Random Music Talk LXXV: Party at Pappy's Snatch Palace

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So.....the new Local Natives album is streaming. I only had time to catch the 1st 4 songs, but it's pretty good so far.

Thanks, LeMel, for bringing up listening to Pop on headphones a couple pages back. I did, and it made me appreciate and love the album even more than I already did. It is sad, indeed, that the band have turned their back on so many great tunes and sounds. There's a lot of creativity happening in those songs.

It's also spurred me to jump around through the rest of my huge U2 catalog. How good is the acoustic version of "A Man and a Woman" from the All Because of You single?

So I've heard all three of the Jezabels' EPs and their LP. I think it's absolutely criminal that they aren't among the most popular bands in indie rock. Hayley Mary has one of the sexiest voices I've ever heard (a bit like Karen O meets Kate Bush) and their sound is, for lack of a better word, stirring. Endless Summer and Hurt Me are fucking astounding songs.
Good stuff indeed. They were fun live as well.

Though, like cobl, I haven't listened to the album enough.

I wasn't over the moon about it either. Not much in the way of standouts and the production is horrible. I still love their sound and had a nice time with it, but I didn't like it as much as the debut.

Production wasn't all that great on the first one either, from the 4 or 5 songs I listened to this afternoon.

Anyone a fan of Clinic? I haven't kept up with their recent albums at all. Heard a single from their album last year today and really enjoyed it. I'm still a pretty big fan of Internal Wrangler and Walking With Thee.

Unknown Mortal Orchestra really is an awful band name. Even more so because I almost wrote Unknown Mortal Kombat.

Hey Laz,

Universal Music emailed me a marketing survey, and one of the bands on the list of "Are you interested in music from..." was Deap Vally. I ticked the box.

For answering the survey, I got a download link for a Universal Music sampler, and one of the tracks is from Deap Vally as well.

Looks like they're going to be getting some marketing push this year.

Hey Laz,

Universal Music emailed me a marketing survey, and one of the bands on the list of "Are you interested in music from..." was Deap Vally. I ticked the box.

For answering the survey, I got a download link for a Universal Music sampler, and one of the tracks is from Deap Vally as well.

Looks like they're going to be getting some marketing push this year.

Was just hanging out with those gals last week; record company holed them up in a secluded house to write some more material and a few of their friends went to visit.

Apparently it's been a struggle to maintain their individuality in their dealings with the label; at one point it was strongly suggested they bring in a professional songwriter for help. You can imagine how they feel about that. Every demo they've shared has been micromanaged with really ludicrous suggestions. I'm biased, but I think they have a wealth of material, much of it catchy, certainly enough for an album (which will hopefully be out this summer). They're pretty disenchanted at this point, and feel they're not taken seriously as writers and rock musicians by the suits because of their gender, which is a shame considering they're on the same label as PJ Harvey.

Anyway, they have a new music video debuting tomorrow, will post the link when I have it.

And thanks for the support!

The new Toro y Moi album is well done but far too long and samey. With the right DJ, a remix of any of these songs could be a massive hit for him.

original.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom