Random Music Talk LXXV: Party at Pappy's Snatch Palace

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like I could eat a thousand vodka-infused kobe beef sliders right now

Brighten the Corners lacks a 5-4=Unity to really knock you back on your heels

No album needs a 5-4=Unity. Easily the worst track on Crooked Rain. Completely destroys the flow; try Gold Soundz into Range Life, it works perfectly. I always skip it. It makes Hit the Plane Down seem like a masterpiece.

My students love The Planets, by Holst.

They don't like early Ella Fitzgerald all that much.

Everyone should love The Planets by Holst. It's just about the best thing ever. One of the very first things I bought the minute I got a record player.

And dont you knooooooooooooooooooooooooooow
Don't you know
That it's wrong to take
What he's giving you

u2popmofo said:
Has anyone listened to the band, Foxygen?

Yeah, I heard their debut in anticipation for the new one. They're a little cute with their psych rock/glam thing, but they have potential. I liked the album.

corianderstem said:
Is that pronounced as Foxy Jen, or like Oxygen with an F?

I've been rolling with the latter. I hope that it is indeed the case.

u2popmofo said:
You mean the EP? The debut album is coming out next week.

Huh, it's listed as an LP on rateyourmusic. Explains why it was a half hour long.

Anyway, it's slightly grating but good. They have potential.

What did I say before, that it was a sort of career retrospective that didn't break as much ground as the first three? I will still say that is true, to some degree. I'm not sure if that's a bad thing now though. The digressions on Slanted and Enchanted/Crooked Rain are part of what make them such charming records, but they aren't essential to my enjoyment. Brighten the Corners lacks a 5-4=Unity to really knock you back on your heels, but its songwriting is extremely consistent and shows maturity.

If I have any complaints, it's that the album is much stronger at either end, with a weak middle. Stereo, Shady Lane and Date with IKEA are my favorite tracks and they're all up front, and Starlings of the Slipstream and Fin are no slouches either, holding up the back. Not much from the middle has broken through for me yet.

Yeah we'll still have to disagree. I think the Smashing Pumpkins-tinged Old To Begin is as good as anything else on the album (which a gorgeous solo), and it's followed by the epic Type Slowly, which also features beautiful instrumental work from the whole band. Embassy Row is a great rocker with witty lyrics, and then you have the laid-back, loungy Blue Hawaiian.

There's an exotic, spacey (middle eastern would be too reductive, I'm guessing) sound on some of these songs (also touches on We Are Underused and Transport Is Arranged) that make this distinctly otherworldly compared to previous works (the lushness is retained but made more homogenous/rootsy on Terror Twilight). Even the smorgasbord of Wowee Zowee doesn't explore these soundscapes.

If one of your favorites is a generic Spiral Stairs rocker (which is fun, but slight compared to what Malkmus is trying), not surprising you're not appreciating the whole thing more. I think Starlings --> Fin is an amazing conclusion to the album (they're probably my two favorites), but I don't think some of the stuff in the middle is that different in terms of their languidness.

So did Heath Shuler.

d9b8166e-b79c-4ba8-98e8-17e4d20d5cf6.gif

pitbull-bud-light-o.gif

Why do I keep listening to Death Grips albums when I know I'm going to hate them?

No Love Deep Web sounds just like the cover.

Like dick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom