Random Music Talk LXXIII: Mayan Apocalyspe Never Tear Us Apart

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Homogenic is becoming an elite record for me BUT I need to start listening to more Bjork. At this point, it's the only one I go to when I want to hear her. I barely remember what Debut sounds like anymore.

Homogenic got a huge boost from this one winter where I stayed inside and played Super Mario Galaxy way too much while listening to nothing but post-rock, trip-hop and ambient. Good times.

And how fucking good is Joga? Hot damn.

I think Post is pretty much on the same level, so I do reach for it often.

But Homogenic is the clear favorite for me.

That crescendo on the first chorus of The Hunter...:drool:

Somewhat late on this bison discussion, but they do make good burgers.

It's also healthier than beef, and buffalo are generally raised and killed more humanely than cows. There's a whole different ethic around raising buffalo, although as it becomes more popular I worry some of that will be lost. And they are grass fed which is better for us and the environment as well. So unless you're a vegetarian or just don't eat red meat, buffalo is a better choice all around.

Re: Bjork, I probably love Post and Homogenic almost equally although I do think Homogenic is the better record.

I too am a fan of the bison. I first had it at an Atlanta restaurant some years ago. I never saw it on a menu again until last weekend, and I got it again. I was not disappointed.

I thought it was more common. There are some local bison farms though, so it's probably a bit more prevalent around here. Bison steak is pretty great as well.

I've been relistening to a ton of my favorite 2012 albums the last few days. It's been fun.

Re: Post vs. Homogenic

Homogenic was my first Bjork album, so it holds a special place in my heart. But when I look at the tracklistings, I think I honestly enjoy listening to the songs on Post better. Homogenic sounds more mature to me, though, and there's no denying the power of the Joga/Hunter/Bachelorette triple threat.

ETA: As a side note, I once read that Joga was the song Thom Yorke said he wished he had written.

I usually try to begin at the beginning like I just did with Spoon last week.

Speaking of which, listened to their discography in full three times, then just a few albums an additional time or two. No one album blew me away, but it was decent enough stuff.

Maybe I'll give Bjork's discography a whirl, I've got many iTunes gift certificates just waiting to be used.

Besides whatever got some play on MTV back in the day, I'm completely unfamiliar with the music of Bjork, Sugarcubes aside.

Shame on me?

Homogenic is one of my favorite albums ever, for whatever it's worth. It has a unique aesthetic that might not be the most accessible thing in the world, but the beauty of the record is undeniable, in my opinion at least.

Her first 4 albums are all pretty awesome.

Any one else who resubscribed to U2.com not received any shipping notification yet?

I'm aware no one was really wild about Biophilia, but damn if Mutual Core and Solstice weren't two of the best songs of the last few years.

I liked Biophilia quite a bit more than Volta, but admittedly haven't listened to it in the last year. There are a number of songs on Medulla I like, it's probably my favorite of the last 3, but can totally understand why some hate that album.

Post and Homogenic are both great. I've only heard those and Debut and Biophilia however.

Homogenic, I believe, is my favorite.

This surprises me, NSW, that you are not familiar with her work. She seems like one of those artists you would be all about.

I just like to use that smiley every once in a while. I think it's funny, and it reminds me of a simpler time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom