Random Music Talk LVI: Featuring Hologram Shouter and NSW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i dug up the arcade fire cover of "born on a train," and am thinking it was a minor miracle that it made me ever interested in hearing the original. it's dreadful. if it was better than the band's actual songs from that in-studio session (as my memory serves), then it's no wonder i didn't keep any of those mp3s. of course, i actually liked the arcade fire at the time and pretty much can't stand them anymore, so that also may have something to do with it.

lately i've felt strangely compelled to buy a ukelele.

i'm trying to remember the savage garden single that came out before truly madly deeply, but all i vaugely remember is some spin-y camera stuff in the video which may have not even existed.

I didn't quite end up liking Tramp as much as I hoped I would :(

Call me wrong, call me a Joke or a Lie, but Sharon's voice seems pretty monotonous, she's got this drawl that I find annoying, almost like she's deliberately not opening her mouth when she sings. Or something. It's a decent record though, and I'll probably come back to it. Serpents rules and All I Can, We Are Fine and Joke or a Lie are all pretty great.

LemonMelon said:
Martha, this is the worst version of Bell Bottom Blues I've ever heard. Eric keeps forgetting lyrics and it's played at like 1/4 speed. Reminds me of U2's Walk On performances from the past couple tours.

Otherwise, this concert has kicked ass so far and was a great recommendation. Can't wait for Let It Rain and Crossroads.

EDIT: Pete Townshend just told the crowd that Eric Clapton has STDs. Awesome.

The bits between songs are great and weren't on the lp. It's a terrific record. Now I'm going to take it with me on my mini road trip today.

cobl04 said:
I didn't quite end up liking Tramp as much as I hoped I would :(

Call me wrong, call me a Joke or a Lie, but Sharon's voice seems pretty monotonous, she's got this drawl that I find annoying, almost like she's deliberately not opening her mouth when she sings. Or something. It's a decent record though, and I'll probably come back to it. Serpents rules and All I Can, We Are Fine and Joke or a Lie are all pretty great.

Indeed. I have not heard the album, nor do I intend to, but as I've said too many times, she was not that good live. A singer- songwriter should be able to sing.

i dug up the arcade fire cover of "born on a train," and am thinking it was a minor miracle that it made me ever interested in hearing the original. it's dreadful. if it was better than the band's actual songs from that in-studio session (as my memory serves), then it's no wonder i didn't keep any of those mp3s. of course, i actually liked the arcade fire at the time and pretty much can't stand them anymore, so that also may have something to do with it.

I think it's about 10x better than the original.

:shrug:

I like them, but I'd be the first to admit that their music hasn't exactly aged well, and you really have to be in the mood to listen to them.

I actually know that.

That is a hilarious typo and I'm glad I didn't make the slightest effort to change it. I may even call him that from now on.

Traffic was definitely a good band, but it's not worth the time to learn Steve Winwood's name.

If you can't spell Pete fucking Townshend, you should be banished to EYKIW. Chris Martin is easy enough to work out.

A friend told me that Fiona Apple was coming to town, and there was a presale today. Ticket purchased!

While buying the ticket, I learned that Sinead O'Connor and Sigur Ros had presales going on through the same site at the same time.

Sinead - bought. Yay!

Sigur Ros - shut out. Crossing fingers I'll get a ticket in the general sale tomorrow. It's not a huge venue, and I bet they're going to go fast. The site crashed, the venue said it was due to Sigur Ros' high demand, but I imagine that having 3 presales at once was not a great idea.

Yeah, it's a bummer. A lot of people don't realize how seminal The Band really were. I could go for a Last Waltz viewing.

u2popmofo said:

I like them, but I'd be the first to admit that their music hasn't exactly aged well, and you really have to be in the mood to listen to them.

I liked neon bible a lot. And there are still a handful of songs that I enjoy off it, but the number just seems to be decreasing over the years. My brother is under the impression that arcade fire fans consider neon bible their worst album, but I don't really care what arcade fire fans, or my brother for that matter, think. Honestly, I can't complain since it technically makes them responsible for me at least being aware of the magnetic fields, despite my current obsession being years delayed.

I was trying to follow, and not sure I did correctly. Are you saying this about Arcade Fire?

If so, I'm surprised to read that; thought you still really liked them. Can you describe what you mean by "hasn't aged well"? As in you just don't care for it anymore, or is there something about the sound?

I'm trying to express why I find that so startling, and I don't know if I can be objective in it - it might just be because their albums are still stellar in my mind, and the songs I consider favorites never fail to make me feel so fantastic.

Okay. I went back and read that exchange and thought they were talking about an Arcade Fire cover of something ....

If that's the case, then never mind, I fail at reading comprehension.

Edit: Magnetic Fields ... Blur .... Arcade Fire ........ now I see why I was confused. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom