Random Music Talk LIII: Even more fun than the last thread!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
first world problems

I'm listening to a song with a hidden track, so I never wait all the way until the end and it doesn't enter my playcount. :crack:

0STKI.png

corianderstem said:
IWB - ooh, yeah. Just recently got into The Tossers thanks to a recommendation from a friend.

I need to dig deeper into the Pogues' discography.

The Tossers have some pretty good stuff and are a lot of fun live. I particularly like the purgatory album. Also decent would be Gaelic Storm (although I haven't listened to them in a few albums, so I don't know what they're doing anymore). Enter the Haggis were good, but last I heard they sounded kind of like a Celtic version of phish and I'm not sure how I feel about that. I've never really liked Black 47, but they're another band that sort of owe their entire existence to Shane Macgowan and/or the dubliners. There's the pubcrawlers from Maine, they're definitely more on the punk rock side of things (again another band I haven't checked up on in a few years since I drove up to Portland to see them about five or six years ago). I think Neck are pretty decent, and i believe theyre actually from Ireland...flatfoot 56 (another chicago band) do the whole punk rock with bagpipes thing, but have definitely been veering off toward Christian rock sort of stuff, those guys are some of the nicest dudes out there and wicked good live. Um, blackthorne had a couple decent songs as did the prodigals and that's just about all I can think of without going through my iPod and listing off bands loosely fitting the genre. I'm sure I forgot a bunch.

Everyone needs more Pogues in their lives.

And the singer from Greenland whale fisheries sounds pretty much exactly like Shane MacGowan (who of you google because you forgot if his name was spelled mc or mac, second most common searched other than just his name is "Shane MacGowan teeth" :lol: ). Although the only thing I know about that band is I found five or six songs of theirs a while back on their MySpace or somewhere, thought they were alright, and that's it.

In regards to Motion Picture Soundtrack, I wanted to make sure you guys realized that now in the digital age you can just click on the progress bar of the song and skip all the dead air time after the track ends to go straight to what you want to hear.

In regards to Motion Picture Soundtrack, I wanted to make sure you guys realized that now in the digital age you can just click on the progress bar of the song and skip all the dead air time after the track ends to go straight to what you want to hear.

Well, it's like my wireless internet connection. Does it keep cutting out every 2-3 minutes? Yeah. Does turning Airport off then on again fix it? Yeah. Is it still a little annoying to have to do? Yup.

I guess what I'm saying is I need to call tech support.

The Tossers have some pretty good stuff and are a lot of fun live. I particularly like the purgatory album. Also decent would be Gaelic Storm (although I haven't listened to them in a few albums, so I don't know what they're doing anymore). Enter the Haggis were good, but last I heard they sounded kind of like a Celtic version of phish and I'm not sure how I feel about that. I've never really liked Black 47, but they're another band that sort of owe their entire existence to Shane Macgowan and/or the dubliners. There's the pubcrawlers from Maine, they're definitely more on the punk rock side of things (again another band I haven't checked up on in a few years since I drove up to Portland to see them about five or six years ago). I think Neck are pretty decent, and i believe theyre actually from Ireland...flatfoot 56 (another chicago band) do the whole punk rock with bagpipes thing, but have definitely been veering off toward Christian rock sort of stuff, those guys are some of the nicest dudes out there and wicked good live. Um, blackthorne had a couple decent songs as did the prodigals and that's just about all I can think of without going through my iPod and listing off bands loosely fitting the genre. I'm sure I forgot a bunch.

Everyone needs more Pogues in their lives.

Cool, thanks, I want to check some of that stuff out. I think I've heard of Gaelic Storm, but thought they were one of those bland PBS crap things like Celtic Woman. :lol:

There are very few Black 47 songs I like a lot, but after reading Larry Kirwan's autobiography, I picked up a few more of their CDs. Good book.

So 1978-1984 used to be a weak area for me musically, not a whole lot that I enjoyed besides U2 and REM. Now I'm all about Joy Division, The Cure, Simple Minds, Blondie, Kraftwerk, The Cars, Elvis Costello, Replacements, etc.

However, I still haven't found a whole lot from 1985-1990 that I can get into. I'm adamantly against the concept of any period of popular music being significantly weaker than any others, and I want to be proven right. What are some of your favorite albums from this period of music? I need suggestions.

The Joshua Tree

:)

Okay, looking at my iPod, here are some of my favorites from that time period (not counting the obvious U2 and REM). I don't think anyone's going to argue for the "greatness" of some of these, but what the hell, these were my favorites.

a-ha - Scoundrel Days
Duran Duran - Notorious
Paul Simon - Graceland / The Rhythm of the Saints
Prince - Sign O' the Times
Sinead O'Connor - The Lion and the Cobra / I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got
Sting - Nothing Like the Sun (shut up, I love this album)
10,000 Maniacs - In My Tribe
Bob Dylan - Oh Mercy
The Cure - Disintegration
Depeche Mode - 101 (live albums spanning work from multiple years probably doesn't count, but damn, I love this album)
Madonna - Like a Prayer
Paul McCartney - Flowers In the Dirt
Indigo Girls - Nomads Indians Saints
The Sundays- Reading, Writing and Arithmetic

Yeah, most of my favs from that period are U2, The Cure, and REM. :wink:

I'll have to take a look at my collection tonight and add in others.

All I ever seem to listen to from there is Joshua Tree, Disintegration and assorted hip-hop. If I liked heavy metal at all, that might help.

Speaking of Sinead, man, those albums have both held up really well.

Also, her new album is very good. Happy I bought it, even though I hadn't heard anything from it, just read a few good reviews.

Yay!

I was so disappointed when I finally got around to getting the DVD of it from Netflix. I didn't realize it had all that extra stuff in it - I just wanted to see the concert I'd been listening to and loving for so many years!

Back
Top Bottom