Random Music Talk CXX - Cobbler Returns to Amoeba

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just saw a thing that reminded me Elliot Smith died in 2003, and now I feel old.

Last night I watched a documentary from 1998 on Mark Linkous of Sparklehorse and reminded of how great his music was and realized he has been gone for 7 years now ☹️

We never post about Peter Gabriel in here, esp now that Ashley has disappeared, but that guy rules. Red Rain ftw.

Where did Ashley go, anyway? I can find her on FB and say hey, but I'm doing my part to get to 1,000.

I wish the trend of articles with "We need to talk about..." in the title would descend back to hell.

I can safely say that one of my top five live experiences ever was seeing Mase from De La Soul doing the Feel Good Inc laugh live. I will never forget that. So fucking awesome.

If you post another self-referential thread I am having you committed to a psychiatric facility.

It's getting to the point that this is almost Random Cobbler Talk. What's the breakdown of Cobbler's self-referential thread titles to others making thread titles that reference him?

We never post about Peter Gabriel in here, esp now that Ashley has disappeared, but that guy rules. Red Rain ftw.

I irrationally hated Peter Gabriel for years because of Phil Collins*, but the guy I work with loves Peter Gabriel and I've come around to realizing he has songs a lot better than Solsbury Hill (which I came around to liking when Khananda put it on an ICDE mix back in the day).

*I also hated George Michael for years too because at some point in my life I somehow mixed up Wham and Genesis, therefore erroneously associating him with Phil Collins. My hatred of Phil Collins made me miss out on a lot of music actually.

*I also hated George Michael for years too because at some point in my life I somehow mixed up Wham and Genesis, therefore erroneously associating him with Phil Collins. My hatred of Phil Collins made me miss out on a lot of music actually.

That is one hell of a mix-up. Bubblegum pop ditties vs epic bucolic prog suites. :lol:

That's almost as good as my partner mistaking Billy Idol for David Bowie.

Ashley works 6-7 days a week now to get us of our shitty apartment and is perilously close to a nervous breakdown. Thanks for asking!

Last edited:
Last night I watched a documentary from 1998 on Mark Linkous of Sparklehorse and reminded of how great his music was and realized he has been gone for 7 years now ☹️
This post, along with the Pitchfork review, encouraged me to listen to Good Morning Spider. I had only heard his debut before. I enjoyed it a lot. Sparklehorse really is a special artist. Some of his songs are so beautifully melancholic but he can never resist adding some noise. :lol: Happy Man sounds like it could be a big alternative rock hit but of course he had to kill any chances of it being that by recording it in the way he did.

There are some bloody good albums coming from New Zealand this year. I've already banged on about Fazerdaze, whose star is definitely on the rise:

And Mermaidens just put out an excellent album last week. They play these great psychedelic jams with sinister undercurrents, like if Esben and the Witch had the compositional ethos of Warpaint. I love the music video for "Satsuma", a surrealist nightmare of 1970s New Zealand.

She wanted to head down there for the Main Street Electrical Parade anyway before the end of the month, so that may just happen.

I feel enormously grateful for the amount of work she puts in while I continue to get myself off the ground and be a fucking adult for once. I completed my M.A. in the spring and now I'm on track for a teaching credential. If all goes well, I should be able to start teaching secondary English next fall, which I guess would be pretty good for a 27 year-old. I'm also working on an animated television show with Interference's own Bonnie/The Sad Punk, as well as a couple of other colleagues. It's fucking impressive stuff and I might be able to start pitching it around Hollywood in the new year. It's the only thing that could get me to swap out my JNP signature, which is an enormous compliment to it.

And that's your first update on Trashley in years, embedded in the usual avalanche of thread-wrapping posts.

Last edited:
She wanted to head down there for the Main Street Electrical Parade anyway before the end of the month, so that may just happen.
Well I fly in with the family Saturday and we're at Disneyland Sunday (And Cailf Adventure Monday), so if you guys end up going, send me a PM beforehand so we can meet up.
I feel enormously grateful for the amount of work she puts in while I continue to get myself off the ground and be a fucking adult for once. I completed my M.A. in the spring and now I'm on track for a teaching credential. If all goes well, I should be able to start teaching secondary English next fall, which I guess would be pretty good for a 27 year-old. I'm also working on an animated television show with Interference's own Bonnie/The Sad Punk, as well as a couple of other colleagues. It's fucking impressive stuff and I might be able to start pitching it around Hollywood in the new year. It's the only thing that could get me to swap out my JNP signature, which is an enormous compliment to it.

And that's your first update on Trashley in years, embedded in the usual avalanche of thread-wrapping posts.
Good luck with both ventures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom