Random Music Talk CXX - Cobbler Returns to Amoeba

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This new Four Tet track is really good. He's still got it.

“Planet” Review | Pitchfork

I'm now listening to his last two-song LP, Morning/Evening. I didn't get much attention, I forgot about it fairly quickly too, but it's actually pretty good. The first song has a really cool vocal sample through-out.

My lone Bjork moment was U2 related.

Arizona was idiotic in dealing with the MLK Day holiday.

(Set up) We had one put into law by former Gov. Bruce Babbitt then repealed by the ultimate black hat, Governor Evan Mecham. U2 was thrown into that mess by having their first JT show in Tempe, and made a statement denouncing Mecham, who was guilty of far more than this sin and was eventually kicked out of office, and donated to the Recall Mecham campaign. A short time later, an initiative to take the MLK issue to the voters met the proper signature requirements, and polling was showing an easy win for MLK Day supporters on election day. Then NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue felt he needed to “get involved”, and made a rather menacing statement to Arizona that if we did not pass this initiative and secure an MLK Day, the recently-awarded Tempe Super Bowl would be rescinded. Arizona is nothing if not Libertarian-leaning, and this statement was just enough for the anti-MLK Day types to grab on to and push as a “we aren’t told what to do” narrative that obscured their actual reasoning. Then, they made passage almost impossible by splitting the proposition into two…Prop 301 would replace Columbus Day with MLK Day, and Prop 302 would merge Lincoln and Washington days into President’s Day to make room for MLK Day. You could vote for two, but there was confusion and some people who wanted MLK day only voted for one or the other. And just enough of my idiot fellow Arizonans cut their nose to spite their face, mad at the NFL for threatening Arizona. 302 received 49% of the vote. So the Super Bowl was moved to the Rose Bowl, and Arizona was painted as a fiercely racist state (it is not, and has never been, a fair assessment. It exists, but the conservatism in AZ runs more Goldwater/fiscal and Libertarian than social).

So U2 comes on ZooTv, and we STILL have this issue. I am going to get to see Public Enemy on this tour, which is/was/remains my favorite rap group of all time. I like my music political, and Chuck D’s baritone is like no other. But, no…we do not have an MLK Day, so PE is not going to play. They come out, explain their position (I understand completely), and say they understand the U2 crowd is probably not the problem. They rip off an incendiary version of “By The Time I Get to Arizona” and leave.

Leaving us with the Sugarcubes. I don’t know if this is true, but it sure seemed like they filled that extra set time, because I could swear they did a headliner set of 2 hours. It just kept going. And going. And going. (like this post. Yeah...yeah)

I am sure people loved it. Music is personal taste, and yeah, you can tell a fair amount about someone by the totality of their listening patterns, but individual variances occur. I cannot stand Bjork. And that day solidified it.

Last edited:
I am loving these long posts, btw, Wide Awake.

Not a Bjork fan, either, but without the good excuse you have.

I need to scale them down, though. Bad habit. My job requires detailed "story telling", but I badly need an editor.

Thanks, though!

I've never been able to get into Bjork either.

I'm definitely a Four Tet fan though. Doesn't inspire much in me but for background music it doesn't get much better.

only thing I heard from Four Set was Morning/Evening EP and it was great; those songs had moods and atmospheres that were appropriate for their titles. I also heard OPN remix of Evening and it was cool too

I consider myself a Björk fan, but her music has become increasingly esoteric. I mean, it has always been out there to begin with, and now it's even crazier. It takes being in a certain mood to listen to her most recent stuff, a mood I'm never in these days.

Not a Björk hater at all, and I own all her records. Just at a place in my life where I prefer either rocking out or listening to upbeat, more accessible stuff. I respect Vulnicura but am rarely in a mood for it.

Yeah I get it. Bjork just occupies one of those "how dare you criticize her" spaces for me.

Just like Laz and HTDAAB. (Joking)

Shut the hell up.

Bryan_Adams_WUTN.jpg

I listened to that new Four Set track and it's pretty amazing! it's fusion of dance music and ambient experimentation he's done for a while

I prefer Vespertine to Homogenic but they're both great.

Vulnicura is indeed a great album and return to form after Biophilia. I'm not sure if I've heard the albums before that.

It's such a shame that Mark Kozelek turned into a full-blown cunt because Benji is still the most remarkable album released this decade.

He was great long before that, long enough that I'm pretty happy with his discography at this point. If he never puts out another good album again, I'll always have Down Colorful Hill, Rollercoaster, Ocean Bridge, Perils From the Sea, Ghosts of the Great Highway, April and Benji.

Ghosts is a wonderful album. I was introduced to it through Liam, who sent me a link to Duk Koo Kim, which is one of the greatest songs ever.

Yeah I get it. Bjork just occupies one of those "how dare you criticize her" spaces for me.
i saw her dj set at day for night last year, and it was honestly the kind of thing any person could come up with. so many people got really upset about not being able to see her although i didn't care too much, although it did make it feel like i was just in a club. but the quality of her set made me feel glad it was a part of a festival. if i'd just seen her at a venue somewhere, i would've really felt like i'd wasted my money.

It's such a shame that Mark Kozelek turned into a full-blown cunt because Benji is still the most remarkable album released this decade.

i need to listen to that Sun Lil Moon/Jesu album that i pretend to try to listen to for a while

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom