Random Movie Talk XV: You Asked For It, Cobbler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The most attractive Shelley Duvall has ever looked is in Altman's 3 Women, which is an excellent psychological drama.

Anyone here use Letterboxd? If so, add me.

https://letterboxd.com/u2popmofo/

giphy.gif

One of the best films of the 90s, IMO. And Spike Lee's best, retains the energy of Do The Right Thing but on a much larger canvas.

I can't say BlacKkKlansman is up on that level, but it still packs a major punch and has a lot of bravura moments that are pure Spike. Far worse films have won Oscars. I'll be pulling for him.
Watched BlacKkKlansman last night. Holy hell, that ending. I wasn't expecting the cut to all of the Charlottesville footage. That definitely packs a major punch, as you say. This has to be the best anti-Trump movie made so far. I mean, the fucker's only been in office for two years but still. Loved it.

It's pronounced "lay-oh-nay."

"E" vowels have either an "ay" sound (long) or an "eh" sound (short) in Italian.

Last edited:
i work with a ton of australian colleagues and it never fails to amaze me how, every one of them, any time they say the word "so" or "no" they somehow manage to pronounce every vowel in that one syllable.

Watched The Wife the other day, and I was really surprised by how amusing it was. And a much better film than most of the BP noms I've seen so far.

I was turned on by both Rachel Weisz and Emma Stone in THE FAVOURITE.

But seriously I loved this movie and I hope it does well at the Oscars. So funny and weird and unpredictable and brilliantly acted.

I've now seen 6 of the Best Picture noms and I'm still hoping BlacKkKlansman wins it but I wouldn't have a problem with The Favourite winning either.

In a vacuum, I'd probably say The Favourite is the best of the 6 I've seen (I refuse to watch Bohemian Rhapsody, Green Book, and Vice).

If I had a ballot and was an actual Academy member, I'd have a hard time not voting for BlacKkKlansman in Picture and Director.

Roma is the most overrated film of the year.

If Beale Street Could Talk, First Reformed, and Cold War should have received more noms, including Best Picture.

I've seen all 8 and The Favourite is hands down the best of the batch and one of the best of the year. Every aspect of it is expertly executed.

Roma gets second place, great film with sumptuous cinematography and impressive long takes. Parts of it were very emotional as well.

Black Panther and BlacKKKlansman are the only other ones deserving of a nomination. They're quite good but definitely wouldn't be in my top 8, though I am happy for Spike Lee and it's hilarious that a superhero film has finally been nominated.

Green Book and A Star Is Born are pleasant when you're watching them but fall apart when you take a second to think about them. They're crowd pleasers and will probably do well.

Bohemian Rhapsody and Vice are garbage. Bohemian Rhapsody feels like it was written by a 10 year old who spent a half hour on the Queen wiki and forgot what he read. Let's also not forget that a pedophile directed it. Fuck that movie, just listen to Queen for two hours instead. Vice has some of the most inconsistent tone and pacing I've seen in a while, to say nothing of the hamfisted comedy. Bale is really good, but that's about it for positives.

If you're not really feeling the awards this year, spend the night watching Eighth Grade, Burning and Won't You Be My Neighbor instead. They're all way better than pretty much the entire BP category.

Last edited:
Objectively I can see how people like The Favourite, but I couldn't get into it. Maybe it was partly because I'd recently rewatched Peep Show and it felt like Anne was a hyper-exaggerated version of Sophie and it was all a bit too over the top.

Roma gets second place, great film with sumptuous cinematography and impressive long takes. Parts of it were very emotional as well.

I wasn't a fan of the super-sharp, deep focus digital look. I understand the reasoning for that aesthetic (he said he wanted the past to feel immediate and not like an old photograph), but it's too clinical for my taste. I also felt the camerawork in general served to keep me at an arm's length instead of drawing me into the characters and setting. Cuarón supposedly made this in tribute to his family housekeeper, but it still seems like he's making his aesthetic the star of the film over everything else.

Not to mention it was shot in color and painted in post-production. To give an award to someone (who isn't even a legit cinematographer) when the colorist likely did a big portion of the work, seems to be misunderstanding the art of photography. And I'm not against digital on principle.

Cold War's b&w is traditional, high contrast work but it's still absolutely gorgeous and would be a much more deserving winner. As would If Beale Street Could Talk, which shamefully wasn't even nominated. I wanted to fall into that film and never leave.

The last hour of Roma gets really fucking heavy. I wasn't sure about it at first but grew to like it a lot.

Also, that Fermin guy is a total asshole. Go practice your martial arts routine while hanging dong somewhere else, you heartless bastard.

More like Vermin amirite

You know you fucked the wrong guy when they respond to "you got me pregnant" by kiaiing in your face.

Glad you mentioned that scene, because it displays my biggest issue with the film. At no point during that confrontation do we get to see Cleo’s face, her reaction to his cruelty. I don’t know if Cuarón didn’t have faith in his actress to show the necessary emotions, whether he shot a reaction and didn’t use it, or if he was making an aesthetic decision. Either way, it doesn’t work, and misses an opportunity to connect us better to what is a thinly-written character. And because of this, what is intended to be the climactic emotional moment,
Cleo on the beach confessing to the family that she didn’t want the baby,
feels hollow and unearned. Because she never talked about those feelings before, nor did we get the non-verbal impressions that would have tuned us into them.

Now I realize a lot of people were still really affected by that big scene, but I think it’s just because they are easily manipulated by cheap sentiment and this kind of device (i.e. a dead child, which Cuarón also employed in the equally-overrated Gravity). The work of the actual writing just wasn’t done, and you don’t have an actress experienced enough to overcome that deficiency.

Back
Top Bottom