Purchase Advice: Fernandes Retrorocket Elite (599 USD) - Go for it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sushbone

Babyface
Hi (and happy new year) everyone,

I am looking for a Fernandes Retrorocket Elite and desperately need your help.
Currently the Elites are available to an really good price it seems, compared what they cost before. 599USD.
So for me, sent to Germany, it would be 430 Euros + Shipping + tax, so about 600Euros/820USD. Seems like a great price. Regularly you paid ~1100 Euros here before. I guess thats due to Fernandes' switch to the new series "Retrorocket Elite JP" made in Japan in 2012/13.

Should I consider anything when buying one of those remaining Retrorocket Elites, here from Korea? Anything thats different from other (probably older) Retrorocket Elites? E.g., as far as I know Edge from U2 didnt like the set-neck of the Elites, that why he changed/updated a Retrorocket Pro (dont know which year, probably older) with the bolt-on neck. Afaik Edge had a 2003 Elite and a 2009 Retrorocket Pro built to Elite specs (due to the bolt-on vs set-neck). But is that really an issue (quality related)? In the end it wont be an original Edge one anyway, as he seems to have customized his guitars specially the 2009 one (I tend to avoid customizing). But I want the sound for Ultraviolet and WOWY! :)

Example:
Thats one of the current offers, 599 USD, Retrorocket Elite, new:
Retrorocket Elite - Fernandes Guitar Shop

retrorocket-elite.jpg

There is one guy from the UK who sells a 2001 Retrorocket Elite (from Japan) for ~900 Euros.
Fernandes Retrorocket Elite Sustainer Guitar. Original Issue 2001. | eBay
1423.l2648

At least it seems it has the different bolt-on neck, but no maple board and no locking mechanic (?). Do you thing spending another 300 Euros would be
worth it to get the 2001 one? I normaly tend to spend extra money for more vintage guitars if I've the feeling its worth it, but in this case It would be almost the double price, and I am not sure if it would make sense here. What would you do, jump on a vintage version, or would you buy one of those 599USD offers with the Elite from Korea?
Currently I tend to do the last thing, 599 USD from the USA, being happy to paid a small price (and I like the newer 2tone finish). What do you think?

Every small hint would be really kind and appreciated!
Thanks a lot!!!
Joerg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom