Pleban Girls Party - Futbol fever

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:hug: Fly I'm so sorry your dealing with all of that at once. :heart: We are definetly always here for you. I've missed you, but I totally understand you've had so much going on. :love:

I'm not sure what all has been going on Fly, but I hope you know you have plenty of people to turn to if you need a friend to listen and offer support. :hug: :heart:

It sounds like you're going through some really hard times. :heart: I'll be saying an extra prayer for you, and if there is anything I can do please write or email or PM me :hug:

VintagePunk said:

You started a job? When? Where?

Don't know if that was a rhetorical question, but from my experience, you panic, you hurt like hell, you cry, you mourn, you lean on friends and family to carry you through the darkest times, and then eventually you come out the other side with happy memories, and gratitude that your life was enriched by having someone so special in if, even if it was only for a relatively short time. :sad: :hug:

I suppose it was a rhetorical question because rationally I can understand all that...but it's still so difficult. We've had other deaths before in the family, but hers will be the first one that will truly affect me. I didn't see much of my other grandmother and although I was sad when she died just like any death is sad, it isn't the same. :sigh:

Sorry for being such a downer in the thread, it's just nice to get this out to all you girls and I know you'll all listen.

The one upshot to all of this happening is that it has brought the rest of my family closer, especially me and my cousins. And observing her nursing care has been quite interesting and has motivated me even more to be the most caring and compassionate nurse I can be to the WHOLE family in times of illness and grief. I know my grandma will be proud of whatever I accomplish in the future.

It's funny, I had this weird sinking feeling back in May that being in Ireland just wasn't right. Now, I'm very glad I came home to be here for her and everyone else. Being able to have seen where she came from and hear how fond of her everyone is back there is really touching in regards to her current state.

Ah rambling... :heart:

Nighty night Sami :hug: :heart: Sweet dreams.

Fly I totally understand how you feel. My grandmother was a huge reason I am the person I've become. And she is fading away pretty quickly. She lives in Arizona in a home now and I talk to her on occasion, but she really doesn't know who I am anymore or feel comfortable talking to me. I miss her already. :( But I'm thankful that when I was young she was a big part of my life. I think she would be happy knowing that I've taken the things she taught me and used them to make myself happy and shared them with others. :heart:

Oh and the job! Sorry, I missed that part earlier. :)

I got just a part-time job at SilverCity, the movie theatre here. I'm working in the concession right now (which is where everyone starts) and it's just minimum wage. So nothing glamorous, but at least it's something. I was really hoping for that job at the hospital but it turns out they only had one scanner so they didn't need another person. In hindsight though, I'm glad I didn't get something full-time right now anyway. It allows for days off to take the bus up to Toronto to be with my grandma.

Night Sami :hug:

Fly, it's funny how life works out, isn't it? The whole Ireland trip? You really did end up where you were needed. And it's so cool that you got to spend time with her relatives over there. :heart:

Nght GG :hug:

FlyYourKite said:
Oh and the job! Sorry, I missed that part earlier. :)

I got just a part-time job at SilverCity, the movie theatre here. I'm working in the concession right now (which is where everyone starts) and it's just minimum wage. So nothing glamorous, but at least it's something. I was really hoping for that job at the hospital but it turns out they only had one scanner so they didn't need another person. In hindsight though, I'm glad I didn't get something full-time right now anyway. It allows for days off to take the bus up to Toronto to be with my grandma.

:hyper: At least I ain't the only one....but I used to work at a movie theater. Yea....I started out in concession too.....pain in my butt :grumpy:

You may like it now....but it may take on you once in a while.....but I have faith that you will do much better than I ever did :hug:

Just wanted to share these with you girls, they were taken about two weeks before she was diagnosed with the anerysum and admitted to the hospital. I'm so glad she got to spend time with her two great-granddaughters when they were up from Texas. :heart:

IMG_3809.jpg

All the grandchildren & great grandchildren, minus my cousin Elizabeth who was house hunting with her fiance at the time.

IMG_3816.jpg

Her three children, my mom is on the left.

VintagePunk said:

Fly, it's funny how life works out, isn't it? The whole Ireland trip? You really did end up where you were needed. And it's so cool that you got to spend time with her relatives over there. :heart:

:lol: More and more I'm believing in that 'everything happens for a reason' thing. It seems to be ringing so true right now. :)

Good night Sami :hug: Good Night GG :hug: Sweet Dreams girls!

Fly I think you have a good perspective on things, a part time job allows you to have something to do that keeps your mind occupied and still leaves you the freedom you need to be able to go through this with her and with your family. It's not easy, I've been there myself. My grandmother's time spent in Nursing care facilities was thankfully short, for her sake. She didn't like having to be there, and the first place she stayed had a few nurses which were inept and thoughtless. :madwife: I'll never forget how mad I was at that place or how good it felt to be able to bring her to a better facility.

but having that time allowed her and the family time to spend together in the end, and there was definitely a peace that came with that. It's so hard to know someone you love is suffering, but you don't always get the chance to tell them goodbye, either. :heart:

VintagePunk said:

How old is she?

She's 89, turning 90 on August 3rd. We had to cancel her party that we had booked in a nice hall. If she's still living at that time she will be in the hospital regardless because she's not coming out. It was heartbreaking to cancel because she had been looking forward to the party so much; people were coming from Ireland and everything.

But ah well, we can't be selfish with people we love when it is their time, can we?

FlyYourKite said:

She's 89, turning 90 on August 3rd. We had to cancel her party that we had booked in a nice hall. If she's still living at that time she will be in the hospital regardless because she's not coming out. It was heartbreaking to cancel because she had been looking forward to the party so much; people were coming from Ireland and everything.

But ah well, we can't be selfish with people we love when it is their time, can we?

Wow, she looks great in those pictures!! :) I would have guessed her much younger.

She looks so happy surrounded by her family. I'm sure she's filled with the peace and serenity of having lived a good life, and knowing that so many people love her. :heart:

Sad_Girl said:

Fly I think you have a good perspective on things, a part time job allows you to have something to do that keeps your mind occupied and still leaves you the freedom you need to be able to go through this with her and with your family. It's not easy, I've been there myself. My grandmother's time spent in Nursing care facilities was thankfully short, for her sake. She didn't like having to be there, and the first place she stayed had a few nurses which were inept and thoughtless. :madwife: I'll never forget how mad I was at that place or how good it felt to be able to bring her to a better facility.

but having that time allowed her and the family time to spend together in the end, and there was definitely a peace that came with that. It's so hard to know someone you love is suffering, but you don't always get the chance to tell them goodbye, either. :heart:

:yes: I feel the same way SG. It's nice to be able to take your mind off things for at least a bit of time, or else I think I'd go crazy dwelling on it constantly! I'm really missing school right now for some odd reason.

I'm so sorry to hear about your grandmother's treatment at that particular facility. Hearing things like that makes me so angry, I can't imagine what it must be like to actually witness and be on the receiving end of it. :| :hug:

VintagePunk said:

Wow, she looks great in those pictures!! :) I would have guessed her much younger.

She looks so happy surrounded by her family. I'm sure she's filled with the peace and serenity of having lived a good life, and knowing that so many people love her. :heart:

:yes: I can't get over the amount of love so many people have for this woman. :heart: It's incredible.

But enough about me, yikes I just take over the thread here. :lol: How are all you girls doing? Any news to share?

Sad_Girl said:

:hug:

The way that some people treat the elderly is shameful. :|

FlyYourKite said:

:yes: I feel the same way SG. It's nice to be able to take your mind off things for at least a bit of time, or else I think I'd go crazy dwelling on it constantly! I'm really missing school right now for some odd reason.

I'm so sorry to hear about your grandmother's treatment at that particular facility. Hearing things like that makes me so angry, I can't imagine what it must be like to actually witness and be on the receiving end of it. :| :hug:

Thankfully it was never anything cruel or that hurt her (though there was some potential with neglect.) :angry: it was things like not having treatments at the right times and such. She had COPD so her breathing treatments were of the utmost importance. They were not treated that way at all, which could have been really bad. But believe me, my grandma didn't just put up with it. She was an O'dell, after all, and had a very Irish temperment :love:

Hi everyone! :hug: I can only stay a quick minute, as I'm at my parent's place, and they only have dialup. Thankfully it's relatively quick, but they have to pay for however much time they use and I've already used a fair bit sending emails, etc. :lol:

We had a big party here to watch the hockey game! :hyper: Man, that was a lot of fun! I'm so glad Edmonton still has a chance to win the cup! :heart:

Hope all of you have had a good weekend so far! :hug:

Not much going on here, Fly. I have to have a tooth extracted on Monday, and I'm trying not to think about it. :sad: :yikes: Dissing some fathers, appreciating others. :lol: Trying to get my ass moving on my thesis. :reject: Been hearing from the boy again lately, and I've made some decisions, and that feels good.

Thora! :hug:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom