PLEBA Misc U2 News and Articles #2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
2ild4ic.jpg

Found this courtesy of the Twitter machine. :love:

Bono, Timberlake to perform at Haiti benefit

BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. – George Clooney says that his planned benefit for victims of the earthquake in Haiti will include performances from Bono, Sting, Justin Timberlake, Christina Aguilera and Alicia Keys.
Speaking to The Associated Press at the Golden Globes ceremony at the Beverly Hilton Hotel, Clooney said that more than 40 celebrities are expected to attend the Jan. 22 event. The actor said the aim of the benefit is "to show the people of Haiti that the whole world is paying attention."
The benefit, which Clooney and Haitian-born singer Wyclef Jean will host, will be broadcast on more than a dozen broadcast and cable networks.

Bono, Keys for 'Hope for Haiti' event

Monday, January 18 2010, 7:43am EST
By David Balls, Music Reporter

U2 singer Bono and Alicia Keys will perform at the 'Hope For Haiti' TV fundraising telethon, organiser George Clooney has announced.
Sting, Justin Timberlake and Christina Aguilera are also expected to perform at the event, which is intended to show the people of earthquake-ravaged Haiti that "the whole world is paying attention".
Clooney and co-host Wyclef Jean have secured more than 40 celebrities to attend the telethon, scheduled to take place on January 22.
According to the BBC, the 'Hope For Haiti' event will benefit the Red Cross, Unicef, Oxfam America, Partners in Health and Jean's Yele Haiti Foundation.
Song from participating artists will be made available on iTunes, with proceeds going to the relief effort.
The 'Hope For Haiti' telethon is expected to broadcast all MTV platforms on January 22

Legend of Bono's 1987 death threat alive but unsubstantiated

The Arizona Republic, January 18, 2010
By: Richard Ruelas​

The year Arizona was consumed with controversy over Gov. Evan Mecham's decision to cancel a state holiday honoring Martin Luther King Jr. was also the year that the Irish band U2 played four concerts here.
And dealt with death threats, according to the band. According to the oft-told tale, lead singer Bono would be shot while performing the group's ode to King, "Pride (In the Name of Love)."
The band's memory of this 1987 incident has appeared in various books, in magazines and in Bono's induction speech when the band entered the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
However, those involved with the band's concerts here do not remember such threats happening in Arizona, as is recounted in some versions of the story.
"Honestly, I don't recall," said Barry Fey, the promoter who handled both the April shows at Arizona State University's basketball arena and the December shows at the university's football stadium.
Through the years, the death-threat story has changed locations. In most versions, it takes place in Tempe. In one version, it takes place in Los Angeles. And others are less specific, saying it was somewhere in the southern United States.
But crucial elements of the story have remained constant -- particularly that the shooting would occur during "Pride." And Bono's recollection that bassist Adam Clayton stood in front of him as he sang the song, as if he were a bodyguard.
"Something strange happened toward the end of the Joshua Tree tour," Bono said in an interview collected in the oral history U2 by U2, released in 2006. "We had campaigned for Martin Luther King Day in Tempe, Arizona, where the tour opened back in April. There was a governor there called Mecham who was holding out against it, and we had got involved in local politics there and took a stand. We went back to Tempe at the end of the tour, in December, to play the Sun Devil Stadium.
"I was getting death threats throughout the tour....This character was a racist offended by our work, he thought we were messing in other people's business and taking sides with the Black man. One night the FBI said: 'Look, it's quite serious. He says he has a ticket. He said he's armed.'...So we played the show, the FBI were around, everyone was a little unnerved. You just didn't know, could he be in the building?"
Bono said, in the book, that he was singing the third verse of "Pride," the song that was supposed to trigger the shooting.
"I just closed my eyes and sang," he said. "And when I opened my eyes, Adam was standing in front of me."
Neither Tempe police nor Arizona State University police could find a report about the incident. The Phoenix office of the FBI also came up empty. Special Agent Manual Johnson, the FBI's spokesman, said he was at those shows as a fan but could not locate any report of a threat.
Fey, the now-retired concert promoter who lives in Denver, said he did not recall ordering extra security for any of the four Tempe shows as a result of a threat.
Fey did know how the band felt about Arizona's controversy. Before the April shows, he took the stage to read a brief statement on behalf of the band. A review in The Phoenix Gazette said the statement called Mecham's decision "an embarrassment."
Fey said the crowd reacted with cheers both nights.
"I did expect Bono to say something (about the controversy)," he said. "I did not expect to be his spokesman."
Fey said the band became aware of Mecham and the King controversy during four days of rehearsal before the April shows, which began its tour in support of the album The Joshua Tree.
The band returned in December for two shows at Sun Devil Stadium, concerts filmed for its movie Rattle and Hum. In an interview with The Arizona Republic before those shows, Clayton said the band wouldn't be addressing the still-unsettled King holiday issue.
"I don't think it's necessary," he said. "This is not a political event. It's a concert. When we were there the first time, we made our point."
Fans have played guessing games on Web sites, trying to pinpoint where the threat story took place. In some versions of the story, Bono said it happened on the second night of back-to-back shows in the same city. That, coupled with the detail that it took place in a southern U.S. city, helps narrow the possibilities.
A listing of concert dates on the band's Web site shows the band played two nights in Los Angeles on that leg of the tour. The FBI office in that city did not return messages seeking comment. The band also played two nights in Denver, but Fey was the promoter for those shows as well, and didn't recall a threat.
Fey said he thinks Bono sincerely believed his life was in danger when he took the stage, whether it was in Tempe or another city. If the story did take place in Tempe, it's possible someone relayed a warning to the singer but did not share it with Fey, he said.
"He's not one to lie," Fey said.
Still, authorities haven't found what they looked for: hard evidence of a threat against the band in Arizona.
© azcentral.com, 2009

I saw this tonite online on msn... this is the first time i see NY mentioned.
Where is it being held, anyone know????

© APGeorge ClooneyClooney sets lineup for Haiti relief benefit
Jan. 17, 2010, 10:04 PM EST
BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. (AP) -- George Clooney says the "Hope for Haiti" benefit for victims of the earthquake in Haiti will include performances from Bono, Sting, Justin Timberlake, Christina Aguilera and Alicia Keys.

Speaking to The Associated Press at the Golden Globes ceremony at the Beverly Hilton Hotel, Clooney said that more than 40 celebrities are expected to attend the Jan. 22 event. The actor said the aim of the benefit is "to show the people of Haiti that the whole world is paying attention."

The benefit, which Clooney and Haitian-born singer Wyclef Jean will host, will be broadcast on more than a dozen broadcast and cable networks. It will be held in New York, with CNN's Anderson Cooper chiming in from Haiti.

The show will benefit the Red Cross, UNICEF, Oxfam America, Partners in Health and Jean's Yele Haiti Foundation.

Clooney said that songs from participating artists will also be available on iTunes, with proceeds going to the relief effort.

Related: Groups raise doubts about Wyclef Jean's charity

Haiti Quake: How you can help

Copyright 2010 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

There are events at both Madison Square Garden and Radio City, so I don't know where else.

irishtimes.com - Last Updated: Monday, January 18, 2010, 17:22
Assets of former Clayton aide frozen

The former personal assistant of Adam Clayton had her assets frozen indefinitely today over allegations that she defrauded €1.8 million from the U2 bass guitarist.
Clayton sacked Carol Hawkins late last year after she allegedly used his debit and credit cards to pay for cars, a house and jewellery.
The High Court heard that counsel for Ms Hawkins are examining an employment contract which they claim contains a mediation clause.
The two legal teams were also given a timetable for the exchange of documents, including details of the allegations Ms Hawkins is facing.
Defence senior counsel Ken Fogarty agreed to an order preventing Ms Hawkins from allowing her assets to slip below €1.8 million, until further notice.
Mr Fogarty also said there were several clauses in her employment contract, dated from July last year, that were of significance and may benefit both parties.
Neither party was in court and no date was fixed for the next hearing.

Pop & Hiss

The L.A. Times music blog

U2's 'Bad' gets a NASCAR makeover

January 18, 2010 | 11:31 am

Heroin and NASCAR, who knew? U2 fans watching the NFL playoffs on Fox this weekend surely heard what would seem to be an oddly placed song scoring the network's preview of the upcoming Daytona 500: U2's mid-'80s hit "Bad." The commercial features little more than a snippet of one of the Edge's most recognizable guitar riffs -- the few slow, glistening notes that set the table for the song's explosive rock 'n' roll release.
U2 hasn't exactly shied away from commercial endorsements of late, or massive sporting events. Also, anyone who has attended any NFL, NBA or MLB game in recent years has likely heard "Beautiful Day" piped throughout the arena or stadium, further linking U2 with the sporting world. Yet judging by some previous NASCAR-branded music releases, U2 seems to be a bit out of place with the barroom hits and country rock more closely tied to the sport.

Granted, it's more a story these days when rock 'n' roll doesn't appear in a commercial, but are U2 fans ready to have one of the band's most iconic songs forever associated with auto racing? If the quick responses on Twitter are any gauge, then no.
Though Bono's lyrics in "Bad" are vague and open to interpretation, it's a song long believed to be about heroin addiction, making it feel a bit out of place in hyping the Feb. 14 race. It should be noted, of course, that it's not the first time a rock 'n' roll tune about drug use has appeared in a commercial, as Iggy Pop's "Lust for Life" more famously promoted a cruise line.

Sheridan:'U2 sure bet for an Oscar'

By Ken Sweeney Entertainment Reporter
Tuesday January 19 2010

DIRECTOR Jim Sheridan last night tipped U2 to walk off with an Oscar after the group failed to win a Golden Globe for the soundtrack to his new film 'Brothers'.
The band's song 'Winter' was beaten in the Best Song category by singer Ryan Bingham with the theme from film 'Crazy Heart' at a star-studded ceremony in Hollywood on Sunday night.
"I'm sorry the lads didn't win a Golden Globe but I think there's a good chance they could get an Oscar instead for Best Song," Sheridan told the Irish Independent.
The collaboration between Jim Sheridan and U2 came about after Sheridan showed U2 a rough cut of the movie.
'Brothers', a remake of the Danish film 'Brodre', tells the story of a decorated marine who goes missing overseas while his younger brother cares for his wife.
Another Irish nominee who failed to pick up a gong was Dublin actor Brendan Gleeson, in the running for best actor in a TV movie for his portrayal of British prime minister Winston Churchill. But Kevin Bacon won that award for his role in 'Taking Chance'.
- Ken Sweeney Entertainment Reporter
Irish Independent

Sheridan:'U2 sure bet for an Oscar'

By Ken Sweeney Entertainment Reporter
Tuesday January 19 2010

DIRECTOR Jim Sheridan last night tipped U2 to walk off with an Oscar after the group failed to win a Golden Globe for the soundtrack to his new film 'Brothers'.
The band's song 'Winter' was beaten in the Best Song category by singer Ryan Bingham with the theme from film 'Crazy Heart' at a star-studded ceremony in Hollywood on Sunday night.
"I'm sorry the lads didn't win a Golden Globe but I think there's a good chance they could get an Oscar instead for Best Song," Sheridan told the Irish Independent.
The collaboration between Jim Sheridan and U2 came about after Sheridan showed U2 a rough cut of the movie.
'Brothers', a remake of the Danish film 'Brodre', tells the story of a decorated marine who goes missing overseas while his younger brother cares for his wife.
Another Irish nominee who failed to pick up a gong was Dublin actor Brendan Gleeson, in the running for best actor in a TV movie for his portrayal of British prime minister Winston Churchill. But Kevin Bacon won that award for his role in 'Taking Chance'.
- Ken Sweeney Entertainment Reporter
Irish Independent

:up:

The former personal assistant of Adam Clayton had her assets frozen indefinitely today over allegations that she defrauded €1.8 million from the U2 bass guitarist.
Clayton sacked Carol Hawkins late last year after she allegedly used his debit and credit cards to pay for cars, a house and jewellery.
The High Court heard that counsel for Ms Hawkins are examining an employment contract which they claim contains a mediation clause.
The two legal teams were also given a timetable for the exchange of documents, including details of the allegations Ms Hawkins is facing.
Defence senior counsel Ken Fogarty agreed to an order preventing Ms Hawkins from allowing her assets to slip below €1.8 million, until further notice.
Mr Fogarty also said there were several clauses in her employment contract, dated from July last year, that were of significance and may benefit both parties.

Hmmm...I wonder if this means Ad' needs a new personal assistant...
:evil:

Pop & Hiss

The L.A. Times music blog

U2's 'Bad' gets a NASCAR makeover

January 18, 2010 | 11:31 am

Heroin and NASCAR, who knew? U2 fans watching the NFL playoffs on Fox this weekend surely heard what would seem to be an oddly placed song scoring the network's preview of the upcoming Daytona 500: U2's mid-'80s hit "Bad." The commercial features little more than a snippet of one of the Edge's most recognizable guitar riffs -- the few slow, glistening notes that set the table for the song's explosive rock 'n' roll release.
U2 hasn't exactly shied away from commercial endorsements of late, or massive sporting events. Also, anyone who has attended any NFL, NBA or MLB game in recent years has likely heard "Beautiful Day" piped throughout the arena or stadium, further linking U2 with the sporting world. Yet judging by some previous NASCAR-branded music releases, U2 seems to be a bit out of place with the barroom hits and country rock more closely tied to the sport.

Granted, it's more a story these days when rock 'n' roll doesn't appear in a commercial, but are U2 fans ready to have one of the band's most iconic songs forever associated with auto racing? If the quick responses on Twitter are any gauge, then no.
Though Bono's lyrics in "Bad" are vague and open to interpretation, it's a song long believed to be about heroin addiction, making it feel a bit out of place in hyping the Feb. 14 race. It should be noted, of course, that it's not the first time a rock 'n' roll tune about drug use has appeared in a commercial, as Iggy Pop's "Lust for Life" more famously promoted a cruise line.

What the hell is this?!?!

What nerve!! Couldn't happen to a nicer guy. Poor Adam!:hug:

^I mean...what the hell are they doing? Whose idea was this?

But the commerical is actually very nice, don't get me wrong...

BRIAN ENO - ENO'S TERROR OVER U2/COLDPLAY MIX-UP

19 January 2010 19:06

Legendary producer BRIAN ENO was nervous about working with U2 and COLDPLAY at the same time, because he feared he would mix up the recordings and make both bands sound the same.
The hitmaker teamed up with Chris Martin's group to record their last album, Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends, and also headed to the studio with U2 to work on No Line On The Horizon.
The time schedules for the records left Eno juggling work on both, and he was so worried about getting the two groups confused he insisted on using separate computer files for all of the songs.
He tells BBC TV show Arena, "I felt like a philanderer who was with another woman and might make a slip and call her by the wrong name in bed.
"I had one computer that had all of the Coldplay stuff and all the U2 stuff. I had to very carefully label each folder because I was paranoid that I might end up with the same basic track for each group and I wouldn't notice until it was too late."

Brian Eno - Eno's Terror Over U2/Coldplay Mix-Up - Contactmusic News

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=62523

"Hope for Haiti Now" Announces Lineup of Musical Performances
Source:MTV Networks
January 20, 2010

"Hope for Haiti Now: A Global Benefit for Earthquake Relief" today announced its lineup of superstar musical performances. The global telethon will feature performances by Wyclef Jean, Bruce Springsteen, Jennifer Hudson, Mary J. Blige, Shakira, and Sting in New York City; Alicia Keys, Christina Aguilera, Dave Matthews, John Legend, Justin Timberlake, Stevie Wonder, Taylor Swift and a group performance by Keith Urban, Kid Rock, and Sheryl Crow in Los Angeles; and Coldplay, and a group performance by Bono, The Edge, Jay-Z, and Rihanna in a newly added London location. All musical performances will be available for purchase for $.99 per song through the Apple® iTunes® Store beginning Saturday, January 23, with all proceeds benefiting Haiti relief funds managed by "Hope for Haiti Now" charities.

In addition to musical performances, Wyclef Jean in New York City, George Clooney in Los Angeles, and CNN's Anderson Cooper reporting from Haiti, "Hope for Haiti Now" will feature more than one hundred of the biggest names in film, television, and music supporting the cause with testimonials and by answering phones during the telethon.

The Clinton Bush Haiti Fund and United Nations World Food Programme have joined the list of relief organizations that will benefit from "Hope for Haiti Now," which also includes Oxfam America, Partners in Health, the Red Cross, UNICEF, and Yele Haiti Foundation. Proceeds from "Hope for Haiti Now" will be split evenly among each organization's individual funds for Haiti earthquake relief.

"Hope for Haiti Now" will be the most widely distributed telethon in history, both internationally and across media platforms. The two-hour telethon will air on ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, CNN, BET, The CW, HBO, MTV, VH1, and CMT on Friday, January 22, 2010 at 8:00 p.m. ET/PT and 7:00 p.m. CT. "Hope for Haiti Now" will also air on newly added networks including PBS, TNT, Showtime, COMEDY CENTRAL, Bravo, E! Entertainment, National Geographic Channel, Oxygen, G4, CENTRIC, Current TV, Fuse, MLB Network, EPIX, Palladia, SoapNet, Style, Discovery Health, Planet Green, and Canadian networks including CBC Television, CTV, Global Television, and MuchMusic. The event will be live streamed online globally across sites including YouTube, Hulu, MySpace, Fancast, AOL, MSN.com, Yahoo, Bing.com, BET.com, CNN.com, MTV.com, VH1.com, and Rhapsody and on mobile via Alltel, AT&T, Sprint, Verizon, and FloTV. "Hope for Haiti Now" will also air internationally on BET International, CNN International, National Geographic, and MTV Networks International, which is available in 640 million homes worldwide. "Hope for Haiti Now" will be the first U.S.-based telethon airing on MTV in China. Facebook and Twitter have signed on as official social media partners to help drive donations and tune-in to the telethon.

"Hope for Haiti Now" is produced by Joel Gallen and Tenth Planet Productions, in collaboration with Viacom's MTV Networks and George Clooney.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom