PLEBA Misc U2 News and Articles #2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BBC are more than wussies.

The interesting thing to me is, IF this is such a big issue, why has it taken MONTHS to say anything about it?

Actually this made the news in Britain last February.....

Dailymail-23-2-09.jpg

....I know, it's the Daily Mail :yawn: and it's true that a broadcasting company like the BBC have to tread a very fine line when it comes to promotion. But surely even the BBC has the right to have whoever they want to guest star on their shows and to publicize said shows, just like any other commercial TV channel does!? :shrug: The only reason I can see why this has become such a big deal is coz it's U2!! :|

^
^^

unfortunately its all just critics/cynics and the politics/things they have against them.

Best to just let them say what they wanna say and feck off. There just seems to be an enhanced negativity about them here in the U.K.

:shrug:

btw,who was the first????:hmm:

20. Robert Plant
19. Ted Nugent
18. Rob Zombie

17. Bono
It is hard to find anyone in music who has so seamlessly adapted to the changing face of the industry as well as U2's leader. In the angst-ridden early '80s, Bono was the dangerous, edgy revolutionary. By the end of that corporate-controlled decade, he had taken up the mantle of the soulful rocker. In the '90s, he morphed into the cool hipster with a conscience. And in the '00s he became a child of the times with a sociopolitical agenda. Bono has managed to not only himself not only vital, but stayed out on the bleeding edge of what it is to be a great frontman.

16. Robert Smith
15. Marilyn Manson
14. David Bowie
13. Bruce Springsteen
12. Bruce Dickinson
11. Steven Tyler
10. Alice Cooper
9. Jim Morrison
8. Iggy Pop
7. Ozzy Osbourne
6. Gene Simmons
5. Axl Rose
4. David Lee Roth
3. Mick Jagger
2. Freddie Mercury
1. Elvis Presley

I agree Bono should be lower on that list! ;) But I wouldn't really give it much credibility anyways, I think it's just one persons opinion, and they have left off some big ones, while including some that are laughable on a list like that!

From Atu2

U2 Records New Song for Haiti

Still Uncertain About New Album Plans

@U2, January 16, 2010
By: Matt McGee

The Edge says U2 has recorded a new song as part of a Haiti charity project being organized by Jay-Z and Swizz Beatz. The comments aired on today's Dave Fanning radio show on 2FM, after a conversation Friday at Edge's house. Edge explains how the song came about:

"Last night we wrote a song ... Bono got a call from a producer, Swizz. He and Jay-Z wanted to do something for Haiti. So, Bono came up with the phrase on the phone, and last night we were here, we wrote a song -- finished, recorded, and send it back to them. So, that might be the next thing you hear from us!"

What's not certain is when the next proper U2 album will be out. Fanning asked Edge what direction U2 will go in this year -- more ambient material from Fez? Rick Rubin material? Spider-Man material? Or will there be no album in 2010 and instead wait until 2011? Edge replies: "We're asking ourselves exactly the same questions. We don't really know yet. We're working on material here, and it's sounding amazing, but we're far from being certain about what we're gonna do with it."

You can listen online via this page on 2FM. Click "Listen Back" at the top and make sure it says "Jan. 16 2010." The Edge segment starts at 71:15, but he doesn't speak until about the 75:00 mark (after "Stand Up Comedy"). They're mostly talking about It Might Get Loud, and the whole segment runs about 40 minutes. It ends with Fanning playing "Winter," U2's song that's up for a Golden Globe Award on Sunday.

From U2tours

Edge Talks Glastonbury, 2010 Tour with Dave Fanning
January 16, 2010

Source: U2tours.com by m2
Edge spoke about U2's plans for Glastonbury and the 2010 U2 360 Tour on Saturday's Dave Fanning show on 2FM radio in Ireland.

Fanning mentioned that U2 had been playing 4-5 songs per night from No Line On The Horizon [actually, it was usually 6-7 songs], and asked if they'll keep playing as many songs off NLOTH in 2010. Edge replied: "We were actually talking about playing more, maybe changing out some of the songs, changing it around a bit. So, I would think, probably around 4-5-6, somewhere around there. It's hard to say, on a given night, we'd oscillate between dropping one or two. So, it's not a static thing. But we're really happy with how the album sounds live. They stand up, because they are great songs. They stand up with the best U2 songs from previous records. So, in that sense, it's not like, 'Oh, here's a new one ... we get through that to an old classic.' In fact, some people were saying they sound better than the old songs, and I think probably because we're playing them more enthusiastically than some of the old songs, or maybe because they're a little more fresh."

Fanning also asked if U2 was going to try to bring The Claw for its first performance at Glastonbury this June. Said Edge: "I think the Glastonbury production will be the Glastonbury production. We won't bring the claw. We might try and bring a few extra things, but I think that'll be a nice challenge for us -- to do what we do, but do it in a setting that's not ours. Not our stage. Not our production, just whatever happens to be there

From Atu2

U2 Records New Song for Haiti

Still Uncertain About New Album Plans

@U2, January 16, 2010
By: Matt McGee

The Edge says U2 has recorded a new song as part of a Haiti charity project being organized by Jay-Z and Swizz Beatz. The comments aired on today's Dave Fanning radio show on 2FM, after a conversation Friday at Edge's house. Edge explains how the song came about:

"Last night we wrote a song ... Bono got a call from a producer, Swizz. He and Jay-Z wanted to do something for Haiti. So, Bono came up with the phrase on the phone, and last night we were here, we wrote a song -- finished, recorded, and send it back to them. So, that might be the next thing you hear from us!"

What's not certain is when the next proper U2 album will be out. Fanning asked Edge what direction U2 will go in this year -- more ambient material from Fez? Rick Rubin material? Spider-Man material? Or will there be no album in 2010 and instead wait until 2011? Edge replies: "We're asking ourselves exactly the same questions. We don't really know yet. We're working on material here, and it's sounding amazing, but we're far from being certain about what we're gonna do with it."

You can listen online via this page on 2FM. Click "Listen Back" at the top and make sure it says "Jan. 16 2010." The Edge segment starts at 71:15, but he doesn't speak until about the 75:00 mark (after "Stand Up Comedy"). They're mostly talking about It Might Get Loud, and the whole segment runs about 40 minutes. It ends with Fanning playing "Winter," U2's song that's up for a Golden Globe Award on Sunday.

:applaud:

Any news about someone from the band appearing at the Golden Globes tonight?

Doesn't look like they are going.
:(

LOOK HERE GUYS!
Anton is directing a new movie, with the Mr. George Clooney!

Release Date: December 17

The Who: Directed by Anton Corbijn; Starring George Clooney

The Pitch: Another music video director on the list, Anton Corbijn also directed the brilliant film Control, which looked at the life of lead singer for Joy Division Ian Curtis. Him collaborating with Clooney (and in drama about a hired killer) has the potential to be a palpable combination.

:applaud:

^OH, SORRY! I mean't to say "Doesn't"...Sry!

But thats just what I read on MovieBlog.com...

I was wondering the same thing. Is it even worth it to watch the Red Carpet show. They'll probably be there the 2nd hour if they are there.

Well, I'm a sucker for pre shows, as I like to consider myself an arm chair fashion critic, so I will take one for the team. Oh and of course start checking Getty and Wire Images for arrival photos. I like to call it remote stalking. :shifty:

Lastly, ONTD always has an arrivals post which is much fun.

They were on the Red Carpet the last time they were at the Golden Globes. They usually don't do the Red Carpet at the Grammy's anymore. Ill start watching at 7pm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom