Photographers' Union Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Angelordevil great pics especially the one with the statues.

I have another model shoot this Friday. A friend of mine wants to model for me. Mind if I post the results here and get some critiqe?

Sure thing, Justin. One thing I did notice in a few of your shots is that you cut off the model's hands and/or feet. Watch out for that stuff. :) Really dig the shots through the chain link fence, though. :up:

^ It looks like a hole into another world!

Doesn't it? It's truly spectacular there...if you google "Gros Morne" you'll come up with some pics that are much, much better than mine...but I really love that image, and the mirror effect!

Wow - looks amazing there. Nice captures. Hopefully I'll go somewhere with nice landscapes and scenery soon and practice my landscape shooting. DC has pretty limited scenery, and shooting buildings gets to be a bit boring after a while.

We're very fortunate here to be so close to nature...the weather is absolutely horrendous most of the year, but when we do get a stretch of nice weather, it just might be one of the most unique places you could imagine.

Angelordevil great pics especially the one with the statues.
...He gave me his business card and said continue with the great work and we may ask you to go on assignment for us.

Thanks, Justin...and that's pretty awesome. :up:

Diemen, your pics always have a magical quality to them...great stuff.

Diemen, that shot from Yosemite is really beautiful
and Angelordevil, the light on the sides of the buildings in that second photo is really nice. And ya, that last one is really cool too. those mountains look like something out of lord of the rings. very nice :up:

So this is too much fun not to get involved in :) I dont know if these are my favourite shots, but here are 5 of my own

jl.jpg

nybw1.jpg

westwood2.jpg

drivein1.jpg

jul1.jpg

Jive I see your style is very similar to Gregory Crewdson. Very nice work. What camera do you use?

amazing pics, really!! you'd make some photo forums jealous, I been caught up with work, but I'll try to post some of mine by the weekend!

Hey, thanks guys :) as far as equipment goes, a lot of my stuff was shot on different camera systems. These days, its mostly a 5d mkII, but when I was still in school, we were fortunate enough to use P25 digital backs, mounted either on Mamiya 645 medium formats or Arca Swiss 4x5. Way to expensive for me to buy :( but a pleasure to shoot with

Man it is really, really tough for me to narrow down my favorites to just 5 photos.

I could separate it out into top 5 landscapes, top five people pics, etc... eh, I'll go for variety.

One of my first photos from my first photo trip with my Canon 20D back in 2005
web.jpg

Tulips at Filoli Gardens
web.jpg

Vernal Falls in Yosemite National Park
web.jpg

From my very first wedding shoot - which just happened to be that of our very own Mrs. Edge and Cydewaze. :)
web.jpg

From the Smithsonian's Udvar-Hazy Center Air Museum
web.jpg

Wow !!

They are all great !

So this is too much fun not to get involved in :) I dont know if these are my favourite shots, but here are 5 of my own

Nice shots. I saw those on your web site as well.
I like the post-processing and the use of desaturation, lighting angles, lighting amount, etc. to create a certain mood. The images definitely have more impact than if they were presented with just the standard color and lighting settings.

Hey if you apply to iStock you can only submit three!

Have you submitted any images to a stock agency? I've thought about eventually trying it.

I filled out the app once but didn't have much time to select photos so I just sent three I had on hand and they weren't accepted. I need to take some with that in mind. 99% of what I have won't work. Anything taken on my previous cameras (which at this point is still the majority) will not work for size. Plus the stuff I like to shoot is not what they want (flowers, nature, water drops, dogs). They want people, food, industrial things, business type stuff....there's definitely a niche for stock photography but it's not my niche! I'm much happier being asked to do dog shows and dog sporting events.

I really gotta get out and shoot some more. I've hardly taken any photos in a couple of months. I'm heading out to Montauk this week so hopefully I'll be able to get some good shots and the weather cooperates.

I tried a rain drop photo with the Raynox adapter - it's been raining a lot here lately. I might try it again with a wide angle lens because that adapter magnifies so much.

FLOWER.jpg

Nice shots. I saw those on your web site as well.
I like the post-processing and the use of desaturation, lighting angles, lighting amount, etc. to create a certain mood. The images definitely have more impact than if they were presented with just the standard color and lighting settings.

Thanks man. Thats kind of what its all about for me. I think controlling your light is the single most important thing in photography (though it has to be done in combination with other elements to create something really amazing). I just really enjoy the artistic aspect of deciding where to add light, controlling ambient brightness with stobes, coming up with different lighting rigs, etc. When I learned to use strobes properly, it completely changed the way I think about creating photos

Adding 5 of my favourites. Maybe not the "best" photos technically though.

I've been trying (on & off) for a while to get a good moon shot. Finally last night I got a couple

3509139297_41874ffcd4.jpg

The final moments of the A-League Grand Final in 2008 when a controversial decision in the last minute went the Jets (in white) way.

I love the crowd giving it too the opposition & also because I was shooting blindly with my camera over my head.

3511747213_32976d3ff2.jpg

Well, this is a U2 fan site, so from Sydney 3 Vertigo show

3511747209_a11ef20f2b.jpg

The shortest (& hairiest) member of the household.

3511752005_5324f83de2.jpg

A friendly local from a trip to Tasmania earlier this year.

3261906427_39b77d3300.jpg

Thanks man. Thats kind of what its all about for me. I think controlling your light is the single most important thing in photography (though it has to be done in combination with other elements to create something really amazing). I just really enjoy the artistic aspect of deciding where to add light, controlling ambient brightness with stobes, coming up with different lighting rigs, etc. When I learned to use strobes properly, it completely changed the way I think about creating photos

Do you have a studio or access to one? I'll have to take a class in lighting sometime. I might build a mini-studio as well eventually, even though this is just a hobby for me. It didn't look too expensive for some basic softboxes. I've been viewing a few photo streams on flickr, escpecially ones with the 5D II. It seems like good studio lighting takes the shots from this camera (and others) into another stratosphere.

Here's one stream I've been following. He has a humorous theme to his photos, but his lighting technique and post-processing look incredible.

Flickr: aknacer's Photostream

Adding 5 of my favourites. Maybe not the "best" photos technically though.

I've been trying (on & off) for a while to get a good moon shot. Finally last night I got a couple

Nice one of The Edge. What focal length did you use for the moon shot?
I just ordered the 70-200mm f/4 IS lens.

Do you have a studio or access to one? I'll have to take a class in lighting sometime. I might build a mini-studio as well eventually, even though this is just a hobby for me. It didn't look too expensive for some basic softboxes. I've been viewing a few photo streams on flickr, escpecially ones with the 5D II. It seems like good studio lighting takes the shots from this camera (and others) into another stratosphere.

Well at the moment, my roommate and I have a big enough living room space that we convert it into a sort of studio if we have any creatives we want to shoot. We just set up some seamless and hes got a few strobes we use. Theres also a equipment rental shop just around the corner from us for any extra lights, stands, etc. We're looking for a bigger loft/studio space to move into though. If we (mostly him at the moment. hes got a year head start on me :) ) get any commercial work, there are a number of studios in the area that we can rent out. Lighting can be really expensive though. For a pack with a couple of heads, you'd be looking at least $2000. (profoto is one of the top makes. you can see how expensive stuff can get Lighting Studio Profoto Self-Contained Strobe Pro Lighting Kits the new pro-8a pack is $12000 on its own :ohmy: ). But dont be deterred by that. There are always less expensive, self contained heads and light is light. The only difference is you wont have as much control over power output...But definitely take some courses. You wont regret it. Its a fairly simple technique, but if you look at my 'Westwood' shot, that was taken in the afternoon. Thats what I mean about controlling ambient light. Shooting with strobe gives you so many different options when it comes to the mood of your photograph (I do love natural light too though)

Had a long day after another photoshoot. Will post tomorrow. I have a studio lighting kit (strobe and continious light) bought it off ebay for 400 dollars. Not the best but it will do.

Here's a couple I took yesterday out in Montauk on the eastern tip of Long Island. The weather sucked solid clouds with fog. Tried to make the best of it though.

IMG_0520.jpg

IMG_0521.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom