Peace Corps - Romania

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jammin909

Acrobat
So yesterday I received my invitation to serve in Romania with Peace Corps! I am real excited and will be an English Teacher there for 2 years. Just looking for anyone who has been to romania or who lives there for some heads up tips!

congrats!

as a canadian, i've taught english in poland for a while in 2003. amazing experience, and will go back to visit the people next month.

as for romania...do tell where you're going to be teaching. bucharest?

i can't remember if it's in romania or moldova, but the eastern edge of the country is ridiculously dangerous and tourists are warned greatly about avoiding it like the plague.

i'm pretty sure it's moldova though...

Congrats! I did Peace Corps in Bulgaria, Romania's southern Neighbor.

I have a lot of friends who work at the Peace Corps office in DC. They were just at my apartment.

Romania Volunteers usually organize a Halloween party for Peace Corps Volunteers in the region.

The language isn't slavic and is related to French and Spanish (Romance language) and is easier to learn than other languages in surrounding countries.

Have fun ! PM me if questions if you want!

Zoomerang: jammin won't know where the location of the assignment will be until sometime during training!

Congrats and good luck, they need your help! Romania's really, really struggled to keep up after communism left and they've pretty much been forgotten by the rest of the world (or the West at least). I'm going to adopt a baby from Romania some day...

U2democrat said:
:hyper:

awesome!!! i want to do the peace corps when i get out of college. it seems to be some of the best experience anyone could get. :up:

Yes and No, you would be surprised about amount of volunteers who leave early. It depends on the country and how good the staff is, and if you get the right assignment.

I had a good experience but my job assignment was horrible.

The thing about Peace Corps is be flexible have no expectations! NONE!!!

Romania is beautiful and you will close to a lot of cool countries to travel to, jammin!!

I accepted my invite today! It will be quite the ride. I hear all the time about the expetations and flexibility advice, thanks skjuls. I plan to just deal with stuff as it comes up and adapt accordingly. I signed up today to become a premium member so ill PM you in a couple days.

I want to teach after PC so I think this will be a great learning experience and think my TEFL assignment should suit me well.

It looks like they have real long winters but it doesnt seem too much different than southern new england where I have lived half my life. Better than having it 100 degrees and humid all the time!

Now off to the post office to get some Passport stuff taken care of!

Matt

jammin909 said:
I accepted my invite today! It will be quite the ride. I hear all the time about the expetations and flexibility advice, thanks skjuls. I plan to just deal with stuff as it comes up and adapt accordingly. I signed up today to become a premium member so ill PM you in a couple days.

I want to teach after PC so I think this will be a great learning experience and think my TEFL assignment should suit me well.

It looks like they have real long winters but it doesnt seem too much different than southern new england where I have lived half my life. Better than having it 100 degrees and humid all the time!

Now off to the post office to get some Passport stuff taken care of!

Matt

Again Congrats! Yeah your TEFL assignment should really help you in your teaching after PC.

So you should be getting a booklet soon from PC about Romania and what the volunteers there think you should bring and what not.

When I was in Bulgaria, we had cold winters and humid summers.

This should be a great experience. My first invite was for Far East Russia (farther east than Siberia) but no one went to Far East Russia that year due to Visa problems. Adaptability is the sign of a true Peace Corps volunteer!!!!

Back
Top Bottom