Pant-y-Blawd Road, Morriston, Wales Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Axver's idea of fun:

[10 minutes of near-silence]

[3 minutes of a bunch of wankers trying to play louder than the wanker next to them]

[2 minutes of a wanker wanking on about maggots chewing through his skull]

[16 minutes of wankers trying to wank harder than the wanker next to them]

[3 minutes of near-silence]

PROG ROCK!

This is one of the genres that I can't listen to, but I'll fucking play it for hours. G#m for the win.

Axver - what's your take on the Butthole Surfers? I just saw them tonight and dude, they are fucking amazing live. I'm curious if the prog crowd is into them.

Fried chicken?

I'm sure somebody prior to the 1600s thought to fry up a chook.
Yeah, but the American south refined the recipe we all use today.

And don't forget the biscuits. There are people even in the northern/western parts of the United States that don't know what a good southern biscuit is. They don't exist anywhere else.

And they are not fucking scones! Even Wikipedia can't entirely make the differentiation. Anybody that says a biscuit is like a scone has clearly never had a proper biscuit.

Okay, here's something that definitely didn't originate anywhere else:

Grits - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

PROG ROCK!

This is one of the genres that I can't listen to, but I'll fucking play it for hours. G#m for the win.

Axver - what's your take on the Butthole Surfers? I just saw them tonight and dude, they are fucking amazing live. I'm curious if the prog crowd is into them.

hey Beav :).

Bonnie (the sad punk) likes them I think...her or Alisuara, but I don't know that either of them listen to prog :uhoh:

I spent February-May of 2007 working out my DI3 list. Take your time.

I've got really good solid segments. And I just got every single section of flow down... until I realized there was one bad segue. Fleet Foxes "Blue Ridge Mountains" somehow got coupled with "Make It Wit Chu" by QOTSA. And that doesn't work at all.

No.

Almost none of my playlists are really that ideal. It's hard to make one that sticks with you for any decent length of time.

The one I've been working on has had about 10 different times where I've said, "I'm done! I'm happy!" but then after 5 more listens or so, I think, "I could make it better if I...."

I've got really good solid segments. And I just got every single section of flow down... until I realized there was one bad segue. Fleet Foxes "Blue Ridge Mountains" somehow got coupled with "Make It Wit Chu" by QOTSA. And that doesn't work at all.

Heh. I'm using Blue Ridge Mountains for my DI7 list, which was finished over the summer.

Tell me a few of the tracks around it.

I've honestly never listened to them. The dreadful band name is probably to blame. Utterly shit reason, I know, but I'm going through so much music, and in deciding what to check out now and what to skip for the present, that sort of thing becomes a factor. Though I think Ali or somebody used one of their tracks in the last DI tournament and I don't think I minded it.

Never seen much mention of them in the prog circles I've been a part of. A few serious fans here and there, but that's it.

Do they post here? I used to like them back in the day, but not hardcore, but after finally seeing them live - holy shit - brilliant. Not the best show I've ever seen, but up there.

They both do, but they haven't shown up yet tonight. Let me check which one had a song by them on their DI list...It was alisaura. (for the record, I dug the song)

And they are not fucking scones! Even Wikipedia can't entirely make the differentiation. Anybody that says a biscuit is like a scone has clearly never had a proper biscuit.

I tried them when I was in TN, and yeah, definitely not like a scone. I'd say it's actually more edible plain than a scone, but a scone with jam and cream is SuperWin.

Heh. I'm using Blue Ridge Mountains for my DI7 list, which was finished over the summer.

Tell me a few of the tracks around it.

It's not quite so simple as that.... You see, I've got about 5 solid finished 5-6 song groups. It's the ones that link them that are a bitch. I was perfectly happy with "I Want You Back" by The Jackson Five going right before "Make It Wit Chu" but my fiancee gave the Mr. Yuck face for that transition.

It's not quite so simple as that.... You see, I've got about 5 solid finished 5-6 song groups. It's the ones that link them that are a bitch. I was perfectly happy with "I Want You Back" by The Jackson Five going right before "Make It Wit Chu" but my fiancee gave the Mr. Yuck face for that transition.

:shrug: I don't hear anything wrong with it.

I've honestly never listened to them. The dreadful band name is probably to blame. Utterly shit reason, I know, but I'm going through so much music, and in deciding what to check out now and what to skip for the present, that sort of thing becomes a factor. Though I think Ali or somebody used one of their tracks in the last DI tournament and I don't think I minded it.

Never seen much mention of them in the prog circles I've been a part of. A few serious fans here and there, but that's it.

Yeah, the band name was probably more for reasons of infamy. They started out probably 20-25 years ago in hardcore circles, maybe? They're from Texas, which isn't a hotbed for alt music, so they were probably just being anti-establishment or some shit. But their music is a lot better than people give it credit for, they have an amazing knack for finding the rhythm and just going with it. They're the kind of band I think Jimi Hendrix would have thrived in - I love Jimi, probably the greatest guitar I've ever heard - but he really wasn't much of a songwriter, I don't think. If he had a frontman that would take all the shit, I think what he would have accomplished is unreasonable. The worst thing that ever happened to him was making him "the band". The guitarist in the BHS has a lot of similarities. I had to fucking walk around and ask people if there was really just one guitar - I couldn't believe it. 2 drummers, no idea why, but 1 amazing guitarist, great bassist and one of the most charismatic and intensly genius frontmen of all time. If you're interested in some of their music, let me. I don't know that you'd like it, but I'd be curious as to your take on it.

That was long, sorry.

Yeah, the band name was probably more for reasons of infamy. They started out probably 20-25 years ago in hardcore circles, maybe? They're from Texas, which isn't a hotbed for alt music, so they were probably just being anti-establishment or some shit. But their music is a lot better than people give it credit for, they have an amazing knack for finding the rhythm and just going with it. They're the kind of band I think Jimi Hendrix would have thrived in - I love Jimi, probably the greatest guitar I've ever heard - but he really wasn't much of a songwriter, I don't think. If he had a frontman that would take all the shit, I think what he would have accomplished is unreasonable. The worst thing that ever happened to him was making him "the band". The guitarist in the BHS has a lot of similarities. I had to fucking walk around and ask people if there was really just one guitar - I couldn't believe it. 2 drummers, no idea why, but 1 amazing guitarist, great bassist and one of the most charismatic and intensly genius frontmen of all time. If you're interested in some of their music, let me. I don't know that you'd like it, but I'd be curious as to your take on it.

That was long, sorry.

Well, you've certainly piqued my interest with that. Certainly it's bad of me to overlook them on the basis of band name only and I should rectify that (though I have long since learnt that band names are often an accurate gauge of what is or isn't worthwhile in the metal scene, if nowhere else - it's pretty clear a band called Cannibal Corpse isn't going to be as good as a band called Subterranean Masquerade).

It's an hour earlier here, so, why are YOU up at this hour? Wife kick you out?

BEAR WITNESS TO MY MULTIQUOTE SKILLZ!

No, I just got home from a show in brooklyn. Long Island people and subways is always such a clusterfuck, but I made there and back again. And the butthole surfers kick all kinda of ass. You like them?

That was my question, but you took it.

also:

1) Texas has suddenly become a huge place for indie music at least, which is sort of a kind of alternative

2) the name of the song was Pepper

Texas maybe now, but in 1982, Probably not so much. This is that same state that worshipped Stevie Ray Vaughn. Great guitarist, but I can't listen to him. Another example of the "don't make the guitarist the band" syndrome. See also: Eric Clapton.

Pepper is a good tune, but later for them. It's a weird one, but also kinda mainstream for the BHS.

BEAR WITNESS TO MY MULTIQUOTE SKILLZ!

No, I just got home from a show in brooklyn. Long Island people and subways is always such a clusterfuck, but I made there and back again. And the butthole surfers kick all kinda of ass. You like them?

Texas maybe now, but in 1982, Probably not so much. This is that same state that worshipped Stevie Ray Vaughn. Great guitarist, but I can't listen to him. Another example of the "don't make the guitarist the band" syndrome. See also: Eric Clapton.

Pepper is a good tune, but later for them. It's a weird one, but also kinda mainstream for the BHS.

I'm not overly familiar with their music, so I can't comment. How was the show???

Well, you've certainly piqued my interest with that. Certainly it's bad of me to overlook them on the basis of band name only and I should rectify that (though I have long since learnt that band names are often an accurate gauge of what is or isn't worthwhile in the metal scene, if nowhere else - it's pretty clear a band called Cannibal Corpse isn't going to be as good as a band called Subterranean Masquerade).

Ironically enough, it wouldn't surprise me if we got into them because of the name. They were one of the bands I know "of" before I ever heard their music. And it's weird, but it's deep. I didn't realize how deep until tonight - I thought it was just noise and effects, but there are great songs in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom