Okkervil River thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, as I'm sitting here listening to the Black Sheep Boy Appendix, I find myself thinking that I just might like it more than BSB itself. This may be blasphemy, but there you go.

It's certainly every bit as essential. "No Key No Plan," "BSB #4," "Last Love Song for Now," and "Another Radio Song" are hot jams of the highest order.

Wish the damn thing got a vinyl release.

Yeah, for "No Key No Plan," "Last Love Song for Now," and "Another Radio Song" alone, it's exceptional. And, why hasn't it gotten a vinyl release? Especially with the OKK! Normally they're on top of the whole vinyl thing.

Also, you started a new username? I approve.

But you haven't seen "Westfall," if I remember correctly. So there.

Then maybe it was another song. Or maybe it was Cass McCombs.

Either way, cut me some slack. I'm a n00b.

So, this will come to no surprise to the other two people who regularly read this, but seriously, Will Sheff is by far one of the best lyricists in music right now, if not the best.

We’ll walk and quietly talk
all through the country of your skin,
made up of pieces of the places
that you’ve dreamed
and that you’ve been.

How fucking gorgeous an image is that? I really don't think I'll get over how amazing this band is at what they do; it baffles my mind each and every time I listen to them.

So, this will come to no surprise to the other two people who regularly read this, but seriously, Will Sheff is by far one of the best lyricists in music right now, if not the best.

He's definitely my favorite lyricist of any band presently making music. Some of his songs boggle my mind at how clever, intelligent, effective, symbolic, and fun they are lyrically. Similarly, his use of rhyming inside of the context of songs or sentences sometimes shocks me with how perfect it is.

:up:

He's definitely my favorite lyricist of any band presently making music. Some of his songs boggle my mind at how clever, intelligent, effective, symbolic, and fun they are lyrically. Similarly, his use of rhyming inside of the context of songs or sentences sometimes shocks me with how perfect it is.

:up:

YES! Exactly. And, his use of alliteration is brilliant as well. I've noticed myself using it as a technique more and more often in my writing, something I can't help but attribute to listening to Okkervil River a lot over the past year.

We’ll walk and quietly talk
all through the country of your skin,
made up of pieces of the places
that you’ve dreamed
and that you’ve been.

How fucking gorgeous an image is that? I really don't think I'll get over how amazing this band is at what they do; it baffles my mind each and every time I listen to them.

:bonocrab:

I'm listening to a live set from 2003 at the moment. Coincidence that I also see this thread while it's on? I think not.

Austin City Limits is showing a certain band that a certain friend of ours attended the taping of this Saturday.

I will be on a plane to Australia, so I'll be seeing it later on the DVR.

I'm not too sure about the guitar at the end, but everything else is great. Someone pleez make into mp3.

There are many douchish looking hipsters in the crowd, Imperor....

I'm not going to sit here and pretend I didn't contribute to that, although there weren't any crowd shots of me akin to my left arm's fifteen minutes of fame in the St. Vinny taping.

The sad thing was my friend and I seemed to be the two biggest OR fans there. And we were in the back of the standing area. Still obviously an awesome spot, but we would have been losing our shit up front.

Very nice taping though. I'm glad that "Unless It's Kicks" is documented 4EVAR. But as you can tell by the setlist I posted way back when, my experience was a lot different than how the episode ended up.

By the way, it's funny that I talked about that version of "For Real" in the very first post in this thread so long ago and only now do you guys get to hear it. Awesome. And unlike you, I love the guitar at the end.

I wish it was an hour long episode. They absolutely deserved it and M. Ward is trash.

I'm listening to it on the speaker/speakers in my laptop, so my opinions are probably not super accurate in this case....or ever.

Okay, that was incredibly epic. I liked the guitar at the end of "For Real" a lot; it was slow-going at first, and I was a little lost as to where it was headed, but, then fuck, it ended amazingly. The violins were cool too. I did miss the pure energy of that choppy guitar at the beginning of the song though. "Unless It's Kicks" made my fucking heart race just watching it, I can't imagine how it would've been to be there. I'm mad jealous, Impy.

This just confirmed again what I already knew: I really fucking need to see THE OKK! live. And soon.

In case the three people who read this thread care, I think I might've accidentally stumbled into writing another paper about our beloved OKK!, specifically Black Sheep Boy this time around. Totally hadn't been planning on it at all...I'd been thinking about a completely different project, then this idea came to me last night as I was listening to the album. We'll see. I have to talk to my professor and see how he'd feel about me doing another paper on them, since it's the same guy who I worked with on the other Okkervil paper.

Matador Records | Matablog

The Golden Archipelago is Shearwater’s third album for Matador. It arrives February 23 in North America and February 15 in the rest of the world.

banana.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom