Okkervil River thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like it was amazing, even with the subpar audio. I'm definitely jealous you got to see Charles Bissell playing with them, and of course, that you got to see "John Allyn Smith Sails" and "Westfall," two of my absolute favorite Okkervil songs. :up:

The "Sloop John B" section absolutely tears it up live. And I think I've seen "Westfall" performed. Can't really remember. The very first song I ever saw them play was "Maine Island Lovers." Couldn't ask for anything better, as it might be my favorite of theirs.

I think they've played Westfall all 3 times I've seen them. It and Okkervil River Song are the only things I really even remember from the first time I saw them.

Agreed. One of my favorites (and there aren't many) from The Stand Ins. I still like "Pop Lie" a lot too, though I know that Scumbo's not fond of it.

I still like "Pop Lie" a lot too, though I know that Scumbo's not fond of it.

Wha? That's my favorite song from the album. I had it in my little custom title for months. u r so craziez I think it was Imperor who didn't like it.

Lost Coastlines, Pop Lie, On Tour, and Calling and Not Calling are my favs from it. I would list Starry Stairs in there too, but I had it as a "bonus track" from Stage Names a year before Stand Ins. They didn't even rerecord it or use a different mix, the actual bonus track version is better too because it doesn't have the bells from the previous song at the first, so it was sorta disappointing when I got Stand Ins.

Wha? That's my favorite song from the album. I had it in my little custom title for months. u r so craziez I think it was Imperor who didn't like it.

Lost Coastlines, Pop Lie, On Tour, and Calling and Not Calling are my favs from it. I would list Starry Stairs in there too, but I had it as a "bonus track" from Stage Names a year before Stand Ins. They didn't even rerecord it or use a different mix, the actual bonus track version is better too because it doesn't have the bells from the previous song at the first, so it was sorta disappointing when I got Stand Ins.

Ah, you are correct. I went back and read the chat we had about the Pop Lie single. Impy dislikes it. Apparently.

It just doesn't do anything for me. Deal with it. Weakest song on the album and perhaps my least favorite since "Happy Hearts."

I think they've played Westfall all 3 times I've seen them. It and Okkervil River Song are the only things I really even remember from the first time I saw them.

if the world of warcraft server will ever come back online, my priest and my buddy's pally are going questing in westfall...

i got nothing.

You have a priest? He plays World of Warcraft? There's a place in World of Warcraft called Westfall? Whaa?

heh.

there is a place called westfall, yes.

westfall.jpg

Happy Hearts would probably be good if it wasn't for the "singing".

Yep, that's basically what ruins it for me.

Speaking of THE OKK!, I happen to be spinning The Stage Names at this very moment. It's been awhile since I've put it on, but damn, what a fine album.

What was Will going for there, you think? It's really the only blemish on any album that comes to mind for me, although I'm not nutty about "Song About a Star" (despite it being on their best album).

I spun The Stand-Ins after my Velvet Underground kick this morning, which prompted the "Zykos" comment.

Dunno. I haven't listened to Daniel Johnston's music at all, does he always sound like that? I mean, I do like the song's lyrics quite a bit, but even I can't get past the vocals.

I only have The Stage Names and Don't Fall in Love with Everyone You See (as it so happens) on vinyl. Hopefully that will be changing soon enough. Pretty sure Down the River of Golden Dreams will be my next OKK! related purchase though. That one and The Stage Names duke it out for their top album for me.

That album cover's about all I knew about him as well. And, wow, yeah, I knew the shitty voice on there was his, but I was hoping that wasn't his actual voice. I guess we can blame the song sucking on him then, huh?

Daniel Johnston's "Some Things Last a Long Time" is one of the best songs ever written, and easily the saddest. If you can stand Neil Young's voice, then you can stand his. Not to mention some of the more flamboyantly sung Okkervil River tracks...

Yeah, let's go ahead and blame DJ for all that.

I only have The Stage Names and Don't Fall in Love with Everyone You See (as it so happens) on vinyl. Hopefully that will be changing soon enough. Pretty sure Down the River of Golden Dreams will be my next OKK! related purchase though. That one and The Stage Names duke it out for their top album for me.

They are all insanely cheap. I've got everything but the debut, which Waterloo never seems to have in stock. I'm thinking of heading up there here in a few.

They are all insanely cheap. I've got everything but the debut, which Waterloo never seems to have in stock. I'm thinking of heading up there here in a few.

That's what I've noticed. None of the local stores here have their earlier stuff on vinyl, so I'm just going to order directly from Jagjaguwar. Nice, let us know if you grab anything cool. I've been feeling deprived of record buying, so I definitely need to make a Fetus run this weekend.

Didn't we already do that after I mentioned the place and its tornado woes in another thread?

Probably. There's a Lance's Mom joke for everything. Much like a timely Arrested Development reference can be made for just about any situation.

True. I believe the Lance's Mom stuff was in the Flaming Lips thread and involved a picture of a fetus appearing to blow something up. Take that however you'd like.

Wow, I couldn't get past the first 20 seconds of him "singing" in that video. No thanks.

Also, I must mention that Song About A Star is one of my favs on Golden Shower Dreams. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom