Ohai, New Zealand Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
While I'm no fan of either subject for a pop song, at least writing a song about the Troubles was relevant to the time. Writing a song about the Crusades is only going to make real time strategists happy. And if it's relating to the current war, it's just even more pretentious than it already was.

Pretentious, pretentious, pretentious! So overused, but completely justified in it's overuse these days.

Oh, I completely agree. It's so fucking cliche to go on about the Crusades too. I don't get the fascination. In first year History, I did Europe 1200-1800. One essay, we had 12 topics to choose from. About half of the 400 or so students did the one on the Crusades. I think I was the only person who wrote on John Calvin. WTF, people.

That fucker.... And he had like 3 Beatles songs, didn't he?

Off memory, I think he just has a Beatles track in DI V, no solo ones. It's Here Comes The Sun anyway, the one Beatles song I can tolerate (along with Tomorrow Never Knows).

Oh, I completely agree. It's so fucking cliche to go on about the Crusades too. I don't get the fascination. In first year History, I did Europe 1200-1800. One essay, we had 12 topics to choose from. About half of the 400 or so students did the one on the Crusades. I think I was the only person who wrote on John Calvin. WTF, people.

Wow, that's ridiculous. Did they even know of any other occurrences within that time frame?! There's so much interesting stuff there - it's jam packed. And the Crusades didn't amount to anything, anyway.

Wow, that's ridiculous. Did they even know of any other occurrences within that time frame?! There's so much interesting stuff there - it's jam packed. And the Crusades didn't amount to anything, anyway.

Seriously, that's just stupid. I used to think all that stuff about theCrusades were cool and stuff...you know back when I was 11 and Indiana Jones was my hero.

OK, who's taking the new thread, Tumbleweed Restaurant, Chillicothe, Ohio?

Here's Daniel's linkage from earlier.

There's also that great picture of a man fallen on a tumbleweed that should be in the first post, but I can't recall where it is ...

Oooh I have a pic like that....I'll go find it.

5f95185c.jpg

Hey, Gluey!

I had a long talk with some Brit at a bar tonight about the Crimean War - we bored everyone else stiff. so that was our overrated moment in history.

It was moronic. The lecture on the Crusades easily had the largest attendance too. You'd probably be heartbroken to know that my tutor's guest lecture on Renaissance art history was very poorly attended. It was so much more interesting too. I fucking fell asleep in the Crusades lecture!

Hey, Gluey!

I had a long talk with some Brit at a bar tonight about the Crimean War - we bored everyone else stiff. so that was our overrated moment in history.

Note to singletons....war talk at a bar is NOT the way to pick up people :lol:

Did you drive them all to drink Zooey??? Hawhawhaw....

Eh, all the hype about ancient Egypt pisses me off too. Not sure which I find more over-rated.

Ooh, I think Egypt is even more overrated, because every enormous Dorling Kingsley or whatever book about the History of the Ancient World or even the History of All Things in the World Ever will have King Tut's goddamn sarcophagus on it. All those guys did was drink beer and invent furries.

Romans get too much credit, too. The Greeks are often overhyped too, but some of their real genius is overlooked so often in place of the Romans. But mainly I think there should be more respect for pre-Islamic Mesopotamian and Persian civilisations, the former the true inventers of Western civilisation.

Note to singletons....war talk at a bar is NOT the way to pick up people :lol:

Did you drive them all to drink Zooey??? Hawhawhaw....

The Brit was doing most of the talking - I just listened for the accent - then my friend stuck her tongue down his throat - good times. :applaud:

So apparently War History IS the way to pick up chicks.

Seeing I gave you....
90960e40.jpg
...you can give us the next thread :yes: :tongue:

Quoted for awesomeness! :drool:

Though if you keep posting that, I may just sit here staring at it and never make the thread. :wink:

(Nah, work on it's underway now.)

Ooh, I think Egypt is even more overrated, because every enormous Dorling Kingsley or whatever book about the History of the Ancient World or even the History of All Things in the World Ever will have King Tut's goddamn sarcophagus on it. All those guys did was drink beer and invent furries.

Romans get too much credit, too. The Greeks are often overhyped too, but some of their real genius is overlooked so often in place of the Romans. But mainly I think there should be more respect for pre-Islamic Mesopotamian and Persian civilisations, the former the true inventers of Western civilisation.

I had a semester class on Ancient Europe (The Beginning til pretty much when the Byzantine Empire begins, Rome sorta falls a part, and Germany/Britain/etc. Come on the scene) I swear, the class was broken up into three parts:

1: The beginning
2: Greece
3: Rome

EVERYTHING from the beginning of time, until Greece came on the scene was crammed into the first section of class :banghead:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom