Official Cricket Thread Part 104 off 31

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bit of a fizzer in the end there. Not sure New Zealand gave Scotland sufficient respect - every time somebody decided it was time to end proceedings, instead of hitting sixes they hit straight to a fielder. Before coughing up those easy late wickets, we were just puttering along, like the lunch break halfway through the innings broke the momentum. Scotland will probably be pleased with their effort with the ball.

I wonder if we took today easy to keep plenty in the tank against England, or if this was a resurfacing of our tradition of playing on the level of our opponents rather than maintaining a high quality of play. At any rate, I don't doubt that Australia will be far more ruthless when they meet Scotland.

Still, a win is a win.

NZ were poor today
Will be close v England - Eng cant be as bad as they were v Aus

Hope Zimbabwe win cup if NZ or Eng dont.

Afghanistan may not be likely to win tonight but they are putting in a good effort. Look forward to their clash with Scotland, though I imagine both the pitch and atmosphere in Dunedin will favour the Scots.

Positive signs for Bangladesh - fast bowling, their historical shortcoming, was very good on the night. Taskin Ahmed looks quality

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Based on what we have seen so far, I'm willing to have a crack at predicting the top four from each pool, and consequently, have a crack at predicting the finals from there.

Pool A
Australia
New Zealand
Bangladesh
Sri Lanka

Pool B
South Africa
India
Ireland
Pakistan

Two big things for me - Pool B is the weaker pool, however Ireland's big game performances and general improvement in all areas could easily see them beating Pakistan at a world cup (again) and jumping them on the table. India come second simply due to lack of competition.

In Pool A, I think Sri Lanka lose out to Bangladesh because of poor form running in, and lack of consistent quality across the park. Sanga and Mahela have to do all the work. Bangladesh look a fresh side, with some very talented young players like Taskin and Mominul (who batted 9 for christ knows what reason - he averages 63 with the bat in 12 Tests).

Notable absences from the top 8 ranked sides - West Indies (obvisouly), England.

Quarters:

Australia vs Pakistan
New Zealand vs Ireland
Bangladesh vs India
Sri Lanka vs South Africa

I think Bangladesh can beat India. I honestly do. Other games will go to script.

Semis:

Australia vs Bangladesh
New Zealand vs South Africa

Final

Australia to narrowly beat New Zealand.

This is honestly the closest, most even, and most exciting world cup in my lifetime. I am absolutely loving this.

You don't think Zimbabwe will get ahead of Pakistan? I really, really want Ireland and Zimbabwe to be two of Pool B's quarter finalists.

I don't agree about the tournament being so even. Australia and South Africa and possibly New Zealand are clearly ahead of the rest. Sure, we've got lesser Test countries and Associates being competitive, so in that sense the Cup is more even and the possibility of upsets is higher, but in terms of who could actually win the Cup it's very narrow. I feel like we're at a real low point in global cricket, in that this Australian team is much weaker than the great teams of 10-15 years ago yet it's still better than most other countries. Who at the moment is better than they've ever been? New Zealand. That's about it. England have no drive, India can't travel, Pakistan remain mercurial but can't reach the greatest heights, Sri Lanka have poorly handled the transition from experience to youth, and the Windies are a basketcase. South Africa could become better than they've ever been if they prove they're no chokers (even though I've said that tag is overstated), but we won't know about that for over a month yet.

Honestly, of course the top three are miles ahead - I suppose by 'even' competition I mean that in games invovling all the rest it is hard to automatically jump on a certain winner. I can't see Zimbabwe topping Pakistan. I think they will scrape into 4th.

Re Bangladesh v India - don't discount it. Sure it is an unlikely upset, but this Bangladesh team has a lot to prove. It's the best crop of players they have ever had, and they have beaten more fancied teams before.

How did Afghanistan go yesterday? Or is it just that Bangladesh may be better than imagined?

Today's game will be telling for Zimbabwe. UAE have set them a good target, 286. If Zimbabwe chase it down easily, that will worry the likes of Pakistan and the Windies, but if it's a struggle or if there's an upset and UAE win, that will put Zimbabwe under the pump.

I only saw a bit of the Bangladesh/Afghanistan game, but Afghanistan were hobbled by Bangladesh racing through their top order. Without a platform to build on, the middle order just couldn't get close enough and some of the tailenders really struggled, seemingly rather intimidated by pace bowling.

Zimbabwe just lost a wicket when Chakabva lost his footing and slipped back onto his stumps! I feel bad for him, buuut... :lol:

Inzamam-esque?

I think I still remember that time when Steve Waugh got out hit wicket.

Im going for

NZ
Aus
Bangladesh
England

&

South Africa
India
Pakistan
Windies

As crap as India are they can still turn it on on the day - so they will be ok till Quarters

NZ have a real test tomorrow. England bowling is better than Sri Lanka and Pakistan who they faced recently. Will be close. Shame i couldn't get the day off work as i can see the bloody stadium from the end of the road!

Why why WHY do the Black Caps keep picking Milne ahead of McClenaghan?!

I'm very disappointed McClenaghan's been left out of today's game. We could use his strike rate.

What a delivery by Southee to dismiss Bell!

Boult and Southee definitely getting some swing early.

To think that half an hour ago I was thinking of making a post about how I'd have picked McClenaghan and Mills ahead of Milne and Southee. :lol:

What was going through your head that you'd consider Southee to be at all replaceable? ;)

He's always a consistent performer.

What was going through your head that you'd consider Southee to be at all replaceable? ;)

He's always a consistent performer.

Yes but he's better in Tests than ODIs. Certainly he's a great bowler though, the Southee/Boult duo is incredible, and Milne is the only member of today's bowling attack that I consider to be particularly replaceable.

Finally Boult gets a reward for great bowling. England limping at the moment.

Stoked Boult is in the wickets. What an awful shot by Ballance! :lol:

I love McCullum's aggresstive fields. He's putting the clamps on England.

Back
Top Bottom