Official Cricket 12/13 Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bad move NZ not enforcing the follow-on - England are a dig-in side who can chase down 350. Enforcing the follow-on ensures that at the very least, NZ won't lose.

Glen Maxwell opening the batting? WTF? Even if he scores 100, Watson should be hung for that decision. He has himself and Hughes that can score quickly and be 'positive' if that is what you want. Opening with Maxwell isn't 'positive', it shows you intend to play this like a T20. Just put 8 guys back and wait for him to hit a catch

My theory is Watson is actively undermining Cowan's place in the team. He knows he is close to being dropped, and he had made no secret of his desire to open the batting again. He doesn't expect Maxwell to succeed, he just doesn't want Cowan to. Maxwell has done nothing different to what Cowan would have, he has been very defensive... what is the point?

And he's out playing defensively!! What the fuck purpose did that serve? So why is Cowan batting 3??? If he wasn't agressive enough? Essentially they have wasted a wicket for no reason.

Hughes given his 2nd disgusting LBW decision of the series by Aleem Dar. Seriously, if it pitches on leg, and hits him on the outside half of off on the crease, still with 1.5m to travel, it couldn't be hitting the 5th stump, let alone the ones that are actually there.

Did you see Lyon's LB shout against Tendulkar yesterday when he was on 1? Literally couldn't have been more plumb for an off-spinner and it wasn't given. I hate the BCCI.

Did you see Lyon's LB shout against Tendulkar yesterday when he was on 1? Literally couldn't have been more plumb for an off-spinner and it wasn't given. I hate the BCCI.

Yep! Commentators all said today that it was out (Hughes). Funny the Indian text commentator on cricinfo didn't agree... Then again, he isn'y paid by the BCCI. Serious;y, DRS will never take off if umpires keep giving India bad decisions in their favour. Let's hope Watson fails epically here.

From the Cricbuzz app, which is commentated by Indians with a heavy bias. Can't believe Cricinfo doesn't have an app.

13.4 Ashwin to Hughes, out Lbw!! Ashwin gets his man. The stumping chance missed has not been costly. This was nicely tossed up on the leg and turning away. It kept low, beat the outside edge and hit Hughes on the back leg in front of middle and off. That's the fifth time Ashwin has dismissed Hughes in this series. Hughes lbw b Ashwin 6 (23)

I haven't seen the dismissal so I can't comment.

From the Cricbuzz app, which is commentated by Indians

13.4 Ashwin to Hughes, out Lbw!! Ashwin gets his man. The stumping chance missed has not been costly. This was nicely tossed up on the leg and turning away. It kept low, beat the outside edge and hit Hughes on the back leg in front of middle and off. That's the fifth time Ashwin has dismissed Hughes in this series. Hughes lbw b Ashwin 6 (23)

I haven't seen the dismissal so I can't comment.

Watch it when you get the chance. Hit outside half of off stump.

From cricinfo:

Ashwin to Hughes, OUT, lbw! But was that hitting the stumps? Ashwin drifted the ball into the left-hander from round the wicket, pitching on leg stump and ripping the offbreak sharply. Hughes came forward to defend and was beaten by the turn. The ball hit his back pad in front of off stump but I think the turn would have taken it past off stump. The umpire did not think so

Jesus christ. This is going to be over today. Hope Cowan carries his bat and sticks it up the cunts.

Haha, no shit.

And ugh, terrible move by New Zealand not to enforce the follow-on. Baffling. You know what happens from here? We'll get skittled within two sessions tomorrow and then England will give a batting masterclass. It's just par for the course for New Zealand.

Australia batting averages
Smith 48.66
Clarke 47.66
Starc 36.25
Cowan 33.12
Henriques 31.20
Haddin 25.50
Warner 24.37
Doherty 24.00
Pattinson 19.00
Wade 19.00
Hughes 18.37
Watson 16.50
Lyon 16.33
Siddle 12.71
Maxwell 9.75
Johnson 3.00

I love seeing Aussie stats that look like New Zealand stats. :up:

Do you read much of Richard Hinds in Sydney Dan? He's a very good writer and also really funny. If you've got twitter you should follow him. He started the #realopeners hashtag in support of Cowan and other openers who score slowly. Great reading.

I watched a fair bit of the NZ test today and gee I wish channel 9 would employ David Lloyd and Bob Willis for the Ashes. Entertaining and insightful.

Do you read much of Richard Hinds in Sydney Dan? He's a very good writer and also really funny. If you've got twitter you should follow him. He started the #realopeners hashtag in support of Cowan and other openers who score slowly. Great reading.

I watched a fair bit of the NZ test today and gee I wish channel 9 would employ David Lloyd and Bob Willis for the Ashes. Entertaining and insightful.

Agree on all fronts. Richard Hinds is good - a quality lacking in most cricket writers since the death of Peter Roebuck. I miss his insights.

Australia have missed Haddin's influence in this match - both as a captain/leader, but also as a good player of spin bowling. Sub him in for Maxwell (or Wade - let's be honest), and Australia have a much more balanced looking side, and would be in a significantly better position.

How good is Wade. Defending a small total, missed stumping off first ball, lets through 9 byes, kicks a ball away for 2 when nothing was happening, and now just dropped Dhoni when we had just taken 3/5 and were turning the momentum. Great call on him being our No. 1 keeper. I have him at 5 behind Haddin, Paine, Nevill and Hartley.

In all honesty - Australia have to move away from Watson, and that isn't just because of my general dislike of the guy.

He is 31, same age as Clarke. The VC has to be someone capable of being the next permanent captain. I don't think even the most ardent Watson fan could argue that a) he will outlast Clarke in the team, or b) he would do so and still be at the peak of his game, capable of taking the side forward for 3+ years.

Chappelli is right to a certain extent, but the selectors have to choose NOW who the next captain is going to be, at least with 90% certainty and pick them as the VC. Either that, or go the other way, pick the next most senior, stable player capable of filling in, and then move to option 1 in a years time. Wade isn't secure enough. Warner has his major drawback. Hughes has no real leadership chops, and form could turn south very quickly (people call for his head faster than anyone else though, it seems). Cowan is too old as well. this leaves bowlers, Smith, or an unpicked at this stage bat.

For my money, the way forward is you identify the top 3 candidates, and pick them in the team, regardless of form. They are Hughes, Smith and Warner. Haddin gets the nod as VC, and Wade is told to improve, or else will be passed over for Paine etc when Haddin retires. When Haddin goes, those 3, plus the keeping alternative are given the next year or two to establish themselves as the front-runner.

This is awesome to watch, but I'm not sure why NZ are still batting. They should have declared at 150. They're going to need as many overs as possible. That England top order is very capable of saving the match. Looks like one more over.

The Shield final is on Fox Sports. Cosgrove is a disgrace, physically.

This is awesome to watch, but I'm not sure why NZ are still batting. They should have declared at 150. They're going to need as many overs as possible. That England top order is very capable of saving the match. Looks like one more over.

The Shield final is on Fox Sports. Cosgrove is a disgrace, physically.

Yeah, I think they kept going because of the first test - England scored 6/421, and this is a smaller ground and a better pitch.

Holy shit, Tas 4/9 in 2nd dig

The Shield final is currently on and you wouldn't know it... Abysmally minimal coverage so far

Problem is that there were 2 teams in form leading into the finals, Vic and NSW, and they both missed out because of the ridiculously congested table. No-one cares about either team that made it.

Fucking come on New Zealand, justify raising my hopes for once!

As for the Australian captaincy, I can't believe people are seriously talking about Warner or Smith as future captains. Now my hatred for Smith is well-established, so write me off there if you will, but the guy's only on the fringe of selection, and as for Warner - I genuinely like the guy, but listen to him talk! There's not much going on upstairs. Hardly switched-on, ruthless captaincy material. Maybe he could captain in T20 since he can so brutally lead by example, but not Tests.

This said, I've no idea who's a realistic alternative to Clarke. Barely anybody's cementing their place in the team right now.

Back
Top Bottom