Official Cricket 12/13 Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Frankly I think he's the worst cricketer I've ever seen play for Australia. I may hate Watson but at least he can bat.

Frankly ax, you are wrong. Unless you had your eyes closed when Bryce mcgain, Marcus north, Cameron white, Xavier Doherty, Peter George, Clint McKay etc played test cricket.

Peter George :lol: what a fuckin spud he was. He did get Tendulkar out though.

McGain was the leading wicket taker in Vic district cricket this season. In fact there were four leggies in the top 10.

Frankly ax, you are wrong. Unless you had your eyes closed when Bryce mcgain, Marcus north, Cameron white, Xavier Doherty, Peter George, Clint McKay etc played test cricket.

No way is Smith better than Doherty, North, White, or McKay.

Don't remember McGain or George.

Peter George :lol: what a fuckin spud he was. He did get Tendulkar out though.

McGain was the leading wicket taker in Vic district cricket this season. In fact there were four leggies in the top 10.

And then they play first class and get pumped. Same with NSW spinners like zampa and doran. Anywhere but India the combo of Clarke, smith and Warner will be enough allowing us to play 4 quicks, as we have bucketloads of good ones

Smith's records in all formats are garbage.

Look, if one day he blossoms into even an average cricketer, I'll readily give him his due, but at the moment he's being given chance after chance ahead of far more obviously talented players. Australia doesn't need a guy who can dabble in this and that without being exceptional at any one thing. Australia needs dedicated batsmen who can settle in for the long haul and bowlers - especially spinners - who are world class. Wasting time on Smith is just delaying the team's rebuilding.

Name a batsman who is better at 5 for aus at the moment. He averages over 50 with the bat over the last 3 years in FC cricket. And he is the best fielder in the world, let alone australia. He's also on 75 right now and digging Australia out of a large hole

And when you say 'chance after chance' this is one of the only times he's batted above 7 or 8 or aus. Usually he is in with 5 overs left in short form cricket which is no read on his quality

There are far better tail batsmen for batting at the death and Smith's record reflects that he never sets the world alight when he does come in late. Pains me to say but even Watson would be better at fifth. His performance in the Test right now feels like an anomaly - but hey, like I say, if it's the start of a worthwhile career I'll eat my words.

And claiming he's the best fielder in the world is either a massive exaggeration or a damning indictment of the current state of fielding.

There are far better tail batsmen for batting at the death and Smith's record reflects that he never sets the world alight when he does come in late. Pains me to say but even Watson would be better at fifth. His performance in the Test right now feels like an anomaly - but hey, like I say, if it's the start of a worthwhile career I'll eat my words.

And claiming he's the best fielder in the world is either a massive exaggeration or a damning indictment of the current state of fielding.

I agree, that was my point - he isn't suited to batting t the death. He needs to be up the order. Also, you called him an average fielder earlier, so you obviously haven't seen him in the field. Hardly fair to damn the rest if the cricketing world on a misjudgment?

I just don't see how he's as great a fielder as you say he is.

Obviously you know shit-tonnes more about cricket than I do, but every time I watch him play in any capacity it's just excruciating and his selection remains a source of mystery to me.

I just don't see how he's as great a fielder as you say he is.

This aspect isn't up for debate, and cobbler agrees. He has lightning hands. You need to watch him more. Any opinion that he isn't an incredible fielder indicates to me that you just dot like the guy, rather than having formed an opinion based on performance

I don't recall Smith ever single-handedly winning a game for anyone with his fielding like the true greats have.

If Watson is captaining, the game is not happening in my universe.

I'm very confused about New Zealand having a bowler with the last name Martin whose first name is Bruce rather than Chris, bowls spin, and can hold his bat long enough to reach double figures.

Watson is looking like he will be the beneficiary of Nathan Lyon remembering how to play cricket. I think Australia losing this test is better for Australian cricket than Watson's ego being vindicated.

I have no idea where this Lyon was all series.

Seriously though it's a joke Watson remains in the side.

Southee is bowling like an absolute champ here. Are Chris Martin and Vettori injured?

Oh man, Southee bowled so well, he finally got an edge from Matt Prior, only for Brownlie to put it down at second slip. Heartbreaking. Prior was 24 at the time, he's now 47, this partnership worth 63. Root couldn't be more boring but Prior is looking good.

NZ bowl England out for 204!! Fucking brilliant. 6fa for Trent Boult and 3 for Southee. My god I hope they can win.

They've already lost a wicket though and very nearly just lost another run out.

I am absolutely confident something will go wrong and we'll blow this, or the weather will turn and piss down like it has for the previous Tests.

I believe Vettori is still recovering from some injury. No idea where Chris Martin's got to. Perhaps he finally got called up to Coldplay.

NZ 3/16 now. Really don't think it was a good decision to not enforce the follow-on. Seems pretty weak and an admittance of lack of belief in themselves given how far they were ahead. Still enough in the pitch for the bowlers and now they're 3/16.

Back
Top Bottom