Official Cricket 11/12 Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, but the Hun's main target demographic is generally just as immature as Watson himself is.

Well called! Pakistan falls for 231.

India vs Sri Lanka final. Should be great. I'm picking Sri Lanka, in no small part due to India facing the historic disadvantage of playing a final at home. The other part, of course, is that almost impregnable Sri Lankan top order. If they bat second, I can't see them losing no matter what the target is.

India will win the final.

SL middle order is very fragile. If NZ had had the 2nd wicket at 120 instead of 160, NZ would have won the semis.

Indian top order is better than SL - for sure. In bowling - SL has slight edge but Indians play spin better than England and NZ.

I am sure 280 ( 290+ for sure) can't be chased by SL. Both NZ and England made the mistake of going for 220-230 which is just NOT enough. Pakistan defended 277 against them. ( a loss margin of 11 runs gives the impression that SL had a chance but in reality they didn't have a chance - 100 odd in 10 overs with 5 wickets in hand and Pakistan allowed them to make 89 in 10 overs).

Well Tharanga and Dilshan have two 200+ stands so far in the tournament, and then you've got Sangakkara, Jayawardena, Matthews and Samaraweera, so 280+ "can't be chased" is bogus.

And I'm quite sure both NZ and England didn't "go for" 220-230. They were restricted to that total.

Frankly, if Daniel Vettori finds Tharanga/Dilshan an almost impossible nut to crack, I don't see any of the Indian bowlers doing any better.

Yoiu know what would be the ideal final? Sehwag and Tendulkar fucking open up and put a huge total on the board, then Tharanga and Dilshan chase it down. That would be amazing.

Yoiu know what would be the ideal final? Sehwag and Tendulkar fucking open up and put a huge total on the board, then Tharanga and Dilshan chase it down. That would be amazing.

Tharanga and Dilshan arent kind of players Eng, NZ , Zimb and Kenya have made them look like.

Real danger is Sangakara and Jayawardhane. Once 3 wickets down, SL are very fragile ( as you saw against NZ).

Vettori would have defended 270 very easily. His batsmen let him down.

Par for the course for New Zealand. I can't remember a time in my entire life that New Zealand's had batsmen who could bat consistently well. Fleming had days when he was just too fucking slow to be of any use, Chris Cairns is a goddamn legend but had some shocker days (though not quite in the same class as Ross Taylor's oscillation between briliance and utter shit), I'm too young to remember Martin Crowe with any clarity, etc.

God, the story of Kiwi cricket is that of a bunch of decent but unspectacular batsmen who occasionally bat out of their skins, and talented but unreliable batsmen who'll hit a century in fifty balls then spend the rest of the season cultivating an average below 30.

Once 3 wickets down, SL are very fragile ( as you saw against NZ).

I'd say the opposite: the untested Sri Lankan middle order did a damn good job of weathering some of the most intense bowling/fielding pressure of the tournament. South Africa, India, England have all thrown away a million wickets under less pressure. Sri Lankans kept their cool and got through.

I think it's pretty fucking pathetic that Channel Nine isn't broadcasting the GRAND FINAL in full, just the second half, since Australia isn't in it. I just don't understand people who claim to be a fan of a sport, but then don't watch its biggest international tournament as soon as their team is knocked out. I may be a supporter of New Zealand, but first and foremost I am a CRICKET FAN. An entertaining game is an entertaining game regardless of who's in it, and nothing comes bigger - and hopefully more exciting* - than the World Cup final.

*Shame about 2007 though.

If New Zealand had made the final, rest assured I would have cancelled all plans for tonight, brought the appropriate snacks and drinks, and settled in for a wonderful night at home with whoever wanted to come around and watch cricket and get drunk with me.

So, Sri Lanka bat first, and Tharanga bows out very early. But Dilshan/Sangakarra could do almost anything.

Wow, looks like a fantastic game. India achieve the highest successful run chase in a World Cup final in response to Jayawardene et al. piling on the runs. Wish I could've stayed up to watch it but the time difference was just murderous in the end.

So Tendulkar gets his much deserved World Cup after all. Murali at least was part of the successful 1996 Sri Lankan team, if not this time. Cricket's going to be just a bit strange without these two (though Sachin isn't quite gone yet).

Well done India.

Nice that arguably the most cricket mad nation on earth has got something to celebrate.

Now let's get back to proper test cricket :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom