Oasis popularity in America

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't know what to think about the new one as I've only heard a couple of tracks. It is odd though that they've been getting reasonably good reviews in the press but the vast majority of individuals that heard it give it really bad reviews. Looks like they've cranked up the "hype-machine" for the new one!

The new album it's good, but you need to listen to it a lot of times, but it's far from their first releases.

Oasis' Albums for me

1. Morning Glory (Pure Magic!!)
2. Definitely Maybe
3. Standing on the Shoulders of giants
4. Be Here Now
6. Heathen Chemistry
7. Don't Believe the truth

but, anyway, it's far better that a lot of new releases....

Last edited:
Oasis SUCK!!! O.K. maybe that's a bit harsh.
Nowhere close to U2...Never will be.
And the comparison to the Beatles - ya right.
They do have a few "catchy songs" but that's about it.
History will never regard them on the same level as U2, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Who, Pink Floyd etc. etc.
THEY ARE NOT AND NEVER WILL BE A TRUE "SUPERGROUP"!!!!!
Oh, and by the way - neither will Coldplay even though Chris Martin wants it so desperately.

Last edited:
Harry Vest said:
History will never regard them on the same level as U2, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Who, Pink Floyd etc. etc.
Oh, and by the way - neither will Coldplay even though Chris Martin wants it so desperately.

I was gonna post the same thing.Damn you for being faster than me

Same for me.
They will be very lucky if they ever (either Oasis or Coldplay) get into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (US version I mean).

roy keane said:

I was gonna post the same thing.Damn you for being faster than me

The new album is excellent...but it doesn't solely rely on anthems like their past work, so it needs a few listens: definitely a grower, IMO. As for "regurgitated" I hardly think songs like Mucky Fingers, Importance Of Being Idle, Part Of The Queue, Meaning of Soul, Guess God Thinks I'm Abel are like their old stuff.

Harry Vest said:

What is it with your psychotic hatred of Oasis..

Sleep Over Jack said:

What is it with your psychotic hatred of Oasis..

He's a fan of Blur...:wink:

Oasis is a great band, just listen to their B-sides (the band with the greatest b-sides ever, for me anyway..)

Acrobat_Al said:

He's a fan of Blur...:wink:

Oasis is a great band, just listen to their B-sides (the band with the greatest b-sides ever, for me anyway..)

I don't agree. I think the band with the greatest B-Sides are The Stone Roses. But this is subjective lol

fedeu2 said:
The band with the best B-sides is U2, no question about that.

If we talk about 80/90, it's clear that the band with the best B-sides is U2...there's no doubt: walk to the water, luminous times, spanish eyes, sweetest thing, deep in the heart, love comes tumbling, a room at the heartbreack hotel...who other?
(maybe just the Boss has written a lot of songs not for lp, see "tracks"...).
But if we talk about post 1990, then u2 fade away, unfortunately...I can't remember a lot of songs worth to be mentioned: maybe two shots of happy; yes, there are some good covers (I like fortunate son, paint it black, satellite of love and night and day from red, hot & blue), but there's no race (IMO) against Oasis'masterplan.

fedeu2 said:
The band with the best B-sides is U2, no question about that.

Do you know what means subjectivity??? No question about that? who are you?? God?

Please try to separate objectivity from subjectivity.

What you said above was highly subjective, so was my affirmation. So please don't come here with "no question about that" sentences as if you were mister wise man.

Ok, let me see:

Alex descends into hell for a bottle of milk (Korova)
Salome
Lady with the spinning head
North and south of the river
Your blue room
Holy Joe (garage mix)
Two shots of happy, one shot of sad
Summer rain

Save for Summer rain and possibly Holy Joe, all the others blow away any Oasis b-side.

And I´m not including HMTMKMKM `cos it was not released as a proper b-side. Same for Original soundtracks vol. 1 and Million Dollar Hotel where songs like Miss Sarajevo, Slug, Always forever, Never let me go, Falling at your feet and Stateless would have made great b-sides.

And speaking of covers, Happiness is a warm gun (b-side to Last night on earth single) might be the best one U2 has ever made.

Oh, and to Squire, it is OBVIOUS that everything I write is my opinion only. Last time I checked this was a U2 forum so if you don´t like somebody stating U2 is the BIGGEST BADDEST BAND IN THE WORLD or things like that, that´s your problem, not mine.

VALE69 said:

If we talk about 80/90, it's clear that the band with the best B-sides is U2...there's no doubt: walk to the water, luminous times, spanish eyes, sweetest thing, deep in the heart, love comes tumbling, a room at the heartbreack hotel...who other?
(maybe just the Boss has written a lot of songs not for lp, see "tracks"...).
But if we talk about post 1990, then u2 fade away, unfortunately...I can't remember a lot of songs worth to be mentioned: maybe two shots of happy; yes, there are some good covers (I like fortunate son, paint it black, satellite of love and night and day from red, hot & blue), but there's no race (IMO) against Oasis'masterplan.

fedeu2 said:
Ok, let me see:

Salome
Your blue room
Holy Joe (garage mix)
Summer rain

Yes, abou Your Blue Room (one of my favourite U2'songs) and Slug you're right...actually I didn't remember the Passengers album; I've already mentioned Two Shots Of Happy...but the others song you've posted, in my opinion of course, are not on the same level of the other songs included in the 90's and 2000's albums. The 80's B-sides I mentioned before were worth (for me) to be included in The Joshua Tree, R&H, TUF

I'd just like to say congrats to Oasis for being # 1 at Mediatraffic (world-wide album chart) this week - 467,000 sold in 1st week for DBTT + 95K in Japan last week = 562,000 copies sold in 1st week.

Well done to ybird3K for correctly predicting they'd sell 'no more than 700K' - you were right I was wrong :mad:

Now, let's hope U2 can get to 8M+ sales at Mediatraffic for Bomb.

fedeu2 said:
Ok, let me see:

Salome
Your blue room
Holy Joe (garage mix)
Summer rain

Save for Summer rain and possibly Holy Joe, all the others blow away any Oasis b-side.

And I´m not including HMTMKMKM `cos it was not released as a proper b-side. Same for Original soundtracks vol. 1 and Million Dollar Hotel where songs like Miss Sarajevo, Slug, Always forever, Never let me go, Falling at your feet and Stateless would have made great b-sides.

And speaking of covers, Happiness is a warm gun (b-side to Last night on earth single) might be the best one U2 has ever made.

Oh, and to Squire, it is OBVIOUS that everything I write is my opinion only. Last time I checked this was a U2 forum so if you don´t like somebody stating U2 is the BIGGEST BADDEST BAND IN THE WORLD or things like that, that´s your problem, not mine.

It's obvious you don't have a clue what means subjectivity.

I think you should know that discussing who is better than who is utopic. But it seems you don't know.

First you say that you are giving your opinion, but then you say something like "no question about that", "definately"...

So are you trying to make your position better than the other ones? Because by that it seems you are really the mister wise man.

U2 is the biggest band in the world today. Now is it the best band?? Highly subjective.

Now do you understand this or should i make you a schematic?

Squire said:

It's obvious you don't have a clue what means subjectivity.

Believe me, I know what subjectivity means.

Squire said:

I think you should know that discussing who is better than who is utopic. But it seems you don't know.

No, it is NOT. By your rationale, saying that the Spice Girls were one of the best band ever is equally valid than saying The Beatles were the best and greatest band ever!!
That would be the same as saying a Big Mac has the same quality than French food!
You know, there´s something called critical (and sustained) acclaim, something U2 has earned along the last 25 years. Can´t say the same about Oasis even though it´s only 11 years since they first released an album.

Squire said:
U2 is the biggest band in the world today. Now is it the best band?? Highly subjective.
[/B]

Stating that Oasis is at the same level of greatness and artistic quality than U2 is ludicrous. Not even in their heyday.
Then again, this is my opinion as usual.
Eitherway, I won´t waste more time discussing with you about this ´cos this is the wrong forum and we´re wasting everyone else´s time.

Squire said:
Now do you understand this or should i make you a schematic?
[/B]

Er, do you mean a scheme, right? No, thanks, I don´t need any.
And who´s the "Mister wise man" now? :):)

I don't think Oasis are under-appreciated in the US. I think they've done pretty well, considering that their music is, well, not entirely original. Great rock anthems but they're not exactly earth-shattering.

Bands like The Stone Roses and the Manic Street Preachers - yes.

fedeu2 said:

Believe me, I know what subjectivity means.

No, it is NOT. By your rationale, saying that the Spice Girls were one of the best band ever is equally valid than saying The Beatles were the best and greatest band ever!!
That would be the same as saying a Big Mac has the same quality than French food!
You know, there´s something called critical (and sustained) acclaim, something U2 has earned along the last 25 years. Can´t say the same about Oasis even though it´s only 11 years since they first released an album.

Stating that Oasis is at the same level of greatness and artistic quality than U2 is ludicrous. Not even in their heyday.
Then again, this is my opinion as usual.
Eitherway, I won´t waste more time discussing with you about this ´cos this is the wrong forum and we´re wasting everyone else´s time.

Er, do you mean a scheme, right? No, thanks, I don´t need any.
And who´s the "Mister wise man" now? :):)

Ok, ok.

This is a very difficult theme to discuss and we could be hours discussing this.

Although, don't believe you convinced me because you didn't :madspit: :)

financeguy said:
I don't think Oasis are under-appreciated in the US. I think they've done pretty well, considering that their music is, well, not entirely original. Great rock anthems but they're not exactly earth-shattering.

Bands like The Stone Roses and the Manic Street Preachers - yes.

Oasis were influenced by The Stone Roses. Liam's presence in the stage is a clear imitation of Ian Brown. The only difference is that Ian Brown actually danced on stage, and Liam barely moves. But his expression and atitude is exactly the same as Brown.

Oasis were "lucky" because their music sounded like The Beatles, wich was a way of entering in the US market.

Bands like The Stone Roses couldn't have entered because their music was highly original and inovative. And we all know US market has aversion to "new" things.

The Stone Roses belonged to a style called Madchester, and it was a very English style. It partcularly influenced Brit Pop wich didn't had any impact in US market. The only band from Brit Pop that managed to conquer the US was... Oasis.

As much as I love Stone Roses (one of my favorites bands ever) I have to say that Oasis are better (FOR ME); I remember a quote by Noel who said to John Squire something like "We are going to be the greatest band in the world, and we are going to top even The Stone Roses"

And back to the B-sides discussion, I also think that Oasis b-sides are better that U2's (As I said before), you just have to hear some of this songs:

Sad Song (Amazing, amazing song, and it's only available on Definitly Maybe on vinyl and on a japanese single)
Fade Away
Half the world away
Let's all make believe (one of the greatest songs ever written, and it's a b-side!!!)
The Masterplan (a b-side??? WTF was Noel thinking???????)
Acquiesce
One way road
Step Out
Full On
Round are way
Listen up
It's good to be free
Talk tonight
Headshrinker
Rockin' Chair
Underneath the sky
Going nowhere
Take me away

And the list go on and on....

You can hear samples on oasis website: http://www.oasisinet.com/site.php?site=singles&atype=0

The Stone Roses debut album (in my opinion) is far and away the greatest debut album of all time, Def Maybe the second best debut, but unfortunatly Oasis have never come close to repeating that lp's spark & excitement, and i include WTSMG in that, whereas even when U2 have released albums that have not been as comercially successful as J.Tree or Achtung Baby, they're still good-great discs, Zooropa a perfect example, Oasis rely too much on the idiots big mouth to raise their profile around each new release, they're just a bunch of bores who could have been massive, if only they hadn't believed the hype that surrounded there mid '90's success

Best debut album ever?
Led Zeppelin I!!!!
It includes the mother of all rock songs: Dazed and confused. Now, that´s what I call rock. Not what the Gallagher brothers do.
Then again, LZ is maybe my second favourite band, although miles behind U2.
Other great debut albums are Pearl Jam´s Ten, and U2´s Boy, of course.
But you´re right, The Stone Roses debut is incredible great, too bad it´s also their best.

jimmmm said:
The Stone Roses debut album (in my opinion) is far and away the greatest debut album of all time, Def Maybe the second best debut, but unfortunatly Oasis have never come close to repeating that lp's spark & excitement, and i include WTSMG in that, whereas even when U2 have released albums that have not been as comercially successful as J.Tree or Achtung Baby, they're still good-great discs, Zooropa a perfect example, Oasis rely too much on the idiots big mouth to raise their profile around each new release, they're just a bunch of bores who could have been massive, if only they hadn't believed the hype that surrounded there mid '90's success

Back
Top Bottom