Not impressed by the set-list!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i want to make it clear that i wasn't complaining about "static setlists". they haven't been THAT static, certainly not for u2's standards.

certainly after following some other bands' setlists (blur, radiohead, massive attack, etc.), u2 certainly aren't alone in not changing up everything night by night.

i want to make it clear that i wasn't complaining about "static setlists". they haven't been THAT static, certainly not for u2's standards.

certainly after following some other bands' setlists (blur, radiohead, massive attack, etc.), u2 certainly aren't alone in not changing up everything night by night.

I think your comment was clear....too much from this decade. Completely agree.

Holy fuck. It's not that those who defend the band have arguments without merit, it's that they don't have any points! They just get mad at people who criticize them. Like you - getting mad at critics, but even you admit that the sets could be better. Which is my point. They could be better, and to say otherwise without saying why the current show is as good as can be, or good enough, is retarded. As for going to a show, it is highly likely that I am going to sell my ticket. Then again, a lot could change in the next 3 months.

They could be better. Drop Stuck, and Elevation for good and rotate in a couple of late 90s songs, and the show will be great. That is my opinion though.. Realistically I don't expect them to ever drop Pride, WOWY, or One (my favorite song). Hell, they could play the same songs and rotate the order a bit and it would be great. I am far from a casual fan and I want to hear Vertigo, COBL, and BD again. I love those songs..They are great live songs. A show full of rarities and songs that have not been played in 2-10 tours would appeal to me, but 79,999 other people? Not so much.

I won't see a show until September, but even if they keep the Barc I setlist when they come to NJ I will still be happy (even if it does have AOH and Desire :() Hell, I would love to hear 11:00, Out of Control, Gloria, A Sort of Homecoming, Exit, All I Want is You, Dirty Day, Gone, Last Night On Earth, Discotheque, Mofo and HMTMKMKM, but even if I don't I'm not disappointed, they put on a great show.

Honestly, I think most of the Pop songs are only overlooked due to most of the media's reaction. If they threw a song like LNOE or Gone in there, the house would still go nuts...no doubt.

the house doesn't go nuts during Unforgettable Fire and Ultra Violet either which are 2 songs already thrown in there for the more die hard U2 fans
even though they both sound amazing they dont get the same reaction as Elevation, Vertigo etc
even Stuck in a moment seemed to get the crowd more involved

I don't doubt something else of POP will show up during the tour
probably Gone
but I don't think it will become a staple this time around either

I completly agree that the setlist hasn't yet fit the stage. I think the second night in Amsterdam got really close minus one or two songs.

I'm just tired of those that come on here and pretend that U2 haven't done static list all their career, or ignore that they've made more changes so far than PopMart, or act like static setlist effect them, they effect the small percentage that go to two or more shows...

See, we can agree and understand each other. I completely agree with your whole post. :up: :)

the house doesn't go nuts during Unforgettable Fire and Ultra Violet either which are 2 songs already thrown in there for the more die hard U2 fans
even though they both sound amazing they dont get the same reaction as Elevation, Vertigo etc

I can definately see that. When I first saw the setlist I thought Ultraviolet and Unf. Fire were being thrown in for more of the diehards. I think on Vertigo they threw in An Cat Dubh, Electric Co and The Ocean for the diehards also. None of those (except Electric Co sometimes) went down well with a large percentage of the crowd.

Its clear though that Ultraviolet was also thrown in there because of the lighting concept that they (I'm assuming Willie) came up with. The song fits it.

the house doesn't go nuts during Unforgettable Fire and Ultra Violet

Well, there's the problem right there.
:down:

I maintain that the beginning of 360 (the first 7 shows, or thereabouts) was among the most static and repetitive of their career. The past few shows, however, have shown them opening it up a bit. I have no idea why they feel the need to dismantle a set they spent so much time perfecting, rather than experiment until they've found the right one, but hey, 70,000 people aren't hanging on my every word every night, thank God.

Yeah, Blur played exactly the same set both nights at Hyde Park, and played the same set at Glastonbury, minus Death Of A Party. As far as I've seen, Radiohead does a great job of mixing it up, at least they did during the beginning of the In Rainbows tour when I was regularly checking the sets. I didn't know what to expect at all when I saw them.

So when this thread gets closed because it reaches 1,000 post, should we take bets as to how long it will be before someone else starts another thread about static setlists?

I think they're trying hard to acommodate everyone,diehards and non-fans. I think most of us would have settled for Unforgettable Fire and Ultraviolet,So I'm not complaining. Personally I' be delighted if they never played Stuck or Elevation again, but that's just my opinion.

I really think U2 is doing a decent job of rotating setlists, especially when compared with previous stadium tours. ZOO TV might have gotten some slight change ups in the acoustic set. POPMART was pretty much the same set from beginning to end, with very few additions or subtractions ever made. Of course they're not going to be able to rotate the sets as much as the arena legs of vertigo (which I must admit, was awesome! Never knew what encore you were going to get!) Also remember, we're only 11 shows in. The Vertigo tour was just starting to stabilize a flow at 11 shows. Remember one of the LA shows where they OPENED with LaPoE and then 8 or 9 80's staples? Terrible.

I don't really care about Unknown Caller in the setlist, I can take it or leave it. While I'm sure that at this point most of the crowd really isn't familiar with TUF or UV, I really hope both of those make it to the Chicago shows. I think UTEOTW should be a staple just like Streets, Pride etc.

I love the set list switching atm, really do, there experimenting and testing all there best songs with the claw, and to me seems like there keeping the ones that do the job the best, only bad thing for me is the 4 new songs in a row, heard loads saying it kills the crowd or there dead for the first 4 songs. Breathe defiantly, and i meen defiantly needs to be dropped as an opener, in all the videos after the intro no1 is going crazy like elevation and vertigo did, hope in these 3 dublin shows they experiment with the openers. But i ant moaning at them, there doing a great job, just need to experiment with the first couple of songs.

fuck me... elevation, stuck in a moment, walk on ALL in the same show?

that's just flat out gross. there are more songs from atyclb being played than there are in total from the 90's combined. fucking brutal.

Agreed, and add Vertigo to that list.

wow, i thought they would shake it up at least a little tonight. apparently not.

oh well, maybe monday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom