north star update

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I quite like "North Star," actually... but I agree with the comments above in that I don't think it's the direction I really want U2 to take right now.

North Star was a beautiful song and deserves to be finished and released. Yeah, I want new music from U2... just goes to show we should have had a new EP in 2010!

North Star, IMO, has too much HTDAAB DNA to be considered for a future album. New version of Mercy suffers from this, too. That song's a lot more interesting in its sprawling working form. U2 did some of their best work in that vein on TUF... they should call a song finished in its more ambitious form more often.

U2 did some of their best work in that vein on TUF... they should call a song finished in its more ambitious form more often.

I agree. I recall reading an interview with Bono at some point in the last 5 or 6 years in which he said that the lyrics in either Streets or Bad (I can't remember which) are too vague and unfinished. :doh:

I agree. I recall reading an interview with Bono at some point in the last 5 or 6 years in which he said that they lyrics in either Streets or Bad (I can't remember which) are too vague and unfinished. :doh:

I remember that. I believe it was Bad he was talking about, which I don't really agree with. I think the lyrics to Bad (as well as Streets) are quite great. Maybe it's just because Bono forgets the lyrics to Bad more often? :wink:

Sadz. Any other lesser band (like The Fray, or something), North Star could have been a radio hit. Lovely melody and all. But yeah, U2 can surpass that many times.

I'm loving the extra bit from certain live performances only "You want it, you've got it, you takin; it..." er...

You'd think Edge would be more sensitive, but I guess survival of the flesh trumps survival of the soul in paradise for him.
I dunno. His decision to release 'Get On Your Boots' as a lead-single seems to suggest that he was willing to forgo all earthly rewards for utter derision.

But then again, U2's adding 'I'll Go Crazy if I Don't Go Crazy Tonight' to their official canon does support your thesis.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom