North Star decent version?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DU2

The Fly
U2 New Song 2012-North Star - YouTube

I just found this excerpt of North Star from the Transformers 3 movie.
Sounds pretty amazing, doesn't it?
Anyway, it's just 2 minutes long.
Is there an enjoyable live recording?

Also, do you think North Star will be on the next album?

Wow, interesting. I had only heard the version of this that was taped with somebody's cell phone in the movies or something.

I hear some noise in the background. Not the beach, surely? :wink:

Also, I'm not sure if I like this.

I'm kinda surprised 2 minutes of a new U2 studio recording gets so little traction here. I'd think U2 fans would go nuts.

I'm kinda surprised 2 minutes of a new U2 studio recording gets so little traction here. I'd think U2 fans would go nuts.

Haha that's what I thought about several minutes worth of a completely unknown song being played in rehearsal last year, and no one cares as well.

Awesome! That sounds really good. I was wondering when someone would filter out all the movie noise and post the song fragment on its own.

Cleaned up, this song sounds REALLY good. Why the hell they haven't released this song in full I honestly don't know. I love Adam's bass drop before the chorus!

Maybe it's the visuals, but this is feeling a bit Armageddon to me. And in a Diane Warren kind of way.

Now I want animal crackers.

presumably from somebody who works in the movie studio or involved in the editing process w/ the song in Transformers 3, since the clip is identical to the clip that was in the movie -- just obviously the proper version.

Why U2 decides to just sit on material like this, I do not know. should have released it during the tour last year as a one-off single and played it instead of Stay or Stuck.

As great as it is to hear new material, this song has never really impressed me. The acoustic one they played on tour seemed pretty bland and soppy to me, and this one seems to rely on an insane amount of layers - piano, strings etc - to make the song at all interesting (whilst imo making it even more cheesy, beating you over the head with it's sentimental vibe). I mean, how they hell would they play this live, without having to use a fuck-ton of backing tracks?

Here's a version that a fan added bass, drums, and strings to an acoustic performance Bono and Edge did with the audio taken from an IEM.

U2 - North Star (full band version) - YouTube

This next one is another fan made version of North Star with Bono's vocals. This one is more in the style of the Transformers version.

U2 - North Star (Transformers Version) - YouTube

I really liked the version that was in Transformers and the full band video (the first one) I posted really made me like the song A LOT. I really hope this gets released. I couldn't give a shit about how they'd pull it off live. It's just a great song and that's all I want.

i think the chorus is weaksauce ("i can't wait, i can't wait ...").

it starts out lovely and longing but then ...

i think the chorus is weaksauce ("i can't wait, i can't wait ...").

it starts out lovely and longing but then ...

Certainly not the first chorus that he's repeated something though.

"Gonna run to you, run to you, run to you..."

"I'd give it up, yeah, I'd give it up..."

"You've got to give it away, you've got to give it away..."

It's ok I guess. I do hope they release it early, or not at all. This isn't album-worthy imo.

yes, this is RedOne produced. I didn't see the movie, but apparently he's given production credits for North Star by U2 at the end of the movie.

So can we please keep reminding people of this whenever people cry that RedOne producing = U2 sounding like Lady Gaga's danciest hits?

Dance music producer =/= oonts oonts oonts

Certainly not the first chorus that he's repeated something though.

"Gonna run to you, run to you, run to you..."

"I'd give it up, yeah, I'd give it up..."

"You've got to give it away, you've got to give it away..."

it's not what he's saying but how he's singing it that's never sat well with me. it just doesn't ... like i said, i think it starts out pretty but then ...

Animal_cracker.jpg

corianderstem said:
So can we please keep reminding people of this whenever people cry that RedOne producing = U2 sounding like Lady Gaga's danciest hits?

Dance music producer =/= oonts oonts oonts

I'd probably prefer oonts oonts oonts to this, honestly.

Back
Top Bottom