No Album till Next Winter!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Axver said:

By your logic, The Beatles and Elvis should be totally forgotten about and unheard-of.

You mean someone out there is expecting a newly recorded Beatles or Elvis CD? Did McCartney say it should be out in the spring as U2 have? Perhap Elvis will be rising from the grave to put out his Fall release? There is a difference between an active and retired artist. Don't you see that?

bayernfc said:

:yes: That's exactly what I said when I read the "Statement"!

Why does everyone think it's a ploy? Does anybody have any evidence to make them believe otherwise? I'll take the word of U2's management over the word of a few people who have "unidentified sources".

Well, that "news" is sort of a heartbreaker, but i'm gonna ignore it for now, and just be patient from now on. I was getting too worked up about the new cd coming, i was losing my mind waiting for it! Now, i'll just sit back, listen to what we have, and be pleased when i hear the new album single!

As for U2 potentially wanted to perfect and re-work some things, all i have to say is that they must feel the pressure of trying to top the last album and are a bit nervous of the new release. They definetly don't want to have another "pop" episode. (which i think is nutz cuz the pop cd is Super cool! I think the image killed it, but the music was cool!)

Anyway, i respect the fact that they want to produce a great album. They could just throw out any "crap" album and they know they'd make a fortune for it. If it says U2, people WILL buyu it. Even Pop sold alot, although some people thought it was weak.
I guess it would be the respect they have to their fans if they ever made a decision to re-work and improve an album.

What i found a little weird is that this news says nothing about re-working an album, it actually doesn't give any reasoning to the delay, thats why i think it's a bunch of B.S.

cseggleton said:
Fuck . U2 can do whatever they want. Headache is dead on. As for the Radiohead stuff. U2 could do that in their sleep and you know what the last 3 radiohead albums will never be remembered. so i guess what it boils down to is people get a life and the album comes out when the boys want it to.

Too bad you're dead wrong. U2 couldn't "do" (I guess meaning compose:rolleyes: ) the material that Radiohead has on their last 3 albums; which is fine with me...I prefer the uplifting music u2 makes, and go to Radiohead for the darkness and bite....but no matter what I prefer; U2 are not musically capable of those albums, pure and simple: it's far more complex than anything U2 has ever done or CAN do. sorry. and Radiohead WILL be remembered for those.

next:
if this is true and the new U2 album is not coming out until winter 2004/2005, that is some sad fucking shit. It's one thing if they said: "we want to spend time with our families and go to the zoo with our kids and sail around the world in a rowboat and count the grass in Ireland and knit each other sweaters INSTEAD of working on an album".
But they haven't said that.

"We want to capture the momentum"
"It's a monster"
"The edge is on fire"

yeah? well where the fuck is it?

I'm saving my harshest criticism if this is proven true. until then I'm going to pretend I never heard it and hope for a spring release.

spring 2004 that is.:banghead:

JOFO said:

Too bad you're dead wrong. U2 couldn't "do" (I guess meaning compose:rolleyes: ) the material that Radiohead has on their last 3 albums; which is fine with me...I prefer the uplifting music u2 makes, and go to Radiohead for the darkness and bite....but no matter what I prefer; U2 are not musically capable of those albums, pure and simple: it's far more complex than anything U2 has ever done or CAN do. sorry. and Radiohead WILL be remembered for those.

next:
if this is true and the new U2 album is not coming out until winter 2004/2005, that is some sad fucking shit. It's one thing if they said: "we want to spend time with our families and go to the zoo with our kids and sail around the world in a rowboat and count the grass in Ireland and knit each other sweaters INSTEAD of working on an album".
But they haven't said that.

"We want to capture the momentum"
"It's a monster"
"The edge is on fire"

yeah? well where the fuck is it?

I'm saving my harshest criticism if this is proven true. until then I'm going to pretend I never heard it and hope for a spring release.

spring 2004 that is.:banghead:

I agree totally.

I do think this is true until proven otherwise. I'll believe a news item from a U2-related company over some news someone has from some unidentified source ie a friend who knows a guy who works with a girl who is the sister-in-law to a guy who lives in Dublin who knows a guy who met Ali once at the grocery store.

People, Bono has been known to say up to recently that it would be a spring/summer release. It isn't all just "unidentified sources" saying this stuff.

lew07 said:
What i found a little weird is that this news says nothing about re-working an album, it actually doesn't give any reasoning to the delay, thats why i think it's a bunch of B.S.

Good point.

Also, to everything Headache's saying...:up: :applaud: :yes:.

Seriously, while I personally love Pop, I just know that some people who are impatient with this album's release would, once it came out, be upset because it didn't sound the way they were hoping it would, and the band themselves might be unhappy with the results of some of the songs, and then there'd be even more arguing a la Pop (geez, not long after I joined this site, there were people still arguing about whether or not Pop was good-and it came out in the late 90s!), and I don't know about you guys, but I'm guessing a lot of people really don't want to go through that again. And I don't think U2 does, either. Why do you think they've taken their time with ATYCLB, and now this album?

Angela

Last edited:
Im an aussie so winter 2004 means potentially a june release down under, so heres hoping the u2 management team are talking in southern hemisphere terms........

:wink: :wink: :wink:

The person who said this at the PR company is probably having a great time laughing at everyone getting workred up about her statement.:ohmy:

to PR(who gave this news)
fuckyou.gif

Last edited:
intedomine said:
Im an aussie so winter 2004 means potentially a june release down under, so heres hoping the u2 management team are talking in southern hemisphere terms........

:wink: :wink: :wink:

:applaud:
so this is good new for us aussies ;)

the beatles released albums , songs each year ( till 1970 anyway )
elvis toured every year , bono is too busy with his aids thing , he becomes Bob Geldoff :madspit:

Sherry Darling said:
Mr Brau1, you'd NEVER make it as a Springsteen fan. :p

SD

Strange world! As I read this message-the sax solo for "Jungleland" blasts from my speakers! U2 need a few 9 minute epics!

You're right MrBrau1...

U2 take too damn long to make albums...

On another note... someone was talking about the length of time U2 takes when they make records and how its been consistent over their career in the sense that they've always taken a long time... untrue. Back in the day, Boy, October, War, and Unforgettable Fire were almost released within a year and half of each other. When was Unforgettable Fire released? The impression I got was that it was released in '85 but doing some research, Kurt Loder reviewed the album in an October 11, 1984 issue of Rolling Stone. Thus it was probably released in early October or late September of '84. Joshua Tree was released 1-1-87 from what I looked up. That is about/under 2-1/2 years (plus an EP in the middle) and not the 3-4 years that is often suggested. Also Rattle & Hum was released a year or two later from Joshua Tree.

Achtung was released 3 years after Rattle & Hum but they intimated that they would be going away a while or that is the impression I got and not these terrible predictions that the band and co. have been suggesting. Then after Achtung (Nov. 1991) they releaed Zooropa in May 1993. Another big break again with Pop which was released in late 1997. People point to that break as another example. The problem there is that Passengers was released in 1995 and even though Eno was more of a partner, it was still filled with U2 songs (i.e. full band participated songs).

Only recently (recent relases I mean) though, have they been sooooooooo stinkin slow. It was ATYCLB and now this new album ( 3+ years each album maybe 4 years for the next album if the rumors are true).

A band that is just hitting their stride (paraphrase in Bono's words) doesn't take 3-4 years making albums. At this rate, Radiohead, Coldplay, and the White Stripes (examples and please don't compare there level of bigness) will have already released 2 or even 3 critically acclaimed albums (if they're consistent) by the release of this new U2 album...

I think U2 is setting themselves up for a big fall unless God, Allah, aliens, or Buddha has blessed U2 with the ability to make another Joshua Tree/ Achtung Baby. However, I highly doubt it...

Working on an album a long time doesn't increase the quality of the product. ATYCLB isn't any more stronger than War, Joshua Tree, Zooropa, etc... yet it was one of the albums they took longest to make...

U2 is already setting expectations high with this long wait with the fans. I just hope this new album isn't filled with a ton of Electrical Storms and Hands that Built America...

Last edited:
Why not be happy we're getting a new cd at all?

Also, you don't know what is going on with the band, plus Bono has all his Africa work to do. If you think a new music album is worth the lives of the people in africa then you need your head checked.

I'm not trying to be rude, just look at this from another perspecitve. Imagine how the band might feel. They have an amazing new album they can't wait to release but there are some problems with who-knows-what and they are getting frustrated and just want to release the album to their fans, but can't!

And what if a single is released today or tommorow? would u still think they take too long. Just relax and enjoy the anticipation. Its hard to sit back and wait. I know, it's driving me mad, but there are so many factors you need to consider before you go off and turn into a band hater.

It could be out of their hands.......who knows?????

A single being released tomorrow would be great but doesn't sound like its going to happen and yes they still take too long even if they released it tomorrow. Bands tour and have just as busy lives as this band (when on tour) and are able to put out albums in less time that are just as strong as ATYCLB.

LOL at mentioning Africa... Bono's time and work is helpful and I'm glad he's doing it but its not like he's doing all the work by himself in terms of AIDS help or forgiveness of debts issues. He has enough free time to fly around and carouse with celebs, write a children's book, do interviews, go to awards shows, etc. than the Africa work isn't as time consuming as people make it out to be and it shouldn't be. Bono's a wealthy man with many connections now. He is probably not doing all the lobbying or paper work and shouldn't be b/c that would be ineffecient. And politcally speaking, there is only so much Bono can do for the plight African nations in terms of AIDS... governments move slow and change takes place at a crawl... Everything doesn't fall on Bono's shoulders in terms of every AIDS death that takes place.

Otherwise, I guess b/c of Bono's Africa work he shouldn't even be making an album, huh...

I've gone and listened to other people and bands during this wait as people have suggested and now with new year upon us, I'm ready for new U2. Look at it from my/ other complainers perspective. The band hasn't helped by giving us too hopeful clues about a release of the album.

Again

Flying FuManchu said:
People criticize the complainers... but c'mon... the most recent news was as someone said... its akin to being kicked in the stomach...

You silly, this is a U2 board where only praise is accepted. Anything else is "anti-U2" comments. If you're upset about the album delay, keep it to yourself and go listen to the back catalog.

Last edited:
You silly. Your lucky to even have ears with which to listen to the back catalog. Be grateful you're not a bat, unable to hear U2's music.

MrBrau1 said:
You silly. Your lucky to even have ears with which to listen to the back catalog. Be grateful you're not a bat, unable to hear U2's music.

you know what's annoying to me about those comments from other fans?
I've been listening to u2's back catalog since I started listening to them in 1984.
sorry for those who only became fans since POP.

I'd like new material, and stop saying "stop complaining". I have a right to vent my dissappointment.

Last edited:
A famous italian magazine wrote that the new U2 album is confirmed for May, but everything about it is still a mystery.
I dont believe in what that Regine Moylett said, what's the point in making photos with Corbijn almost one year before the release ?!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom