NLOTH Singles Chart Watch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Think about The Rolling Stones Bridges to Babylon album. The first single, "Anybody seen my baby", was a little too "out there" for people to accept it as a Rolling Stones song. The album began to flop. Then, the album's second single "Saint of me", while a much better song, flopped in a similar way to Magnificent. Then the album really tanked. However, the tour was a huge success.

This, unfortunately, is where U2 is at, and will forever be. Their days of hit albums/singles are over. They're too big and too old. However, they still have many year of sold out tours left in them. Hopefully this leads to them making more adventurous albums just because they want to. If nobody is going to buy them, and they aren't going to play the songs live, then why not just let your imagination's run wild?

Think about The Rolling Stones Bridges to Babylon album. The first single, "Anybody seen my baby", was a little too "out there" for people to accept it as a Rolling Stones song. The album began to flop. Then, the album's second single "Saint of me", while a much better song, flopped in a similar way to Magnificent. Then the album really tanked. However, the tour was a huge success.

This, unfortunately, is where U2 is at, and will forever be. Their days of hit albums/singles are over. They're too big and too old.

only they do have a hit album, the best selling album of the year, the album that will start to sell even better when the tour starts and The Claw will be all over media.
There will be few albums that might do better, but only in US and UK (like Green Day and Eminem), worldwide, IMO, U2 will have the best selling album of the year, something The Rolling Stones didn't have with the last 3 albums.

Just happened to catch a 5 minutes snippet of "Rick Dees Weekly Top 40" on Satellite Radio yesterday...and when he recapped the "Hot Adult Top 40", he had Magnificent at #15, up 3 spots from last week. Just checked his website, and it is indeed up to 15, with links to i-tunes and amazon for downloads.

Interestingly, on Amazon, the link went straight to the album cut, which is now ranked #51 in top "rock" downloads, #89 in top "pop" downloads, and #183 in overall downloads. While this is not great charting, just a week ago when I checked Amazon for the Magnificent EP, the song ranked somewhere around #650, so the song has definitely gained awareness in this past week or so.

...and this is on the Amazon Front Page for music downloads:

Hot Rock Songs

1. Brother (previously u… by Pearl Jam
2. Magnificent by U2
3. The Night by Disturbed
4. Drowning (Face Down) … by Saving Abel
5. Wars by Hurt
6. Seasons by The Veer Union
7. Dirty Little Girl by Burn Halo
8. Contagious by Trapt
9. Scarlet Letters by Mudvayne
10. Young by Hollywood Undead
11. Airstream Driver by Gomez
12. Wrong by Depeche Mode
13. Zero by Yeah Yeah Yeahs
14. Grapevine Fires by Death Cab For Cutie
15. Spaceman by The Killers

...and on the i-tunes page, the Magnificent Remixes are featured on the Rock front page in the "New and Noteworthy" section, the "What's Hot" section, and it's the #66 selling rock album today.

NLOTH is 13
U218 Singles Deluxe is 71

How is Pearl Jam's 'Brother' previously unreleased? That b-side has been around for ages.

How is Pearl Jam's 'Brother' previously unreleased? That b-side has been around for ages.

It was released on 'lost dogs', a collection of rare songs and b-sides .. but the version on that disc didn't have lyrics or vocals.. They added lyrics and just released it for the reissue of Ten. A good track..

This, unfortunately, is where U2 is at, and will forever be. Their days of hit albums/singles are over. They're too big and too old. However, they still have many year of sold out tours left in them. Hopefully this leads to them making more adventurous albums just because they want to. If nobody is going to buy them, and they aren't going to play the songs live, then why not just let your imagination's run wild?

Nah, U2 are still putting out relevant and good music. If anything their position in the rock world could be compared to where the Stones were at in 79/80.. Let's just hope U2 never reach their "Dirty Work" phase, like the Stones did.

It was released on 'lost dogs', a collection of rare songs and b-sides .. but the version on that disc didn't have lyrics or vocals.. They added lyrics and just released it for the reissue of Ten. A good track..

Call me a bad fan then, I didn't know about the new version. But I have a hard enough time keeping up with current music, let alone remasters, I still need to get R.E.M.'s 'Murmur'.

Bridges To Babylon sold less than POP in 1997 which finished the year in the USA at #45 on the year end album chart!

Right now, at nearly the 6 month mark, No Line On The Horizon is the 3rd biggest selling album in the USA of 2009. Worldwide, it is the biggest selling album of the year, just as Joshua Tree was at this time back in 1987.

Bridges To Babylon was not even in the top 50 worldwide back in 1997. There is absolutely NO comparison at all!

only they do have a hit album, the best selling album of the year, the album that will start to sell even better when the tour starts and The Claw will be all over media.
There will be few albums that might do better, but only in US and UK (like Green Day and Eminem), worldwide, IMO, U2 will have the best selling album of the year, something The Rolling Stones didn't have with the last 3 albums.

The Rolling Stones have never had the biggest selling album in any given year worldwide.

U2 never had the best selling abum in any given year either.

At 15 million copies sold worldwide from March 17, 1987 through December 31, 1987 , Joshua Tree is often sited as the biggest selling album of 1987 worldwide.

Achtung Baby was the 5th biggest selling album in the USA in 1992 and at least the 4th biggest selling album worldwide of 1992 as well.

If you follow the Billboard chart year, November to November for 2005, HTDAAB is either the 2nd biggest or the biggest album of 2005.

In light of the above facts, the success of No Line On The Horizon this year is even more impressive. It will still be the top album when week 26 comes around, as for where it will be in week 39 or the end of the year week 52, its to early to say, but it definitely has a strong chance to be the top selling album of the year worldwide.

In light of the above facts, the success of No Line On The Horizon this year is even more impressive. It will still be the top album when week 26 comes around, as for where it will be in week 39 or the end of the year week 52, its to early to say, but it definitely has a strong chance to be the top selling album of the year worldwide.

I agree but I wouldn´t rule out the possibility that Eminem´s latest is able to get to the 3 million mark worldwide in 5-6 weeks, that is, mid-year 2009.
I know it´s quite unlikely though. I guess the sales progression during the next two weeks will tell.

At 15 million copies sold worldwide from March 17, 1987 through December 31, 1987 , Joshua Tree is often sited as the biggest selling album of 1987 worldwide.

Achtung Baby was the 5th biggest selling album in the USA in 1992 and at least the 4th biggest selling album worldwide of 1992 as well.

If you follow the Billboard chart year, November to November for 2005, HTDAAB is either the 2nd biggest or the biggest album of 2005.

Yes, you're right, I forgot about Joshua Tree. Anyway, Michael Jackson's Bad, Tracy Chapman's first album and Dirty Dancing are all claimed to have sold over 30 million, which means that they could have sold more (or at least as much as that U2's title). However, when we count the period 1987, 1988 and early 1989, U2 were definitely the best selling band with their big sles coming from Ruttle and Hum too. :ohmy:

Where did you take the information about Acthung Baby being the #4 selling album of 1992 worlwide?. It sounds interesting, but there is no body tracking sales on a worldwide scale, so I assume that your numbers are based on salesguesses or something, aren't they?.

Between the last part of 1991 and the entire year 1992, I think that there were probably a few more albums that outsold U2's worldwide. I can think of Dangerous (close to 30 million), Queen's Greatest Hits 2, Metallica's self title album, Nirvana's Nevermind, and a few others that were on par with U2 like Gun 'N' Roses's Use Your Illusion 1 and Use Your Illusion 2, as well Pearl Jam, RHCP and maybe some more. The best selling band over that period was (obvious reasons) Queen.

Now that I think it better, I think that U2's Best of 1980-1990 may have been the best selling album of 1998 (not sure about Titanic and whether it came out in that yeat or 1997 though).

Yes, you're right, I forgot about Joshua Tree. Anyway, Michael Jackson's Bad, Tracy Chapman's first album and Dirty Dancing are all claimed to have sold over 30 million, which means that they could have sold more (or at least as much as that U2's title). However, when we count the period 1987, 1988 and early 1989, U2 were definitely the best selling band with their big sles coming from Ruttle and Hum too. :ohmy:

Yes, but thats with since that time, not what those albums actually sold in 1988. Joshua Tree's sales as of 2009 are also thought to be over 30 million as well.

Where did you take the information about Acthung Baby being the #4 selling album of 1992 worlwide?. It sounds interesting, but there is no body tracking sales on a worldwide scale, so I assume that your numbers are based on salesguesses or something, aren't they?.

Its based on how the album finished on the year end soundscan chart in the USA, chart performance outside the USA in 1992, and estimated sales levels for various albums at that point in time.

Between the last part of 1991 and the entire year 1992, I think that there were probably a few more albums that outsold U2's worldwide. I can think of Dangerous (close to 30 million), Queen's Greatest Hits 2, Metallica's self title album, Nirvana's Nevermind, and a few others that were on par with U2 like Gun 'N' Roses's Use Your Illusion 1 and Use Your Illusion 2, as well Pearl Jam, RHCP and maybe some more. The best selling band over that period was (obvious reasons) Queen.

1. Achtung Baby was the 5th biggest selling album in the USA. The only albums ahead of it were "Garth Brooks Ropin The Wind", "Dangerous Michael Jackson", "Nirvana Nevermind", and "Some Gave All Billy Ray Cyrus". Billy Ray and Garth Brooks don't sell well outside of the USA, so on a global scale their sales were smaller than Achtung Baby.

2. The only albums that I see possibly outselling Achtung Baby worldwide during that period are Michael Jackson Dangerous, Genesis I Can't Dance, and Nirvana Nevermind. The only Queen album that made the top 100 selling albums in the USA in 1992 was classic Queen which came in at #34 for the year in the USA. The Queen album did not reach the 2 million mark before the end of the year in the USA, while Achtung Baby had sold over 4.5 million copies during the same period in the USA.

3. Metallica's self titled album did not cross the 10 million mark until the spring of 1993, 6 months AFTER Achtung Baby had passed that mark. This information comes from Metallica's own sales information posted in the booklet for their Live SH%T: Binge And Purge box set.

4. The Guns N' Roses Use Your Illision albums both sold less than Achtung Baby did in the USA by about a 1 million copies during that time period. There is nothing that shows that those albums charted better or sold more overseas than Achtung Baby, especially to make up for being behind in sales in the USA.

5. Pearl Jam's TEN finished 1992 in the USA at #11. Worldwide, sales were much less at that time. The majority of Pearl Jam's album sales have always come from North America.

6. RHCP's album finished at #14 in the USA in 1992. It does not appear that they were able to cross the 10 million mark within that time frame worldwide.

So to some up, the only album I know for sure that actually outsold Achtung Baby was Dangerous by Michael Jackson. The only other two possibilities are Genesis I Can't Dance and Nirvana's Nevermind for that time period.

Of course, album sales are only 50% of what determines artist popularity, with the other 50% being determined by concert ticket sales. When it came to concert ticket sales during that time, U2 were clearly #1. Combining both, U2 were the biggest band of the early 1990s on a worldwide scale. Obviously, that may not have been true for some specific countries, but overall worldwide that was the case.

I think that you might be right about Joshua Tree, most of those albums achieved the bulk of their sales via "catalog sales", once their initial sales were done. They all continue to sell. Anyway, I'm sure that Bad shipped well over 15 million already by the end of 1988, give the big sales of Michael Jackson's previous title. but it is difficult to sort such sles out.

As for 1992, I think that you are probably right about RHCP, Pear Jam, and maybe even Metallica, as they sold mainly on catalog. I hadn't thought of "I Can't Dance", to be honest, but it was big.

Queen's Greatest Hits 2 definitely outsold Acthung Baby during the end of 1991 and the course of 1992. In USA (released under the name Classic Queen), it shipped 2,000,000 by the end of the year and over 500,000 units in Canada.

But it fared much better outside North America, given the band's big appeal all over the world in terms of sale numbers (albums and singles). Greatest Hits 2 by Queen shipped 2,000,000 in both UK and Germany by the end of that year. That works out to be over 4,000,000 units from just two countries. It was given a diamond award in France with sales of 1,300,000 by early 1993. It was the best selling album of 1991 and 1992 in Italy with sales of 1,000,000 (by now, it is easily the best international album ever there in Italy). It received a 4 platinum award in Switzerland (200,000), and was the best selling album of the year in Austria, Spain, Sweden, Hungary, Netherlands, Finland, Portugal and some more. All in all, it sold over 10 million units in Europe alone by the end of 1992 and roughly 16 million worldwide. So yes, as a live draw, U2 were probably the biggest ones (along with Guns 'N' Roses) but Queen were definitely the biggest selling band of the period, and obviously, they couldn't tour back then.

Billboard seems to have a "format" for every type of song ever made. Anyway, here are this week's numbers for Magnificent:

Hot Singles Sales Chart
Magnificent debuts at #4

Triple A
#2 for the 11th straight week

Adult Top 40
#25 for the 2nd straight week

Hot Dance Singles SALES
Debuts at #2, right behind Black Eyed Peas and right above Beyonce

Hot Dance Club Play
Magnificent rises from 33 to 24 with the "POWER PICK" designation

Top 100 Hits Online
Magnificent up to 14 from 17

Europe Total Airplay
Magnifent down one spot to #14, but one spot ahead of Green Day's new single

I think that you might be right about Joshua Tree, most of those albums achieved the bulk of their sales via "catalog sales", once their initial sales were done. They all continue to sell. Anyway, I'm sure that Bad shipped well over 15 million already by the end of 1988, give the big sales of Michael Jackson's previous title. but it is difficult to sort such sles out.

As for 1992, I think that you are probably right about RHCP, Pear Jam, and maybe even Metallica, as they sold mainly on catalog. I hadn't thought of "I Can't Dance", to be honest, but it was big.

Queen's Greatest Hits 2 definitely outsold Acthung Baby during the end of 1991 and the course of 1992. In USA (released under the name Classic Queen), it shipped 2,000,000 by the end of the year and over 500,000 units in Canada.

But it fared much better outside North America, given the band's big appeal all over the world in terms of sale numbers (albums and singles). Greatest Hits 2 by Queen shipped 2,000,000 in both UK and Germany by the end of that year. That works out to be over 4,000,000 units from just two countries. It was given a diamond award in France with sales of 1,300,000 by early 1993. It was the best selling album of 1991 and 1992 in Italy with sales of 1,000,000 (by now, it is easily the best international album ever there in Italy). It received a 4 platinum award in Switzerland (200,000), and was the best selling album of the year in Austria, Spain, Sweden, Hungary, Netherlands, Finland, Portugal and some more. All in all, it sold over 10 million units in Europe alone by the end of 1992 and roughly 16 million worldwide. So yes, as a live draw, U2 were probably the biggest ones (along with Guns 'N' Roses) but Queen were definitely the biggest selling band of the period, and obviously, they couldn't tour back then.

I checked my numbers, and these are the sales of Greatest Hits 2 by Queen In Europe by the end of 1992 or early 1993, in the lead markets:

UK: 2,100,000 (roughly)
Germany: 2,000,000
France: 1,300,000
Italy: 1,000,000
Spain: 500,000 (certified 5 times platinum in that same year, while the album charting; it peaked at #1 during 8 weeks)
Netherlands: 400,000 (#1 during during 13 weeks)
Sweden: 200,000 (#1 international album of the year)
Swizterland: 200,000
Austria: 150,000

Those 9 countries represent, altogether, 82% of all sales in Europe. Queen sold close to 8,000,000 in those places, denoting sales of 9,500,000 by the end of 1992 in Europe.

The album was a big seller in Latin America, the best selling English album of the 90's. In Argentina, it went diamond in Oct 1999 (506,000) and double platinum in Brazil in 1997 (500,000), as well as platinum in 1992 in Mexico (250,000). It sold about 1,300,000 up through the end of 1992.

In Australia, the album went four times platinum 1992 and sold roughly 300,000. Then 100,000 in both New Zealand and Japan.

So, to sum up (estimated sales):

Europe: 9,500,000
USA: 2,000,000
Canada: 500,000
Australia: 300,000
Latin America: 1,300,000
New Zealand: 100,000+
Japan: 100,000

With Asia, Africa and Middle East, this album definitely sold 15,000,000+ worldwide by the end of 1992 and well over 20,000,000 by now.

This is just one album. Innuendo sold 5 million worldwide; Live At Wembley over 2,500,000 and their Greatest Hits 1 was just as big as Greatest Hits 2. So Queen were definitely the best selling band of that part of the decade.

As of May 17, 1993, Metallica's record company reported the following sales for their self titled album released August 1991:

United States: 6,627,187
Canada: 759,502
Japan: 186,064
Rest Of The World: 3,317,580

TOTAL WORLDWIDE on May 17, 1993: 10,890,333

So the total at the end of December 1992 was less than that figure.

Classic Queen did not hit 2 million in the USA until December 14, 1993. At the end of 1992 it was only at the platinum 1 million level.

Europe: 9,500,000
USA: 2,000,000
Canada: 500,000
Australia: 300,000
Latin America: 1,300,000
New Zealand: 100,000+
Japan: 100,000

As for as Queen's greatest hits total sales in that period, I really do not have anyway to confirm that and remain skeptical. First, most greatest hits albums achieve their sales over time, not in the first year of release. Second, IFPI did not start to certify European sales until 1996 and would only certify albums that were released after January 1, 1994.

The British certified awards database has been taken down for the moment so I could not check there. Canada's CRIA I don't think has a database anymore and don't know of the sites for the other countries although I do know the Germans have one.

So Queen were definitely the best selling band of that part of the decade.

You have to remember though that U2's entire 80s catalog had large sales during the early 90s. During 1993, War recharted in France and made it back to #4. War, Under A Blood Red Sky, Unforgettable Fire, Rattle And Hum, Joshua Tree, all sold millions during this time period. U2's heaviest catalog sales worldwide come from this time period, the early 1990s, so I would argue they were the bigger seller during the period when it came to albums.

In any event, with global sales, its hard to confirm one way or the other for sure. Another thing to consider is that Queen Greatest Hits was a greatest hits album of old material, while Achtung Baby was all new material. U2 were still an active band, Queen was not.

Thank you for those Metallica figures. Are they shipments?. It is interesting.

As for Queen, Classic Queen was certified double platinum in 1993 in USA, but the band was given a special in-house award in 1992 for sales of 2,000,000 units of that album and 1,000,000 of their Greatest Hits 1. According to Billboard magazine, as of Jul 1992, the album had sold 1,500,000 units in USA, which is the reason why it isn't difficult to believe that it sold 2 million by the Dec that year.

As for my figures, they are all confirmed. Greatest Hits 2 was 5 times platinum in UK on Jun 1992 (1,500,000) and shipped a further 518,472 copies from Jul 1992 to December that very year. The figure for Italy and France come from magazines of that time, the source that run the year-end each year is "Musica&Dischi" and Queen ended up at #1 on of 1991 and 1992 with that album. They also sold 400,000 units of Innuendo and 300,000 of Live At Wembey. The other certifications can be found on official sites and books. The only exception is Netherlands, where the album was certified in 1997 (for sales of 500,000), so I assumed 400,000 right until the end of 1992 given its big performance (13 weeks at the top of the charts and #1 selling album of the year). If you want to go by chart positions, you will notice that Greatest Hits 2 outdid Acthung Baby in most territories in Europe and ll of the other album you mention.

I'm just using facts as a basis for my numbers, and a few sales guesses none of which go against logic as you can see. Obviously, there is a margin for especulation but you did the same thing about U2 and the other acts, so I don't see why we have to stick at certifications or estrict sales for Queen while sales estimates are allowed for the others. It is obvious that Greatest Hits 2 outsold U2 in those based on a worldwide sales. The Irish group do obviously have big catalog sales, but so did Queen. In 1992, they placed three of their old albums in Pop catalog top 50 in USA (A Night At The Opera, News Of The World and Live Killers), apart from their big compilation sales. So it is like this, in my opinion, U2 the biggest draw, and Quen the biggest sellers on albums. If you only look at USA, you will believe that Queen were probably a marginal band, but the fact is that on a worldwide basis, they made a bigger global impact (in terms of album sales) than either Pearl Jam, Nirvana, or even Metallica and U2 outside North America.

Thank you for those Metallica figures. Are they shipments?. It is interesting.

They are shipments as of May 17, 1993. The Rest Of The World figure can actually be broken down into figures for 46 different countries. At that time Ecuador had the lowest sales of any of the countries in the list at 930 copies. Germany had the highest at 725,674 after Canada and the United States.

As for Queen Greatest Hits, I'll believe it when I view the information. I'm not saying your incorrect. As for total sales in the early 1990s, I think U2 takes this. For example just in the USA, Joshua Tree was certified for 5 million in sales at the end of 1988. By the fall of 1995, its sales had doubled to 10 million, most of that from sales in the early 1990s. Plus were only talking about the United States. Achtung Baby increased to 14 million worldwide by 1995. In the USA, War went from Platinum to 4 times platinum. Under A Blood Red Sky went from Platinum to 3 times Platinum in the USA, Unforgettable Fire went from Platinum to 3 times Platinum in the USA, Rattle And Hum went from 3 times platinum to 5 times platinum just in the USA.

U2 is one of the biggest album sellers of all time, and the majority of their album sales came in the period from March 1987 to December 1995.

Thank you gain for those Metallica figures.

I will try to give as many links as possible:

Uk:

BPI | Home

Germany

Bundesverband Musikindustrie: Gold/Platin-Datenbank

Switzerland

The Official Swiss Charts and Music Community

Austria

IFPI Austria - Verband der Österreichischen Musikwirtschaft

France (currently not working)

http://www.chartsinfrance.net/certifications/

Netherlands

NVPI, de branchevereniging van de entertainmentindustrie - Goud/Platina

Spain (taken from a book written by Fernando Salaberri, link to Ukmix)

UKMIX - Forums - Chart Analysis - Platinum Albums in Spain (1979-2006)

Finland

http://www.ifpi.fi/tilastot/kultajaplatina.html

Canada

Canadian Recording Industry Association (CRIA): Certification Results

Argentina

CAPIF - Representando a la Industria Argentina de la M?sica

Brazil

ABPD | Associa??o Brasileira de Produtores de Disco

In Italy, there is no official body, at least not available online. The only one that publishes sales figures each year is, as I said, Musica&Dischi. These numbers were then reproduced by Music and Media:

#1 : Malinconoia - Marco Masini : 830 000
On every Street - Dire Straits : 520 000
The Soul Cages - Sting : 500 000
Queen - Greatest Hits II : 500 000
Achtung baby - U2 : 450000
Dangerous - Michael jackson : 400 000
Innuendo - Queen : 400 000
Stars - Simply Red : 380 000
Out of time - REM : 380 000
Real Life - Simple Minds : 300 000

Luca Carboni - Carbone : 800 000
Zucchero - Miserere : 780 000
883 - Harmo Ucciso ... : 500 000
Amedeo Minghi - I ricordi du Cuore : 370 000
Elton John - The One : 370 000
Francesco de Gregori - Canzoni d'amore : 350 000
Queen - Live at Wembley 86 : 300 000
Lionel Ritchie - Back to Front : 300 000
Madonna - Erotica : 250 000
ABBA - Gold : 250 000

1991-1992
Antonello Venditi - Benvenutti in Paradiso : 1 000 000
Queen - Greatest Hits II : 1 000 000
Michael Jackson - Dangerous : 600 000
U2 - Achtung Baby : 550 000

Queen - Innuendo 400 000

As you can see, Queen sold 1,700,000 in Italy from just three titles. Greatest hits 2 is probably the best selling international album ever by now. Queen are big in Italy. Made in Heaven was certified 6 times platinum in 1996 (600,000 units) in early January, and was posted on billboard magazine. It was the best sellinga album of 1995 and 1996 8international). If I remember correctly, The Miracle sold 400,000 copies in 1989.

But well, take a look at the links above, and you will find those sales for Queen's Greatest Hits 2:

Uk: 2,100,000
Germany: 2,000,000
Italy: 1,000,000
France: 1,300,000
Spain: 500,000 (certified 5 times platinum in that same year, while the album charting; it peaked at #1 during 8 weeks)
Netherlands: 400,000 (#1 during during 13 weeks)
Sweden: 200,000 (#1 international album of the year)
Swizterland: 200,000
Austria: 125,000

And many more. As I said, Queen sold over 30 million copies worldwide between 1991, 1992 and the first part of 1993, and just counting 4 albums (not mentioning back catalog sales). In Europe, those 9 markets above are 82% of all sales in that continent.

I'm a fan, I know what I'm saying. Outside North America, Queen sold more albums and records than any other groups apart from the Beatles.

Back to the 'Single'

Lets hope the apparent success of the dance mixes of 'Magnificent' help both the single and the album.

As a side note, the more successful 'Magnificent' is as a single the better the song is likely to be live...as the audience will be more into it:D

Where is Magnificent on the aussie charts?

Hi guys

Just looked at the ARIA singles charts and I can't see Magnificent in the top 50 singles. Whats the go here? I haven't even heard the song on Triple M radio. Has it been released yet or is the song doing really badly.

Cheers

The IFPI started giving out Plat & Gold Euro awards for a few albums in Apr '91 & Queen's Greates Hits 2 was certified 4xP for sales of 4m on Feb 8th '92 - as was GH 1 5xp for 5m. GH 2 spent another 9 wks at the top of the Euro chart that year (out of a 12 wk total) & was the 20th best seller of '92 in UK with sales of about 400k...it probably sold another approx 2m in Europe that year, to give a Euro total of about 6m by end of '92. To date it's estimated to be one of the biggest selling European albums ever with sales of about 12m.

Btw, here's the Music & Media top 10 Euro albums of 1992 :

1. Queen - GH 2
2. Genesis - We Can't Dance
3. Michael Jackson - Dangerous
4. Simply Red - Stars
5. Nirvana - Nevermind
6. Guns N' Roses - Use Your Illusion 2
7. Lionel Richie - Back To Front
8. U2 - Achtung Baby
9. Elton John - The One
10. Queen - GH 1

33. Metallica - Metallica

That's based on chart runs on their top 100 chart from around Nov '91-Nov '92

Billboard seems to have a "format" for every type of song ever made. Anyway, here are this week's numbers for Magnificent:

Hot Singles Sales Chart
Magnificent debuts at #4

Triple A
#2 for the 11th straight week

Adult Top 40
#25 for the 2nd straight week

Hot Dance Singles SALES
Debuts at #2, right behind Black Eyed Peas and right above Beyonce

Hot Dance Club Play
Magnificent rises from 33 to 24 with the "POWER PICK" designation

Top 100 Hits Online
Magnificent up to 14 from 17

Europe Total Airplay
Magnifent down one spot to #14, but one spot ahead of Green Day's new single

Thank you for posting!

Achtung Baby was probably on about 3.5m copies sold in Europe by the end of '92 & about 5m now (incl. about 1.35m in UK).

Achtung Baby was probably on about 3.5m copies sold in Europe by the end of '92 & about 5m now (incl. about 1.35m in UK).

Yes, I agree.

Germany 500,000+
Italy 550,000
UK probably about 700,000
Netherlands 100,000+
Spain 100,000+
#1 in France and other territories.

Zoorpa sold very well in 1993.

I think that Queen's Greatest Hits II was more on over 9 million by the end of 1992 and early 1993.

UK 2,100,000
Germany 2,000,000
France 1,300,000 by March 1993 (certified diamond in 1992)
Italy 1,000,000
Spain 500,000
Sweden (best selling international album of 1992)
Switzerland 200,000
Austria 125,000
Netherlands 400,000+ (#1 during 13 weeks between the end of 1991 and 1992)
Finand best selling international album ever by now and 5 weeks #1

You can check the above information in the links I provided in my previous post. Those countries account, altogether, for as much as 82% of all sales in Europe and add up close to 8 million for the Queen title. Therefore, it should have been on 9,500,000 by then. By now, it is indeed on over 12,000,000 because of its catalog sales.

Even in small markets, it was a record breaker. In Hungary, the band received a especial award for the best selling abum ever; and according to a Billboard issue, from 1993, it had sold 60,000+ in Czech Republic.

But obviously, it achieved the biggest part of its popularity in Latin America. In Argentina, for example, Queen are amazingly popular. That album was the best selling English title of the decade, and was certified diamond in Oct 1999 for sales of 506,000 by then. Obviously, about 400,000 of them had been done by the end of 1992 and early 1993. In Brazil too, the album went double platinum in 1997 (500,000).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom