NLOTH Singles Chart Watch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The only thing that could have saved the album and the single is if they entered it for Eurovison and Ireland

Just look at Alexander Rybak the Norweigen guy who won, he is bigger than Jesus now

The only thing that could have saved the album and the single is if they entered it for Eurovison and Ireland

Just look at Alexander Rybak the Norweigen guy who won, he is bigger than Jesus now

What do you mean by saving the album? The album is doing just fine. Come December and most probably we will see it among the 10 biggest selling albums of the year, both worldwide and in the US.

It actually says a lot about U2 that the album can sell well WITHOUT a hit single. The music world is a different beast now and some artists do not need to live or die by the radio or the charts. U2 appears to be one of these artists.

This is so disheartening, the world could use an uplifting shot in the arm like Magnificent to suceed, and God knows the music industry could use something like that to be popular, it comes down to people swallowing crap and Paul McGuinness totally dropping the ball on what he's so good at... moneygrubbing.

:(

thats funny because i was just thinking the other day how if the band would have just released what they had back in November the album would probably have giant sales and be considered a "huge success" or whatever. Maybe then they would have used a different lead single as well, who knows, but the point being their march releases over the last 20 years haven't exactly fared well now have they? Or is it all just perception?

Maybe they have been reading all of the bitching that goes on in here with the last few Nov releases, as well as the bitching that went on when they were initially going to release NLOTH in Nov of last year. Maybe thats why they decided to delay it a bit? Or not...either way....for them it's almost "damned if they do and damned if they don't" this time around.

The sad thing is, this album NLOTH is one of the best ones they have put out in a really long time. Easily better than the last two that so many of us bitched about (including me). And this is the reception they get? I guess you can't blame them for "playing it safe" sometimes, like with ATYCLB or HTDAAB. Or maybe they really don't give a fuck anymore and just want to make good music (though how do you explain GOYB? :hmm: )

I've done my part, ive bought two versions of this album, and ive got 4 tickets (for now anyway) for the tour. I hope they at least get a hit single off of this thing, but if Magnificent can't do it then fuck "popular" music. It's 99% crap anyway, and most people that listen to this mainstream crap are fucking morons who probably don't deserve to listen to decent music anyway, let them suffer in their own stupidity.

NOT such a beautiful day for seasoned rockers U2 - their latest single has become the lads' biggest flop in TWO DECADES . . . it didn't even make the Top 40!

Despite being the standout track on their new album, Magnificent had a chart performance that was anything but (sorry BONO).

It only managed to limp in to No 42 thanks to its paltry 5,157 copies being sold and downloaded.

I don't mean to sound dramatic, folks, but that's a commercial disaster of epic proportions that would send lesser bands to the scrapheap.

The tune becomes their lowest single in 22 years, since God's Country hit number 48 in 1987. Sadly, for Bono and THE EDGE, new album No Line On The Horizon did no better - it was their worst-selling in the band's long history.

Bet Bono wishes he could hide Where The Streets Have No Name.

from The News Of The World

They've always been anti-U2 ever since Bono called 'em out in the lyrics to Last Night on Earth :wink:

I've done my part, ive bought two versions of this album, and ive got 4 tickets (for now anyway) for the tour. I hope they at least get a hit single off of this thing, but if Magnificent can't do it then fuck "popular" music. It's 99% crap anyway, and most people that listen to this mainstream crap are fucking morons who probably don't deserve to listen to decent music anyway, let them suffer in their own stupidity.

I understand your point, but as an optimist (usually anyway :wink:) and an advocate of music as art, an artist myself, and an educator, I wish something could wake people up, and how great it would have been if this was the song to do it.

I don't know what's going on but I have never had a problem seeing a new U2 video on VH1 or MTV. Granted I don't watch MTV, at all, any longer but someone (BVS) said he's seen the video on MTV early in the mornings.
I've yet to see it premier on VH1, even. I also don't know why they aren't promoting it other that the fact that all the promotion will happen when they come to the US in the fall? I don't know.. this is a first for me.
This is a really good album and I don't think they misjudged what will be a hit, but maybe they should release something else and quick. I don't need anyone to verify what I like, mind you, I'm just saying, 've not seen this with any other U2 single.
Even Boots was on VH1 but I've yet to see Magnificent on anything.
I think Principal management is scrambling along with the rest of the industry to get their product out. things are so different these days.

Edited to say: VH1 & MTV are is not the be all and end all of music. But I've always seen new U2 videos on one of them.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news...

But Magnificent is now officially declining in plays on the Hot AC radio format in the US. It could rebound later but it appears it's reached at least a temporary peak and is starting to drop.

I'll Go Crazy if I Don't Go Crazy Tonight is the most radio friendly song on this album -- period. Every person I've played it for agrees. If it's not the third single, the band will need to have their heads examined. I don't think it's the best song on the album, but it's most ready for radio.

Singles should have been:

No Line on the Horizon - released in January
Crazy Tonight - released with debut of NLOTH the album
Magnificent - released with the start of the tour
Breathe - released late summer when the tour hits the USA

Im only speculating here, as these releases would have made sense to me at least. Those four songs might have done better commercially. Then again i like Unknown Caller probably as well as any of those songs.

Im sort of optimistic myself, so i guess there is still a chance that this music reaches the masses. Maybe it can and will as the year wears on, certainly there are people who haven't heard or bought the new album that will go to the concert and go WOW WTF! THIS IS GREAT! And then they rush out and buy/download a big part of u2's back catalog. Maybe as the tour dates get close local radio will begin to take a huge rish and play new u2 songs here and there between Lady Ga Garbage and David Douchebag, Pink Bitch and All American Retards. Etc.

Im optimistic too :sexywink:

And if not, then like i said before, fuck it. At least we have this band for ourselves. I occasionally hear new U2 on XM, which to me is relevant, and thats enough. Local radio can go fuck itself.

:D

I think that the band should've released two singles simultaneously both as lead-singles: one more commercially appealing that would be aired on the radios and televisions and would appeal to the physical market (maybe GOYB) and then another less predictable and that would appeal to the web-public and to the digital market (maybe NLOTH or Fez or even, more unpredictable, WAS or UC).
Then, they could release all the Magnificents, CT's or Breathe's (or any other song) as a single that it would probably be sucessful.

I agree with this :up:

With maybe a 5th release of MOS to ambitious markets or mediums... if those still exist.

New life for Magnificent in the U.S.???

Magnificent debuts as the "Hot shot debut/Airpower" song on Billboard's Hot Dance Club Top 50 at #33...and it was #55 last week. Maybe it will take on new life in the clubs and perhaps the song itself will resume increases in plays on more formats, and it already has on Adult Rock Top 40.

New life for Magnificent in the U.S.???

Magnificent debuts as the "Hot shot debut/Airpower" song on Billboard's Hot Dance Club Top 50 at #33...and it was #55 last week. Maybe it will take on new life in the clubs and perhaps the song itself will resume increases in plays on more formats, and it already has on Adult Rock Top 40.

It looks like the Remixes EP is really going to happen, so perhaps this strategy actually has a chance - Build momentum in the Dance chart for a few weeks and then drop a Remixes EP on the market...

Magnificent (X10) (Rmxs) - CD - U2

Credit the video and the remixes for helping Magnificent rise from 24 to 17 on the Top 100 Hits online chart (Billboard's "hit's of the web"). It had been gaining until last week, when it fell from 21 to 24. With radio taste being awful, at least Magnificent is the 17th most streamed song (or video) on the web in the U.S., and who knows how big that market really is compared to radio. I personally never listen to the radio, and neither does my 10 year old daughter (who love's NLOTH). She does stream something from NLOTH every day, however.

Billboard May 30 edition: Magnificent spends another week at #13 on the "Top Radio Airplay Singles in Europe" chart. It did debut on Hungary's Singles chart at #5, but has slipped from it's debut of 35 to 51 on the Eurochart Hot 100 Singles. Sales are obviously not there for this song...but it appears to be doing it's job in helping the album maintain sales, at least in Europe. It has now been in the Top 15 in Europe, for radio play, for 5 weeks now.

The remix EP is just around the corner in the U.S., so we'll see if that generates anything.

On the "other", self-proclaimed worldwide chart, Magnificent rises to #33 in the World Top 100 in it's 3rd week on the chart.

http://www.musicharts.net/index.php?cat=charts&chid=0

Magnificent debuts at #33 on the France Top 100 Singles chart. Boots is at 47 on the same chart after 3 months.

Im only speculating here, as these releases would have made sense to me at least. Those four songs might have done better commercially. Then again i like Unknown Caller probably as well as any of those songs.

:D

I'm fairly confident this line up of single releases would have done worse in the charts than the present. No Line, while my current favorite song on the album, doesn't seem to be winning any polls for best song even among the U2 fans. I think the band would have gotten more critical praise for the song/album than GOYB, but it doesn't translate very well to the current radio formats and lacks the pop hooks that normally propel songs up the charts. In fact, I don't think this song should even be a single at all, not even in the same vein as The Fly.

But in retrospect, Get On Your Boots maybe wasn't the best choice for a lead off single even though it's (debatably) the most pop and catchy of the album. It suffers from the problem of being too closely akin to Vertigo. I personally don't hear it, but I've read numerous posts on here, newspaper reviews, and friends accounts (small sample) that relate the two together. Since Vertigo was arguably their last major hit, that's what most lay people will be comparing the new single with. Crazy Tonight also suffers from the same problem as Vertigo, it's undoubtedly a great, classic, stock U2 song, but not the best for a lead off single when the band is trying something new to differentiate from the last two albums. But as mentioned by other people, Crazy Tonight will make a great 3rd single hit on triple A and HOT AC charts to steady album sales. I'm hoping for a Walk On type success with that song.

Magnificent probably should have been the lead off single for the album with some GOOD remixes. Not the *mostly* crap ones that were put together.

GOYB would have been a great second single for the summer. I think the song would have translated better to this time period (much like elevation). I just feel summer in both those songs. It too has an amazing potential for a dance/trance remix utilizing the "you don't know/how beautiful you are" portion of the track. A remix with that could have fared much better in clubs than the lame Justice and DJ Amerigo mixes we got. And this is coming from someone who usually listens to the remixes.

In the end, I really do hope U2 get one major single off this album as it's by far their best album of the decade and deserves one. I love to share U2 music, and it's a great feeling when everyone knows and loves a song you love too. People know Vertigo and Beautiful day, and they know them well. Look at the reaction of the crowd on Letterman and Fordham University when Beautiful Day and Vertigo are played. The people are crazy for it! The fact that U2 can play songs that are popular from the 2000s is a very powerful tool that keeps them TIME RELEVANT. They don't need to keep reverting back to Joshua Tree songs to get crowds going. This keeps them very relevant and really builds up the U2 name. DoctorWho pointed out that U2 is selling out STADIUMS without a hit song from this album. I'm not so sure this would be possible without the smash hits of Beautiful Day and Vertigo.

I've followed this thread since it's inception (never posting, only reading :hmm: ) But thanks to all those who post here... DoctorWho, beLIEve, popmartin, and all the others! :wave:

Magnificent was added to 8 more Adult Top 40 stations yesterday. While the song stays at #25 on the chart, this is key to getting it to resume it's rise up, which had stalled/peaked at #23. This has been the pattern for Magnificent all along, though, and I think the remixes EP release, and the fact that it's getting played in the U.S. Dance Clubs, has helped get the song at least a chance to still break through.

Just three weeks ago, the song was at #23 and had "peaked" with 59 stations playing it, and within days, that dropped to 52 and the drop off started quickly. It gained back to 62 stations the week of the single's "release", mostly a non-event, but had dropped back off to 54 just 2 days ago and as a result lost spins and 3 positions.

So, the cycle seems to have repeated once more, and to make it really move up this chart, more station adds need to continue, fewer/no drops would also be nice, and some increase in rotation...perhaps even the single edit of one of the good remixes, which has already showed up on a few playlists on the "Rythmic" format.

I admit I've taken more interest in this song's charting than most, perhaps because I do like it and disagree with the idea that it's a "flop", as it is getting airplay worldwide and for those who hear it, many, if not most, like it. It is not going to be a download success, except maybe for the remixes EP. That may be counted as album sales as well. It's airplay that this song needs, and it is getting it, albeit less than I would have liked to see. I'm still holding out that it can resume it's rise on Adult Top 40, keep rising on the Dance Club Charts, and ultimately, "cross over" here in the U.S. On the traditional U2 formats, it's done well. A download flop, yes, but airplay?

Adult Rock/Triple A
10 week run on mediabase airplay chart of 1-1-1-1-1-2-1-2-2-2

Rock
Peaked at #8

Alternative
Peaked at #18

Active Rock
Peaked at #28

Top 40 - Adult
Peaked at #23

Billboard Hot 100
Peaked at #79

Hot Dance Club Airplay
Debuted at #33 last week

Europe Top Airplay Chart
Current run is 24-15-15-13-13-13

Eurochart Top 100 Singles
Peaked at #35

World Top 100 Singles
Current run is 96-84-33

I went to Vegas for a short trip right before Memorial Day. I'm in the airport and I hear "Moment of Surrender"! That was a trip!

Then, in the hotel (Treasure Island), I keep hearing "Magnificent". It's being played along with all the other "Top 40" type of hits.

So it seems the song or album is getting exposure, even if in different formats.

I saw the Magnificent video 3 times on Dutch/International TV in 2 days, over 2 different music channels (MTV Brand New and VH1).

It seems that Online chart would be more relevant anyway, people consume a lot more music on the internet nowadays than on the radio.

Back
Top Bottom