NFL 2007 Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The noise thing is pretty obvious, but honestly, who gives a damn?

You Patriots fans are pathetic. When people get on your team for stealing defensive signals, you cry like little babies and say they're exaggerating. To "get back at them" you turn around and accuse another team of elevating their crowd noise, only to cry about "unfairness" when people don't put it on the same level of your team's own infractions. All the while, your team is 9-0. Go crawl back under the shady part of the refrigerator until you have your 4th SB victory. Gag.

MSNBC News Services
updated 9 minutes ago

The NFL is investigating charges that the Indianapolis Colts piped in noise during their defeat Sunday to the New England Patriots, Yahoo! Sports is reporting.

Patriots President Jonathan Kraft is the latest to accuse the Colts of artificially adding excessive noise to distract their opponent, Yahoo! reported.

"We're aware of it and we're looking into it," NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said Monday. "It may just be the TV feed from CBS, but we're checking it out."

Patriots quarterback Tom Brady, who led his team to a 24-20 victory with a rally in the fourth quarter, said, "I don't know how you measure levels of being deaf, but we couldn't hear anything out there."

The Colts have been accused before by piping in noise to keep opposing teams' quarterbacks from being able to communicate plays to teammates, Yahoo! said.

"We're aware of the accusations, but there has never been anything to substantiate it," Aiello said.

Again, EVERY dome team has been accused of this when they were good (Vikings run in the late 90s for example).

zoney! said:

Hey....I have some nice swamp land in Florida if you would like!

and, while you are at it (putting all of your faith on a television clip), are you also going to tell me that aliens shot JFK and that Santa Claus truly exists?

Again, it sounds as if there is a CBS error on the broadcast. The mik for the crowd has reverb and the production truck shuts it off.

The crowd is loud as the ball is snapped, and then suddenly it dies down after a completion from the opposing team. Uncommon? NO. But if it truly was an issue, someone from the game would have stated they heard a sound that mimics a skipping CD or reverb.

The stadium is pretty damn loud...you do not need "noise pumped in" - and nothing kills that noise better than a completion to start out the fourth quarter that is a first down AND a drive into the hometown team's end of the field.

I have a lot of respect for you guys normally....but this is making you guys look like roof-inventing kitties.

Please dispense with the ad-hominems and stick to the subject.

It is very difficult to hold a conversation with the guy next to you if the crowd is loud, so it is very plausible that people at the game would notice only the variation in volume levels and not the specific sound of a mp3 crashing if that is indeed what happened (FWIW, this story mentions unnamed observers at the game who noticed exactly that).

And as far as I can tell, most of the outrage here is not specifically about the artificial noise, but the double standard that seems to be applied to the Patriots vs. the rest of the league regarding such shenanigans.

Last edited:
speedracer said:

And as far as I can tell, most of the outrage here is not specifically about the artificial noise, but the double standard that seems to be applied to the Patriots vs. the rest of the league regarding such shenanigans.

B-I-N-G-O

I honestly don't care all that much if the Colts do "enhance" their crowd noise. I've always been of the mindset that if you're not cheating, you're not trying...and it's only cheating if you get caught.

But when Tony Dungy is saying stuff like this about the Pats:

"I feel bad for young people that have looked at this organization and said, 'Hey, these are people who won three Super Bowls. That's what I want to be like.'"

http://www.andovertownsman.com/cnhins/prosports/cnhinsprosports_story_260095501.html

Then he'd better not break any rules himself. And trivial as it might appear to some, the artificial crowd noise is against the rules. Maybe they don't do it, and if it's proven otherwise then fine...but that's why it's a big deal.

Last edited:
LemonMelon said:
The noise thing is pretty obvious, but honestly, who gives a damn?

You Patriots fans are pathetic. When people get on your team for stealing defensive signals, you cry like little babies and say they're exaggerating. To "get back at them" you turn around and accuse another team of elevating their crowd noise, only to cry about "unfairness" when people don't put it on the same level of your team's own infractions. All the while, your team is 9-0. Go crawl back under the shady part of the refrigerator until you have your 4th SB victory. Gag.

:bow:

Sometimes, I wish this forum let us give "rep points" to posters like other places do.

Meanwhile, I'm sure the whining will continue...:|

ETA: I see this place is already getting on with it. :happy:

speedracer said:

Please dispense with the ad-hominems and stick to the subject.

It is very difficult to hold a conversation with the guy next to you if the crowd is loud, so it is very plausible that people at the game would notice only the variation in volume levels and not the specific sound of a mp3 crashing if that is indeed what happened (FWIW, this story mentions unnamed observers at the game who noticed exactly that).

Refrain from ad-hominems? Why? Because someone is arguing against you?

Un-named sources mentioning EXACTLY that? Are we reading the same story?

Two articles stating they are investigating...and they should investigate the complaint.

Who is complaining....fans of a team who got caught cheating. The cheating has not truly helped or hurt them this season. That is the thing. Just shut the help up and enjoy a team that may go undefeated! Stop the bitching and crying and enjoy the moment.

DaveC said:

:bow:

Sometimes, I wish this forum let us give "rep points" to posters like other places do.

Meanwhile, I'm sure the whining will continue...:|

Dave, nobody's whining. How can one whine when one's team won? Is it possible to discuss a game without being accused of whining? It's not like I'm sitting at my desk with a tinfoil helmet on my head spouting conspiracy theories. This all started when everybody wanted to smear my team with the "cheater" label. And all Pats fans said was it's no more than the rest of the league does. And now that stuff that another team does is coming to light I'm happy...because everybody can get off the high horse and admit that everybody bends rules to gain an edge, and the stupid Belicheat shit can be put to bed and we can get back to talking football.

CTU2fan said:

Dave, nobody's whining. How can one whine when one's team won?

I was wondering the same myself before today.

Is it possible to discuss a game without being accused of whining?

Sure, let's talk about the comeback, about the bad officiating. But talking about crowd noise is not "discussing the game", so yeah, it's whining.

This all started when everybody wanted to smear my team with the "cheater" label. And all Pats fans said was it's no more than the rest of the league does. And now that stuff that another team does is coming to light I'm happy...because everybody can get off the high horse and admit that everybody bends rules to gain an edge, and the stupid Belicheat shit can be put to bed and we can get back to talking football.

So now Pats fans want to smear the Colts with the "cheater" label too to make what your team did look a little less heinous, based on sketchy evidence that may or may not have been a result of the TV broadcast feed. Classy :up:

Notice how not a single person who was actually verifiably at the game ("un-named sources" mean jack shit), has claimed to have heard the same thing that came through the CBS feed. :hmm:

randhail said:
Since when is pointing out hypocrisy considered to be whining?

Imagined hypocrisy based on positive media perception is not the same thing as actual hypocrisy. Dungy and Co. never claimed to be saints. They just haven't been stealing defensive signals. Maybe that just stings you a little bit. :wink:

So what constitutes "proof"? Are we waiting on the Colts saying "Yeah, we did it"? Because I'm not holding my breath.

How many times do I have to say it? I DON'T REALLY CARE IF THE COLTS "ENHANCED" THIER CROWD NOISE. But IF they did, it needs to be looked at just as Mangenius' rat-bastard claims were. It looks like it is being looked into. If it's found they were doing it, the mediots need to condemn it as they did the Pats.

I hate the Cowboys and Romo, but this was absolutely hilarious:

romorcopy1wg4.gif

:lol:

LemonMelon said:

romorcopy1wg4.gif

What's the deal with Romo & the refs? Wasn't there a chest-bump or something earlier? I think he's kind of funny actually, he seems to have fun playing which is cool...

CTU2fan said:
So what constitutes "proof"? Are we waiting on the Colts saying "Yeah, we did it"? Because I'm not holding my breath.

How many times do I have to say it? I DON'T REALLY CARE IF THE COLTS "ENHANCED" THIER CROWD NOISE. But IF they did, it needs to be looked at just as Mangenius' rat-bastard claims were. It looks like it is being looked into. If it's found they were doing it, the mediots need to condemn it as they did the Pats.

Where did I say proof was necessary? All I said is that nobody at the game heard anything fishy (not even any Pats fans have come forward), and you're making an assumption on something that could very well have been a problem with the TV mics. Not saying the Colts are innocent (I really don't care either way myself), but you're really all jumping to conclutsions and labeling the Colts as equal cheaters as the Patriots.

Which they aren't. Knowing the EXACT play that the other team is going to run is much MUCH more of an advantage than blasting in extra noise to try to obscure audibles and snap counts.

So no, this is nowhere near on the level of the Patriots' cheating, even if it is found that the Colts are guilty.

DaveC said:

Which they aren't. Knowing the EXACT play that the other team is going to run is much MUCH more of an advantage than blasting in extra noise to try to obscure audibles and snap counts.

So no, this is nowhere near on the level of the Patriots' cheating, even if it is found that the Colts are guilty.

Agreed. Not all cheating is the same. There is a difference between spiking the opponent's gatorade with psychoactive drugs and chop blocking.

DaveC said:

Sure, let's talk about the bad officiating.
C'mon...if anyone here who is a Pats fan makes mention of the officiating, you'll be the first to claim that person is whining.
(Thats true hypocrisy :wink: )

Hewson said:
C'mon...if anyone here who is a Pats fan makes mention of the officiating, you'll be the first to claim that person is whining.
(Thats true hypocrisy :wink: )

Thanks for making assumptions about my character! :happy:

DaveC said:

That would be a hell of a funny game to watch, though :laugh:

The 2006 Skins looked like they had a mickey slipped into their collective martini before every game. :slant: Not the same thing, but you know...

DaveC said:

Where did I say proof was necessary? All I said is that nobody at the game heard anything fishy (not even any Pats fans have come forward), .
Incorrect. Jonathan Kraft, who was at the game, mentioned it to the NFL official on site right after the game.
So there is some legitimacy to the story...but in the end all that'll happen if there's any irregularities found will be a warning/cease and desist type order.

Let's just hope Belichick doesn't secretly read these forums. If so, I guarantee he's looking for a 10-sheet acid deal right about now. :wink:

Hewson said:
Incorrect. Jonathan Kraft, who was at the game, mentioned it to the NFL official on site right after the game.
So there is some legitimacy to the story...but in the end all that'll happen if there's any irregularities found will be a warning/cease and desist type order.

Yeah, the owner's son, president and COO of the ownership group couldn't possibly have any ulterior motives :rolleyes:

LemonMelon said:

romorcopy1wg4.gif

I saw that, and have got to figure the fans at the Linc could not have been terribly amused. Tony better watch out if Philly ever becomes good again.

Hewson said:
Its based on past behavior, with a scientific relevency of 98.54%, so its not much of a leap.:wink:

Normally I'd respond to this, but I won't bother stooping to veiled personal attacks to bring myself to your level. :up:

DaveC said:

Yeah, the owner's son, president and COO of the ownership group couldn't possibly have any ulterior motives :rolleyes:
So then we must also discredit Eric Mangini's actions against the Pats in week 1, no?

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

CBS TAKES BLAME FOR SOUND GLITCH

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that CBS has taken responsibility for the bizarre sound glitch that has prompted speculation that the Colts were caught red-handed in the act of piping phony crowd noise into the RCA Dome.

Per Schefter, the vibrating sound as the Pats were driving at the start of the fourth quarter was the result of tape feedback in the CBS production truck. Schefter says that the sound could not be heard in the stadium.

We've spoken to some radio folks who also believe that the phenomenon was not the result of a glitch during the use of artificial crowd noise.

Oh well. Controversy is a lot juicier. But even when the truth isn't sexy, we've still got to respect it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom