New album in the works while in NZ and Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Or, ideally, they'll stop worrying about the markets and just make some good, interesting music again instead of trying to make pop hits.

That would be ideal, but i don't think they're gonna do that... the recent comments by Bono and Paul McGuiness suggest they're fixated on making the next album full of hits. So they'll be focused on pandering to teenagers more than ever :-(
I just hope they do a good job of it.

If they were pandering to teenagers, they'd be doing duets with Justin Bieber and Kesha.

I think we have different interpretations of what Bono means when he says stuff like that.

People worry too much.

No, I wouldn't be stunned. I'd be mildly dismayed and secretly excited anyway because I'd still be all "ooh, it's Bono!" and then hope it wouldn't be too cringe-inducing.

And then I'd enjoy bitching about it later.

Sure there will be Hype, it's the biggest band in the world releasing a new album produced with one of the hottest producers of the last half decade or so. Hopefully they know to not do the overkill this time. Taking over BBC the way they did? Taking over Letterman for an entire week? It was too much.

Next time, they should just keep it to an SNL performance, hit Conan or somebody's show around the time of release, but only once, and maybe a few songs on the Today Show. Basically, just what any other big band does. As said above, if it's any good, it'll promote itself.

Also, if they're really trying to promote this album to teenagers, they're wasting their time playing on tv. Kids don't watch tv anymore, everything they absorb is from the internet.

Or maybe they don't need to do all that...because they will be on tour. In America. The music will promote itself.

So what do you think it was that made them shut up about 'the quick follow up' when they started working with DM
Good question. I'm guessing they realised NLOTH, despite it being a very good album, didn't have the magic Eno and Lanois usually bring on, and thus passed - for now - on SOA. But more importantly, it seems they hit on something good - and more fast than the last 4 albums - with DM. Another thing is NLOTH lacked a single which will hopefully be rectified this time.

It doesn't have to mean making teen market music (as if teens would willingly listen to a pack of 50+ year old whiteys) or ZOMG Bono performing with the BEP.

New Album News!

newalbum.jpg

If they were pandering to teenagers, they'd be doing duets with Justin Bieber and Kesha.

I think we have different interpretations of what Bono means when he says stuff like that.

People worry too much.

Well, i think releasing GOYB as a lead single was pandering to teenagers, considering they had tracks like moment of Surrender and No Line which were beautiful and better represented the album.

We may have different interpretations, but don't worry - i'm always excited when u2 bring out new stuff. Hell, i'd be excited at the prospect of a will.i.am produced album, simply because it would be such a departure.

I don't think Bono saying they want to make hits is necessarily a bad thing, all it means is they want to make a decent, catchy tune, so i'm not worried that they have that as a priority. I just hope it doesn't lead to another NLOTH situation, where we get a GOYB-type song as a lead single, and have an 'Every breaking Wave' replaced by a 'Stand up Comedy'.

But now that i think about it, i think GOYB is the soundtrack of u2 creating a great, experimental album, then panicking and shoving something out into the public that is more radio friendly. It's the result of not having a clear focus. They have that clear focus now, and since they want hits, we'll be getting tunes more like Beautiful day or One (i.e. Badass), but with a whole new unique twist if produced by Danger Mouse or Will.i.am.

When every breaking wave is on the alleged new album can we stop talking about songs of ascent as a thing and rather what it really was, an idea that never came to fruition?

I think we can agree on that already. It's a dead/(at the very least) shelved idea... as far as we know it's been forgotten, or it's songs may have been redeveloped by DM or Will.i.am...
But until u2 get back with Eno and Lanois and release something called 'Songs of Ascent', yeah, it's just album is just an idea that never saw the light of day.

U2 have gotten so big and have been around for such a long time that sometimes I get the impression that they think they can make music as slowly as they want and then rework it over and over again and everyone will just wait patiently for the geniuses to finish their next masterpiece and everything will be wonderful. With albums so far apart, they have to invest a lot in the success of each one. If it doesn't do really well, then they've got nothing to float on. It's like the Titanic not having very many lifeboats because nobody thought it would sink. That's why U2 need to stop screwing around and get it together or people will forget about those old Irish guys that used to be cool until they got so perfectionistic that they destroyed themselves.

Can you tell that I'm feeling frustrated right now?

U2 have gotten so big and have been around for such a long time that sometimes I get the impression that they think they can make music as slowly as they want and then rework it over and over again and everyone will just wait patiently for the geniuses to finish their next masterpiece and everything will be wonderful. With albums so far apart, they have to invest a lot in the success of each one. If it doesn't do really well, then they've got nothing to float on. It's like the Titanic not having very many lifeboats because nobody thought it would sink. That's why U2 need to stop screwing around and get it together or people will forget about those old Irish guys that used to be cool until they got so perfectionistic that they destroyed themselves.

Can you tell that I'm feeling frustrated right now?

:D
I think you raise a good point - considering how eager they are to stay in the mainstream, have hits and appeal to a wide (young) audience, it seems oddly self-indulgent to take as long as they do to put out albums. They really might run the risk of becoming irrelevant, not just because of their age, but because of how long they disappear for in between albums.

if you consider relevancy as being relevant to a large, worldwide fan base, while being highly influential to current and future musical acts... then u2 is very relevant and will continue to be so.

if you consider relevancy as being hip and cool with the kids, u2 are not relevant now, let alone in the future.

if you consider relevancy as being relevant to a large, worldwide fan base, while being highly influential to current and future musical acts... then u2 is very relevant and will continue to be so.

if you consider relevancy as being hip and cool with the kids, u2 are not relevant now, let alone in the future.

While i don't personally care if u2 is 'hip' or particularly relevant to kids (i'd much rather they focus on making music, and lots of it) i think they are bigger and more hip than we give them credit for, and i think it's odd that, considering how much they declare they want to become even more relevant, they hardly seem to try.

In real news, i saw this over at @atu2:
Cee Lo says Danger Mouse is wrapping up U2 project

Danger Mouse is 'wrapping up his project with u2' - Cee lo Green, in the Wall street journal.
Sounds like good news indeed... in fact, it actually sounds a step towards a release compared with what Paul McGuinness said about 'the album needing some polishing' :hmm:

:hyper:

That's about as much news as we're gonna get, so I'll obsess over it until I get bored.

When every breaking wave is on the alleged new album can we stop talking about songs of ascent as a thing and rather what it really was, an idea that never came to fruition?

Even if any of it gets reworked into future projects, the rest will show up some day on a NLOTH rerelease, or a box set. Why they couldnt just be bold and release something quickly instead of The Next Big U2 record is beyond me. But whatever, if we get an album this year I can stop complaining, a bit.

Danger Mouse is 'wrapping up his project with u2' - Cee lo Green, in the Wall street journal.
Sounds like good news indeed... in fact, it actually sounds a step towards a release compared with what Paul McGuinness said about 'the album needing some polishing' :hmm:
Well, ain't that some shit.

I LOVE YOU CEE-LO :hyper::hi5::D:dance:
EDIT: Waaaaaaaaaaait a minute...the article says that Cee-Lo has been "brainstorming new projects with Danger Mouse."
:ohmy:
...Do I dare hope for a new Gnarls Barkley album? Do I dare?

This has me giddy for the obvious, YAY NEW U2 reason but also for the fact that they are sticking with Danger Mouse! :hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper:

This has me giddy for the obvious, YAY NEW U2 reason but also for the fact that they are sticking with Danger Mouse! :hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper:

Good point! I had become worried that u2 would freak out like they did with Rick Rubin and cut the Danger Mouse project at the last minute to work with Will.i.am... i think it turns out i was right when i guessed there was no substantial evidence a Will.i.am produced album was next.
The general silence had me worried there was just no progress, but what Cee Lo Green says suggests U2 are doing something sneaky... a covert sting operation to release an album right under our noses! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom