New Album Discussion: Electric Lady Studios

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The biggest potential fly in the ointment is if a record mogul whom they respect (like Iovine) pours cold water over the material. "Baw-no, I've gotta be honest here and say...well, I love how it sounds bold and different an' all...but I just don't think these songs are going to get played on the radio the way they are now. Pitchfork will give a nice review, but you're looking at it selling 3m and nobody who isn't already a U2 fan giving two shits. Maybe you should go back to the studio and..." :angry:

Weren't they supposedly recording for quite awhile at Julian Lennon's studio?

I'm not sure if it was quite a while in terms of period of recording..but it was certainly quite a while ago! I think summer of 2010.

"Lennon says U2 approached him earlier this summer looking for a studio to finish some tracks."

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...otos-of-u2-kate-hudson-20100917#ixzz2Vj1wH6Rj

If they were actually finishing tracks there..which tracks were these? Hard to imagine these being tracks that are surviving on into this new album..maybe, I guess.

Or maybe part of the bundle that they thought they had finished but then decided against? (According to..Adam?)

Seems like U2 have about 30 songs at least, spread over at least 3 different projects. Pretty sure we'll only hear 11 this year though. I miss getting B-sides.

I'm sitting at Starbucks while the wife and kids nap at the Disney resort listening to U2 and I have a few clumsy observations about the band and the new release :

1. Have faith in U2. Are they not the baddest motherf@cking band in the history of music? Uh yes. These are the same guys who wrote such iconic songs. Can you imagine how amazing it must be to witness them making music? There will always be clunkers from time to time. Rather than the negativity I'm going to bet the band blows us totally the fuck away.
2. Lets let Edge be the fucking Edge. There is 60 odd years of guitar based rock out there. Hard to find new sounds. Give us some fucking chimes over some amazing ambience and I'm happy.
3. Maybe only wish B would tone his voice down and not always go high. You music experts know the terminology I'm sure but I don't. Maybe even MOS could have started a little laid back. I'm not referring to his "speak-singing" but his laid back stuff like on WOWY, RTSS, or WGRYWH.

Prediction: album out this year completely kicks ass and the press and everyone else go apeshit that a band at this stage can still take over the world

world.

That "joke" didn't even make any sense anyway.

Hello, the world is not male. The phrase "Mother Earth" ring a bell?

I'm not sure if it was quite a while in terms of period of recording..but it was certainly quite a while ago! I think summer of 2010.

"Lennon says U2 approached him earlier this summer looking for a studio to finish some tracks."

Julian Lennon on His 'Timeless' Photo Exhibition | Music News | Rolling Stone

If they were actually finishing tracks there..which tracks were these? Hard to imagine these being tracks that are surviving on into this new album..maybe, I guess.

Or maybe part of the bundle that they thought they had finished but then decided against? (According to..Adam?)

Yes, I should have said they recorded for a while, quite a while ago... Anyway, that was evidence of recording happening, which another poster was looking for.

However the part about Julian saying that U2 wanted to use his photos for their new album was much more recent, Dec. 2012.

Julian Lennon on U2's The Edge and Art Basel: "Cakes and Sex? I'm Up For It" - Miami - Arts - Cultist - Page 2

"I've talked to the U2 boys to ask when I can release all of these," he said. "I'd very much like to put a book together but they've asked me to hold back. They're considering using the images for their artwork on the new album. It should be out mid to late next year."

Just some random facts! :D

I know! Are you people seriously that pessimistic? If they haven't recorded yet, then there probably won't be an album this year! :huh:

Yeah.. That would be exactly what I'm saying. Where's the loads of proof that they've recorded anything like we usually get with each album? Leaked beach clips, photos of them in the studio, u2.com studio teasers. Did you guys all forget the processes leading up to HTDAAB and NLOTH. I'm not being pessimistic. I'm just questioning the "sources" that wrote about them being in the mixing phase as opposed to being in the recording phase. No one credible has said anything about them mixing. The only thing we know for sure is they were with Danger Mouse in New York.

Beach clips or it didn't happen.

I honestly think that U2 have been going out of their way to make things different than they were for No Line.

I don't come in here that often and don't really perk up until a release date is announced...but reading the last few pages leaves me a tad confused. Why would a leak of beach clips, or something akin to that, be more reassuring than Daniel Lanois and Chris Blackwell tweeting or mentioning that U2 played their new album for them? I mean, what do you think was played for them, rough demos? I don't know what's been mixed, or not mixed, or how long mixing takes...but if those two had a new album played for them, that's kinda good news, at least in my mind.

I'd like to believe that they are done with the recording. Just because we haven't heard snippets, beach clips, seen much pictures doesn't mean that they have not recorded anything. Keep in mind, they probably have TONS of left over, think SOA + all the new songs they played on the 360 tour. While I don't think any of these songs would show up on the new album as they were 3 years ago, they already had a pretty good platform to which they could work off of. Also, while I personally liked the snippets that they kept giving us during the recording of NLOTH, I think it was a mistake to do that because many of those songs or snippets turned out much differently on the album then what we expected. This in some ways led to disappointment, not to mention all the hype they did for the album IE being a big re-invention etc etc. So it wouldn't be hard to imagine that they learned a lot from these mistakes and are keeping the album, recording sessions quite secret. I think with the amount of material they had from before and the fact that they are trying a totally different approach this time since last time it didn't work, it is totally possible that they already have the album fully recorded while none of us really saw anything.

Someday when they retire and open the archives we'll hear what NLOTH/SOA was supposed to be in full, and that will be a glorious day.

Now, as to those wondering why we didn't get a big long recording session prior to this mixing talk, it seems like they had the bulk of an album produced with DM they were tempted to prep for release in mid 2011, seems the bulk of the brainstorming phase of this project goes back to the in between legs of 360 time, and they've been picking away on it after giving themselves time away from it following the conclusion of the tour.

Right, even though the only legitimate sources we have so far have been quoted to say "nowhere near (done?) mixing"?

Sure, it has been completed and mixed and listened to by friends of the band, they finished up and left NYC, Electric Lady is a very nice recording studio, I am sure DM was there for a while before the band showed up for the final process. Now it is on to the mastering phase for pressing, then packaging, the band aren't going to come out and say the album is finished, ready to go... when it's not ready to be released. All statements from the band have indicated a release this year. :crack:

Sure, it has been completed and mixed and listened to by friends of the band, they finished up and left NYC, Electric Lady is a very nice recording studio, I am sure DM was there for a while before the band showed up for the final process. Now it is on to the mastering phase for pressing, then packaging,

What is your source for this?

I've not heard anyone say that they are finished mixing and are now mastering.

I'm all ears, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom