New Album Discussion 1 - Songs of..... - Unreasonable guitar album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't know how much truth there is to this story about them having the option to do another two years at the Sphere (or what that even means), but I do wonder if they have any interest in doing something like that with Larry being a good bit away from full fitness? I can't see them wanting to carry on indefinitely, but maybe some more shows in the New Year?

I really hope they keep the momentum up from this and throw themselves in to a new album next year - presumably Larry can contribute ideas, drum at reduced power when ready and get it to the point where he can do final drums when ready.

I love a lot of those songs.

But if they transitioned into a band that only plays that, they'd have lost me years ago.

I totally agree. I'm just talking about one album in this style. Which I don't think we'll get. They are talking about 1 rock album, and then SOA, which I'm assuming could have some atmospheric sounds, but knowing the band, it's going to be more "uplifting" which I hope doesn't translate to cheese.
I really hope that they would get some... um... appreciation for their darker more serious material after playing AB every night.

I don't know how much truth there is to this story about them having the option to do another two years at the Sphere (or what that even means), but I do wonder if they have any interest in doing something like that with Larry being a good bit away from full fitness? I can't see them wanting to carry on indefinitely, but maybe some more shows in the New Year?

I really hope they keep the momentum up from this and throw themselves in to a new album next year - presumably Larry can contribute ideas, drum at reduced power when ready and get it to the point where he can do final drums when ready.

With Vegas so close to LA, and with Edge in LA, and then only playing 3 nights a week and no logistics to worry about, this might be the ideal setup to record this fall and winter on the off-days should they push into next year. I can’t imagine that demand hasn’t gone up given the positive buzz, and the sense that even if you don’t love U2, this venue is so next level it’s something you’ll want to see if you are in town.

Does appear that, despite the declarations of a few Facebook warriors that the band is absolutely flying back to LA after each show, that at least Bono is sticking around in Vegas, and found himself a church to attend Sunday morning
He probably flew back to LA Saturday night after the show, then got up and flew to Vegas Sunday morning for church, then flew back to LA Sunday afternoon, and had his hat flown from Dublin to Vegas and then to LA as well.

With Vegas so close to LA, and with Edge in LA, and then only playing 3 nights a week and no logistics to worry about, this might be the ideal setup to record this fall and winter on the off-days should they push into next year.

Record with a drum machine?

Bringing Bram into the studio would be overstepping this "arrangement", I would think.

I totally agree. I'm just talking about one album in this style. Which I don't think we'll get. They are talking about 1 rock album, and then SOA, which I'm assuming could have some atmospheric sounds, but knowing the band, it's going to be more "uplifting" which I hope doesn't translate to cheese.
I really hope that they would get some... um... appreciation for their darker more serious material after playing AB every night.

Ultimately the problem is that they put out albums so infrequently that when they do they feel they need to cover all the bases. If they were putting them out every couple years, they could afford to do some more offbeat ones that weren't everyone's cup of tea.

Ultimately the problem is that they put out albums so infrequently that when they do they feel they need to cover all the bases. If they were putting them out every couple years, they could afford to do some more offbeat ones that weren't everyone's cup of tea.

They’ve supposedly got a variety of material, they’re just indecisive and overly focused on making albums “events” even as the vocal half of the band professes to be focused on “songs”. Not everything needs to be a grand statement. Release some songs. Want the audience to be familiar with new material? Keep it flowing. Engage the core audience. Anything that’s got true mainstream appeal will find its way.

200w.gif

So six days on from Atomic City - I want to know two things - what were your initial feelings (whatever rating scale or description you like), and has it gone up, down, or held steady in your mind.

Go!

So six days on from Atomic City - I want to know two things - what were your initial feelings (whatever rating scale or description you like), and has it gone up, down, or held steady in your mind.

Go!

I probably gave it about a 5/10 when it came out and that hasn’t changed. The song is ok, much better than I expected, but I don’t really have any ambition to listen to it again.

Go!

I love it. For the first several days, I was only able to listen to it on my phone. It wasn't until about 48 hours ago that I was able to listen to it on proper speakers, and like most of you said, I was very impressed with the sound and production. I think the lyrics are great, it's catchy, and has been stuck in my head at many points throughout the past few days. My opinion of the song has only grown. I think it's miles ahead of Blackout (which I think is overrated and never did much for me, even at its release), but I might say Miracle is just slightly better.

I probably gave it about a 5/10 when it came out and that hasn’t changed. The song is ok, much better than I expected, but I don’t really have any ambition to listen to it again.

All of this. The catchiest part is a lift that has been in my brain for decades, which is probably why this track is still ringing around in there. Fine for what it is.

I still think it’s pretty good.

Agreed that lyrically, it’s also pretty good, one of the times when being wordy improves the song — especially the second verse.

Again, it’s pretty good.

Go!

I think I like it about as much as when it first released.

When it came out, there was the hype of having a new song, which inevitably has worn off.

Everything else I felt is about the same:

I think the production is great, every instrument sounds very clear and deliberately a little rough around the edges. The drums in particular being at the forefront is something I've wanted for ages, I really like Larry being front and centre.

The arrangement is very fun, there are a lot of cool moments and it feels like they're firing in all cylinders in terms of song structure. There's a lot of 'fight' to the song.

Unfortunately, the thing that matters most - the hook/chorus - isn't that great to me. Again, I don't care at all that it's connected to Blondie, I just don't really love it, so I find I'm enjoying certain elements of the track rather than the whole song. I'm also not really a fan of this side of U2. It sounds like they're kind of emulating the clash at times, and whilst there's nothing wrong with that, and I think they do it quite well, it's not something I can really get too enthusiastic about. I'd much rather see some big soundscapes and Eno-esque atmospheric stadium music than U2 trying to be a garage band playing tribute to 70's rock.

As a result, I've not listened to it much since the 'new U2 song gloss' wore off.

I still think it's a solid effort for a throwaway song, and if they keep this attitude and production approach for the next album, we could get some great music.

I’ve listened to this song more times in it’s first week than Ahimsa and Your Song Saved My Life, so that’s an improvement.

It’s a welcome return to form, catchy and decent production. Straightforward and suits it’s purpose - a one-off single.

You music snobs all of you!!! It’s a great song. Great riff. Great lyrics. Fun and sounds awesome in concert.

Grower not a shower.

It's the best standalone song/single they've released in ages and sounds pretty good live from what I've heard so far.

Definitely less forced musically and lyrically than anything they've done in a while, so I've been pleasantly surprised.

Very promising and I really hope they are going to be recording this year as they seem like they're having a good time at the live shows (despite the usual first night nerves), being spontaneous and sounding good.

I was 'meh' listening to that first live stream during the video shoot, but reserved full judgement until hearing the actual mix.

Now I really really like it! It's not overthought or overproduced at all- has a real raw/4 guys in a studio vibe that their recent work has been missing.

There's also a certain swagger in Bono's delivery, especially in the back half of the song, that I love. No over-forced lyrics or shoehorning 'bumper sticker' lines.

All in all it's a fun song and provided amazing visuals during the Sphere show. They are ready for the fight, indeed.

I like it.

I actually think the lyric is really good. It's one of those songs that can have many meanings depending on the listener.

Can be as simple as a calling card to the fans coming to the Sphere shows, but is also quite a bit autobiographical.

But i also see, especially after actually going to the show, that there's a little climate change message in there.

And what a better place to address climate change they in a brand new 2.5 billion stadium that killed 100000 trees and costs 6 states worth of energy to run 1 concert.

(all facts not made up)

Go!
Still listen to it daily in the car to and from work,just so dam catchy and upbeat. Steady 8/10 for me.

And what a better place to address climate change they in a brand new 2.5 billion stadium that killed 100000 trees and costs 6 states worth of energy to run 1 concert.

(all facts not made up)

The sphere is so crystal clear they can just produce holograms of trees and its the exact same as being in a forest.

The song isn't bad. As a one off, pretty strong. I still find Bono tries too hard with the slogan lyrics at points. I do miss his style from JT - Pop. It was stretching out the words vs cramming so many together.

I still find the pre chorus of Atomic to be the best part. Especially the "Sun, for everyone"

Go!

Here is my "all things Atomic City" scoring:

1- Song- YouTube clips of the video shoot with low audio: 4.5/10

2- Song- Initial listen on Spotify: 5.5/10

3- Music Video: 7/10 (one of their better ones in recent times)

4- Live performance at the Sphere: 8/10(the visuals are truly amazing for this and definitely enhance the song)

5-Song- current listen: 6.5/10 (close to a 7)

The song is solid and fun. The lyrics are actually pretty good, the chorus is fine, the break with the edge solo is nice and there are no cringe moments. It's a low bar but it's significantly better than the last two non-album singles and would say it's fairly close to Invisible(which I enjoyed and feel the album version with the extended opening is a good song).

I actually would have liked this song on an album. I don't think it's a "throw away"(hate that term because it just means bad) song.

Lastly, the song has life live. Sure the visuals help (a lot) but it's up beat and they are plying it with energy. Contrast that with the live version of Best Thing which was lifeless and dull(didn't have to be but it was)

Back
Top Bottom