New Album Discussion 1 - Songs of..... - Unreasonable guitar album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Last Foos record was their best since Wasting Light. Am I in the right forum?

Last Foos record was their best since Wasting Light. Am I in the right forum?

It was phenomenal. But if you're one of the poor souls that has been forced to like Dave Grohl, I'd love to hear your opinions on it.

Wait, why aren't we talking U2?

i still can't get past the fact you called Debbie Harry uncool.

I never called her uncool. I've always hated the song "Call Me". I just wanted to talk about the Foo Fighters for a second.

I also hate the song "Born On A Horse" but Biffy Clyro is my favorite band.

Last edited:
Not often. There usually some kind of clip though. It also doesn’t say whether the release is in line with the rumours of the video 9pm PST Thursday or just midnight Friday in your area.

Midnight Friday happens 14 hours before 9pm pst in my area.

Also - Foo Fighters SUCK

Last edited:
Just to clarify my earlier post. I wasn't saying that U2 shouldn't do a rock song/album inspired in the style of Blondie because I don't like Blondie. I just don't count the sorta bouncy/strummy post-punk style to be of my liking. The Clash obviously had some towards that style and others that were more straight punk sounding.

This song would have some more hope with me if Edge's guitar was tougher and grittier, a longer solo... etc... then I could get a bit more excited. Although then it would be criticized around here for being too RAWK!!
but I still think it would be a better angle. I just want some thicker, darker sounds again (and lyrics as well) I'm having a hard time with U2-lite as of late.

And for the record I like the last two albums quite a lot. But since then...

Just to clarify my earlier post. I wasn't saying that U2 shouldn't do a rock song/album inspired in the style of Blondie because I don't like Blondie. I just don't count the sorta bouncy/strummy post-punk style to be of my liking. The Clash obviously had some towards that style and others that were more straight punk sounding.

This song would have some more hope with me if Edge's guitar was tougher and grittier, a longer solo... etc... then I could get a bit more excited. Although then it would be criticized around here for being too RAWK!!
but I still think it would be a better angle. I just want some thicker, darker sounds again (and lyrics as well) I'm having a hard time with U2-lite as of late.

I can't believe you hate Blondie.

I was thinking about this today,SOI is a great later career album. The apple debacle ruined any chance it had with the public. And stupid reviews like the NME one where I don't even think the guy listened to it.

As for atomic city,it seems like it will be a fun rocker. But I don't think it has any bearing on what comes after.

I was thinking about this today,SOI is a great later career album. The apple debacle ruined any chance it had with the public. And stupid reviews like the NME one where I don't even think the guy listened to it.

As for atomic city,it seems like it will be a fun rocker. But I don't think it has any bearing on what comes after.

SOI was great, when you just focus on the music.

I’m interested to see just how loud Larry’s drums are in the mix as Gavin said. Blondie’s tunes really were led by the groove and drums.

I think my disappointment overall with U2 since basically the end of NLOTH is that Edge was probably the one member of the band I couldn't wait to hear regarding new songs. Of course he's not the most technical player ever, and isn't going to shred like some within the "RAWK" world.....but the dude was so fucking unique. Going through their albums and being amazed that, "This is the same guitar player? These sounds are coming from a guitar???"

Of course the dynamic of rest of the band really brought it all together.

Now when I hear Edge play, it feels like a boring guitar player. If you took away Bono's vocals, it would be tough to know if this was Edge or just another guitar player.

I don't really know enough about the Beatles, but I always felt George's playing was the weakest link. Background noise. Great artist, great player on his own...but never really stood out to me. Maybe with B&E pushing to become some great pop music writers, Edge has decided to focus more on a melody vs a pedal effect

I haven't posted in a while, but I pop on when something new is brewing. Anyway, I hope the single doesn't have him shout "guitar!" before that solo.

Other thoughts based on recent posts here:

1. I rather the band take inspiration from Blondie than One Republic and Ryan Tedder.

2. Foo Fighters' first few albums are amazing, especially the debut and There is Nothing Left to Lose, but they've become an uninspiring arena rock band with cliche lyrics. The hard rock version of Coldplay. David Grohl is a legend and seems like a great guy by all accounts, but the music they play now is just not my thing.

3. I love SOI, and its grown to be a late period favorite. It's much more adventurous and musically creative than SOE. I think Danger Mouse was instrumental in laying the groundwork for that album even though he was basically phased out toward the end.

4. The band is fixated on capturing that Vertigo-like commercial success. Atomic City seems to have the potential be better than, for example, Miracle or Blackout but it still won't be anything deep or lasting. There needs to be a little more anger, defiance, and propulsion in their music. But they are in that "joy of the song" phase of their lives. U2 was always better when they had this sort of chaotic and dangerous element.

I think it would be foolish to suggest Edge hasn’t been lacking in inspiration and innovation for a very long time.

One ray of hope for me is that he seemed to thrive on the SOS project. He deconstructed songs, added chords, changed structures, introduced counter melodies. It was a much greater piece of inspired musical creation than most here will credit.

I think it would be foolish to suggest Edge hasn’t been lacking in inspiration and innovation for a very long time.

One ray of hope for me is that he seemed to thrive on the SOS project. He deconstructed songs, added chords, changed structures, introduced counter melodies. It was a much greater piece of inspired musical creation than most here will credit.

I'm on board with this. He did a really nice job on SOS.

All this Blondie talk reminds me of the Elvis Costello talk back in 2009 when GOYB came out.

I like Blondie and when he hits "I'm Freeee" and the next lyric it sounds very similar to "Call Me" by Blondie but it ends there...3 words....that's it (to my ears) and that's nothing.

Back
Top Bottom