New Album Discussion 1 - Songs of..... - Unreasonable guitar album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm sure they'll do something like this. At the start maybe? Just long enough for those in the 400s to start bitching before the screen explodes into life?

Genuinely interested to see how they're going to use the screen.

I’m assuming it would be during the best of run before they get into the album like the JT show.

He's been releasing a new song to coincide with every new cycle of the moon. Each one is related to streaming with an accompanying piece of cover art from an artist and a video blog about the track. There's no word if/when there will be an album to buy or when the releases will stop as he has a lot of material apparently.

I saw him live in the summer and the new tracks are really good and were well received well. So clearly the fans going to the shows were listening to the new songs (which makes sense) in advance of going to the shows.

That said, ticket sales for the US haven't been as good as expected from what I can see and there's been discussion that he should just release an album of all the new songs to generate interest.

I thought about buying tickets for this, but when I saw he was playing in the SoFi/Forum area on the west side, I didn't feel like dealing with that headache again.

Guess I'll be firing up my DVD of the Secret World tour instead.

I’m assuming it would be during the best of run before they get into the album like the JT show.

That would be another way to let them do a proper, impactful Zoo Station "opening" while also opening the show with something else.

Lights out, Zoo Station intro riff in the dark, flashes of light at bits then everything comes on when the band comes in?

Or even better, Bono starts in a spotlight on his own doing the intro refrain he used on the indoor leg of Zoo TV.

Fat Elvis in Vegas looked older than Bono now and he died at 42.

No way, we don't get a snippet of an Elvis song... crap I'm in wrong thread... too late now.

So my initial thought is that it's better than the other non-album songs released since SOE like Your Song Saved my Life and Ahimsa but I find both of those fairly dreadful.

Now in fairness, the audio that I have listen to doesn't showcase the production at all and in U2 songs...that can be a big difference maker (yes, it could go either way), so I look forward to hearing an "official"(final?) version before I make a definitive judgement.

I hope the polished version provides some perspective that makes me like it more or even like it a lot....I'll find out soon.

I think that’s a really fair point - the bones of this song are fine - lyrics aren’t too cringe, chords, hook, melody, style all fine. Production could send this in either direction.

I'm very optimistic... the sound on Edge's solo and Adam's bass solo/run thing was pretty encouraging I thought....

Final mix can certainly sink a good song, but I can’t imagine a world where it’s so bad that it turns what sounds like a decent song into something worse than Your Song Saved My Life or Ahimsa (or We Are the People and 40 Foot Man - no offense to that one which I think is fine but nothing special - and obviously Eden To Find Love).

So my initial thought is that it's better than the other non-album songs released since SOE like Your Song Saved my Life and Ahimsa but I find both of those fairly dreadful.

Now in fairness, the audio that I have listen to doesn't showcase the production at all and in U2 songs...that can be a big difference maker (yes, it could go either way), so I look forward to hearing an "official"(final?) version before I make a definitive judgement.

I hope the polished version provides some perspective that makes me like it more or even like it a lot....I'll find out soon.

This is about where I'm at. I held my fire for over a week, because to be honest when I first heard the song, I was.. kinda pissed off. To me, yet another middle of the road, we fancy ourselves "songwriters" songs. You could tell it was a B&E production foisted upon the legendary rhythm section.

So I gave myself some time and listened a few days later, then a few days after that. After reading the lyrics and accepting that the recordings of it that I heard were quite shitty, I do have a sliver of hope of it being at least Miracle level or slightly above. It definitely stuck in my head more than Miracle did.

So I welcome the real, quality studio version to give it a proper review.

But I will say this. 1. If doing Blondie inspired songs is where this "unreasonable guitar" big rock record is going, then I'm gonna be quite depressed. The Edge's "solo" was definitely not worthy of some people's comments of "The Edge is back!"

2. I'm getting tired of excuse making and trying to listen enough to a song to find some parts I like from this band. We should be arguing about what our favorite part of this new song that we just heard. Why it's even better than the part that you think is awesome, and why it gave you chills, etc... Not about what part sort of saves it a little or makes it ok.

They've had 6 fucking years to work on material. No matter what the studio version sounds like, it should be better than this.

Caveat. Yes, I know they are releasing this particular song because it is Vegas themed, so I cut them some slack there. My hope is that there is better to come.

Yeah - but they clearly didn’t spend 6 years on this. It’s sounds like a fuckabout in the studio for a few weeks tbh. I doubt has anything to do with either album project sonically, stylistically, thematically. At all

Yeah - but they clearly didn’t spend 6 years on this. It’s sounds like a fuckabout in the studio for a few weeks tbh. I doubt has anything to do with either album project sonically, stylistically, thematically. At all

So this does beg the question, is this some stand alone thing they spun up a few weeks ago, or will it be on the new album?
My hope is the former, but my gut tells me they will include it on the album, cause they think it’s just that good.

If it is the former, I’m getting a little sick of these one offs. Commit already!

They've had 6 fucking years to work on material. No matter what the studio version sounds like, it should be better than this. .

I do think this is a one-off song for Vegas and am optimistic based on the crappy YouTube audio that its pretty good for a one-off.

As for the 6 years comment, Adam confirmed that unless they can tour, they find it hard or don’t want to (I can’t remember the exact wording) focus on recording an album. And we all know what they’re like without focus.

Add in lockdown, Bono’s solo stuff, SOS, Larry’s health issues… B&E may have lots of ideas piled up, but its anybody’s guess as to how far along any actual cohesive album actually is.

6 years though. Scary isn’t it?

This is about where I'm at. I held my fire for over a week, because to be honest when I first heard the song, I was.. kinda pissed off. To me, yet another middle of the road, we fancy ourselves "songwriters" songs. You could tell it was a B&E production foisted upon the legendary rhythm section.

So I gave myself some time and listened a few days later, then a few days after that. After reading the lyrics and accepting that the recordings of it that I heard were quite shitty, I do have a sliver of hope of it being at least Miracle level or slightly above. It definitely stuck in my head more than Miracle did.

There's no question that it's a bit of an ear worm. It stuck in my head for a few days as well, and I haven't listened to it since the day after it came out

But I will say this. 1. If doing Blondie inspired songs is where this "unreasonable guitar" big rock record is going, then I'm gonna be quite depressed. The Edge's "solo" was definitely not worthy of some people's comments of "The Edge is back!"

I think I said that. I also once said that the guitar solo in Stand Up Comedy made me hard. First listens can be, uh, yea, they can be something.

That said - Edge putting out an funky sounding solo is more Esge than we've heard in a while. It trends more 90s Edge than the more recent classic rock Edge. That's likely where that comment came from.

As far as the big guitar album, ahhh come on who the hell knows it's one song that serves a very specific purpose.

2. I'm getting tired of excuse making and trying to listen enough to a song to find some parts I like from this band. We should be arguing about what our favorite part of this new song that we just heard. Why it's even better than the part that you think is awesome, and why it gave you chills, etc... Not about what part sort of saves it a little or makes it ok.

They've had 6 fucking years to work on material. No matter what the studio version sounds like, it should be better than this.

Caveat. Yes, I know they are releasing this particular song because it is Vegas themed, so I cut them some slack there. My hope is that there is better to come.

Yeaaaa I mean again, it's one song for a very specific purpose. It's clearly better than the last couple of "one songs for a very specific purpose" songs we've gotten, and we haven't actually even heard a proper recording yet.

I certainly didn't feel Little Things was epic until they played it on Kimmel. And I thought Best Thing was catchy as fuck until I heard it on the album and wanted to vomit.

So yea let's wait until we hear the damn thing before we start shitting bricks over whether or not they've wasted the last 6 years, or if you should throw your fan club card out the window.

…if you should throw your fan club card out the window.

I almost forgot we once had an actual fan club card. Was it around Vertigo time? Black and red metal? I’m sure I still have it knocking about somewhere in the back of a drawer…

Maybe I should suggest we wear those round our neck for the Sphere gigs? Would go well with the lanyards and glowsticks?

And Aang San Suu Kyi masks

How was that EVER a thing?

I have this feeling that like 20 years from now I'm going to be going through some boxes and find one of those stupid masks. I know I brought one home each night from the 2 360 shows I attended. No idea where they are now, but I doubt I threw both out (maybe one), so some day that thing is gonna pop up and scare the bejeezus out of me.

I have this feeling that like 20 years from now I'm going to be going through some boxes and find one of those stupid masks. I know I brought one home each night from the 2 360 shows I attended. No idea where they are now, but I doubt I threw both out (maybe one), so some day that thing is gonna pop up and scare the bejeezus out of me.
They handed them out in Glasgow,we basically just launched them into the air. Not wearing that! And what happened during walk on,the sound went.[emoji1787]

Your #2 is spot on. I think our bar has been set so low at this point where the excuse making is laughable at this point. Never should we make excuses for U2 ripping off Blondie. That's not who U2 was in their heydey at all. It's embarrassing and I'd rather them not release anything new at this point (if they're truly out of original ideas) and just focus on opening the vaults and releasing live albums.

I'm getting tired of excuse making and trying to listen enough to a song to find some parts I like from this band. We should be arguing about what our favorite part of this new song that we just heard. Why it's even better than the part that you think is awesome, and why it gave you chills, etc... Not about what part sort of saves it a little or makes it ok..

This right here, which has been a pervasive theme by some users ever since we entered the post-SOE doldrums. I don't think I've been particularly moved by any of their output since, but sure, tell me about why the timbre on SOS's One actually saves the entire song, you're just not listening hard enough.

And like I said before, I really don't care that U2 is using Blondie's melody; there are only so many melodies in the world and you're free to take inspiration from wherever you want. I do care that he's saying this is inspired by Blondie and songs of the era; that's a half-step away from being a rip off. There's a huge difference in doing something like Lights of Home and Haim's My Song 5, and this.

Back
Top Bottom