New Album Discussion 1 - Songs of..... - Unreasonable guitar album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No mention of new song at opening night followed by:

“We have something up our sleeves we are going to play tonight that we haven’t played in quite awhile. What better place than Vegas. Here it is…this is Ordinary Love”. (Larry joins on bongo’s waves walks out)

Last edited:
No mention of new song at opening night followed by:

“We have something up our sleeves we are going to play tonight that we haven’t played in quite awhile. What better place than Vegas. Here it is…this is Ordinary Love”. (Larry joins on bongo’s waves walks out)
Followed by "Your Song Saved My Life".

I know,but I thought a teaser of the video and release date would have been this week.

I reckon that'll start on Monday.

If I recall, that's what happened with Songs of Surrender and Pride as the lead single. Promo Monday, release Friday.

I also agree that putting the single out today might have made more sense, but given this new song isn't linked to an album, and was clearly written specifically for the Sphere performances, I don't think there's a real risk of one distracting from the other. Might actually be quite cool to have a new song and the first show on the same day.

They will play it once and the crowd who will be mostly casual fans of u2 will not care and that will be it.

Then they will try to play 40 without Larry and the real fans will propel from the 400s to avenge Mr Mullen.

They will play it once and the crowd who will be mostly casual fans of u2 will not care and that will be it.

They’re going to talk it up as new and relevant and play it every night regardless of crowd reaction like they did with American Soul.

I also agree that putting the single out today might have made more sense, but given this new song isn't linked to an album, and was clearly written specifically for the Sphere performances, I don't think there's a real risk of one distracting from the other. Might actually be quite cool to have a new song and the first show on the same day.

I think the same-day release is the right idea. What's the point of releasing it today? To get people to buy tickets before next weekend's shows? Aren't they sold out already?

I think the double-whammy of media outlets being able to talk about the first show and the new single makes it more newsworthy. U2 merely releasing a single, especially a stand-alone, isn't the big deal it used to be for 99% of the public.

I think the same-day release is the right idea. What's the point of releasing it today? To get people to buy tickets before next weekend's shows? Aren't they sold out already?

I think the double-whammy of media outlets being able to talk about the first show and the new single makes it more newsworthy. U2 merely releasing a single, especially a stand-alone, isn't the big deal it used to be for 99% of the public.

True, but that's pretty much the case for any artist out there nowadays. Either way, having something both in the lead up to the shows and the first day can't hurt for bringing the band some attention nowadays. Not like they need help selling the Sphere shows at this point, but for the brand as a whole, it's probably a solid investment.

They did warn that some folks may experience nausea…

You nearly owed me a near keyboard after that remark! :lol:

I'm like ten days late on everything, but I literally don't care if it sounds like Blondie. Is it a bit TOO close? I think yeah, a little bit. But I really don't care about people reusing melodies. There are a finite amount of them, who cares.

Also I don't think U2's image is foregone. Yes, people still talk about the iPhone thing almost ten years later, but there's still plenty of time for them to pull a Springsteen-style rebrand. I was actively teased in 2005-09 for liking Springsteen, and now EVERYONE likes Springsteen. They gotta tread lightly but I think it's possible

I'm like ten days late on everything, but I literally don't care if it sounds like Blondie. Is it a bit TOO close? I think yeah, a little bit. But I really don't care about people reusing melodies. There are a finite amount of them, who cares.

If Bono had just stopped at the "Free" and then went into a different vocal pattern that wasn't Blondie, then it probably would have been cool. But instead? Yeah we're stuck with Blondie.

Also I don't think U2's image is foregone. Yes, people still talk about the iPhone thing almost ten years later, but there's still plenty of time for them to pull a Springsteen-style rebrand. I was actively teased in 2005-09 for liking Springsteen, and now EVERYONE likes Springsteen. They gotta tread lightly but I think it's possible

If you look at the comment section of the Asbury Park Press on Facebook, you will find that not everyone likes him.

I don't disagree.

The Stones had a period where they were lame for being old guys still trying to make a living.

Now wearing the Stones logo is cool again. It's a vicious cycle, getting old.

And since I grew up in the general vicinity of New York and New Jersey, I know not of this 2005-2009 dislike for the Boss.

Yeah, I completely agree. The show will promote the single and vice versa. There isn't much reason to promote the first batch of dates which all sold out immediately. Most remaining seats are in November and December.

Plus any hardcore fans there (likely a good amount on opening night) should already know the song by now.

Yeah I find it a bit hard to believe U2 will ever become cool again (I mean were they ever? 90s maybe?). They’re probably the most made fun of band in the world besides maybe Nickelback.

Maybe in 50 years when everything except their music is forgotten.

Yeah I find it a bit hard to believe U2 will ever become cool again (I mean were they ever? 90s maybe?). They’re probably the most made fun of band in the world besides maybe Nickelback.

Maybe in 50 years when everything except their music is forgotten.

They were cool in the 80's and 90's (certainly the early 90's). And not thought of too badly in the early 2000's by most.

we've had this conversation before.

comparing U2 to nickleback is ridiculous.

those who do hate them are quite vocal - but there's an age range - let's say late 30s and up - where the band is beloved and always have been - by the general public. you don't sell the number of tickets they've sold or the albums they sold (when that was a thing) if there's a 50/50 love 'em or hate 'em thing going on.

again - those who do hate them are very vocal about it. but it's not a huge number. i think people often mistake eye rolling at bono for hatred of U2.

that said - there's a SHARP cut off once we start getting past Vertigo. they tried to hang around with the youngs for too long and faced a sharp backlash - the apple debacle being the culmination. but the fans who became fans in the 80s, 90s and early 2000s are plentiful.

the olds still love U2. how many other bands could come close to selling out 25 shows in a single city for an old album?

their being the old guy in the club thing has hurt their legacy with younger generations. but i do think, in time, that'll swing back.

They were cool in the 80's and 90's (certainly the early 90's). And not thought of too badly in the early 2000's by most.

You could definitely sense the backlash really starting around the 2005. The 2000-2002 resurgence had a lot to do with the back to basics and then 9/11 of course. And once that wore off, people really got sick of the "Africa, Bono met the Pope, U2 is for Soccer Moms" version and they never really recovered from that. SOI was a great opportunity to because the album and tour were both great but yeah the whole iPhone thing ruined that.

Back
Top Bottom