New Album Discussion 1 - Songs of..... - Unreasonable guitar album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Songs of Surrender is essentially meaningless to me. Only one song- Wild Horses- is as good or better than the original. The other 39 range from so-so to not memorable at all to absolutely God-awful. I'm sure someday I'll buy a used copy on eBay for a couple bucks, just so I have a physical copy of everything, but that's about it. No desire to ever re-listen to any of it- which, for the record, I'm completely fine with. I had no expectations for this, and if it helps them get the creative juices flowing again and get this acoustic thing out of their system in advance of the next album, so be it.

Wild Horses was pretty good. Every Breaking Wave too, if you ignore that wild ass note.

I didn't buy it. Just listened on Apple Music. And so it shall remain. I hate that cover too. You all get pictures from different eras or all from the same. Thank you.

I don't think it was ever about being better than the original songs. I would say that none of the songs are better than the original, but there are several that I like that I'll listen to every once in a while if I'm in the mood for U2, and that's fine. I'm glad they released it.

I don't think it was ever about being better than the original songs. I would say that none of the songs are better than the original, but there are several that I like that I'll listen to every once in a while if I'm in the mood for U2, and that's fine. I'm glad they released it.

right?

never in a million years did i imagine that anything would be better than the original - nor would i ever think that any acoustic take that any band releases is meant to be better.

it's strictly meant to be an alternate take.

Yep. Did people genuinely go in expecting better? Like, really? That’s insane - no wonder those people complain. I went vegan for health reasons a few years ago. I really like a lot of the food I now eat because I understand what it is and what it’s meant to be. But if I was stupid enough to think a veg pizza with fake cheese is going to be as luxurious and satisfying as a normal pizza then I am going to be seriously disappointed, and that disappointment isn’t the pizza maker’s fault. It’s mine for being a moron.

Wild Horses was pretty good. Every Breaking Wave too, if you ignore that wild ass note.

I didn't buy it. Just listened on Apple Music. And so it shall remain. I hate that cover too. You all get pictures from different eras or all from the same. Thank you.

What note am I missing?

What note am I missing?

4:47ish

I didn’t expect them to be better. I was hoping for some of that U2 live magic. Instead, for me, it was a lot of talk singing, changed melodies and missing emotion in so many songs. I thought Bono sounded great for the Surrender shows, so the voice and charisma is still there. Live. To be fair, I honestly very seldom listen to U2 records AB is the only one that gets played top to bottom every so often.

At this point, it's as if SOS never happened. I do recall thinking The Miracle was better than the original.

For what SOS was meant to be, there’s some gems on there including a reimagined Bad and I’m just glad they gave us something while we wait for the next proper album and tour. It’s an experiment and not meant to replace the originals. I started listening again yesterday and it was just enjoyable to listen and not over analyze it.

Yep. Did people genuinely go in expecting better? Like, really? That’s insane - no wonder those people complain. I went vegan for health reasons a few years ago. I really like a lot of the food I now eat because I understand what it is and what it’s meant to be. But if I was stupid enough to think a veg pizza with fake cheese is going to be as luxurious and satisfying as a normal pizza then I am going to be seriously disappointed, and that disappointment isn’t the pizza maker’s fault. It’s mine for being a moron.

It’s an acoustic U2 album! It’s better than imagined considering their past attempts at acoustic stuff and it’s not gonna overshadow the originals because of how integral the soundscapes of the originals are to the songs! However, SOS does show that they are well written songs!

Was listening to an interview with Ed O’Brien or Noel Gallagher or Edge or some other guitar gear interview and they commented on how surprisingly loud U2 is, alah it is The Who style loud, and part of it was because of Larry’s drumming style which is kind of funny because you wouldn’t expect it

I cannot fathom how fucking rock and roll Your Song Saved My Life is going to be live.

They’ve got an amazing catalog and they’re going to slot that stupid shit in at a limited residency.

Being a U2 fan is so frustrating. It’s like I want them to get the respect they deserve for all the great music they’ve created but then the band is all like here is Walk On (Ukraine)! As much as we love them Bono and Edge have been very out of touch for a long time.

I'm finishing up Bono's autobiography and it's just almost depressing how good of a writer this man is, how he understands music and the history of music, how he realizes all the members of U2 are what make the band great, and yet does not understand fundamentally what makes what he contributes to the band good.

Dude takes lyrics from Bad and American Soul and treats them as equals.

I'm finishing up Bono's autobiography and it's just almost depressing how good of a writer this man is, how he understands music and the history of music, how he realizes all the members of U2 are what make the band great, and yet does not understand fundamentally what makes what he contributes to the band good.

Dude takes lyrics from Bad and American Soul and treats them as equals.
Leave refuJesus alone!

(We’re never going to hear the original version of Walk On anymore, are we? :sad: )

There’s nothing wrong with the original version even now, as it is universal enough in theme to still be effective. But They’re Dumb.

IF they truly have an album in the can, I'm surprised as it will have been the quietest recording session for them in memory

Which suggests either they were successful in keeping everything largely a secret OR there's less interest in new u2 recordings in general, and fewer people snooping for tidbits & beach clips

Back
Top Bottom