NBA Basketball 2009-10: The Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not at all clear that having Perkins still in would make a difference this game, and one or both technicals are likely to be reversed (annulling the suspension), but the ejection was ridiculous.

Dayym. Rivers must have been about ready to put on a jersey in the 4th..... Fingers Crossed for Game 6...otherwise the broom might be on its way back.

This was one of the best games I've seen in person.

Two technicals on Perkins in like two minutes.

Sickening.

And he's now got 7 total for the playoffs, which means a suspension.

The last one will probably get rescinded. I hate double-technicals and think they're pure cop out calls, but the league sure loves making sure they stick around. God forbid any players talk to each other.

Either way, Big Baby's concussed and 'Sheed tweaked his back (and probably ran out of weed).

The Magic will win Game 6 if they continue to dictate the tempo like they have the last two games, hope Boston's bigs can't play and Howard has another monster game, and if someone abducts Vince Carter before gametime. I'm glad that they've been able to match the physicality that the Celts have been playing with on a consistent basis. Lewis looks like he's breaking out of his virus-induced slump and finally took advantage of his skill in the post vs. Pierce.

I'd like to share some thoughts I've had as I've watched the playoffs unfold. Skip ahead if you don't want to read me babble about something not really pertinent to previous conversation in here.

I'm a LeBron fan. I will start there. I know a lot of you dislike him for no good reason, as sports fans are want to do, and some like Headache dislike him for reasons you can at least grasp and respect, regardless of whether you agree or not. I rooted like crazy for the Cavs, cos I wanted to see him win. I like seeing greatness, and he can be an all-time great. That being said, the series against the Celtics was so very frustrating, on so many levels. The my arm hurts no it doesn't routine got a little stale. The arrogance of his statements going into Game 6 irked me a bit. His complete lack of aggression during the majority of the series was confusing. And, just watching him give the ball up to Varejao on THREE different occasions during the 4th quarter of Game Six, once when the Cavs were down just two drove me fucking berserk. Pick and rolls for LeBron, and three times Varejao gets a bounce pass from LeBron....he didn't even get a fucking shot off on any of those plays. And as I watched that, you know where my mind turned?

To Jordan. And that lead to me just dwelling on greatness within the framework of team sports, and how hard it is to be deemed a "winner".

Not that all of these cats are in the same category, but I think about guys like Barkley and Ewing and Stockton and Malone and Mullin and AI and Nowitzki and Nash and Elgin Baylor and George Gervin and more that never won a title. And the list of players that won just one is littered with prestigious players. And that's just the NBA. It's sooo hard just to win one. Let alone six. In six full seasons.

I remember early in MJ's career, my Dad would dismiss him because "he doesn't make the players around him better all he does is score and they haven't won anything yet."....which was funny, cos my Dad would then tell you that Wilt was the best player of all-time "Dad, there wasn't even a three second rule then". But, eventually, Jordan shut my Dad and all people like him up. And he went from this high flying scoring machine to something so much more. And, from all accounts, this guy was a bastard to be around, yet, he produced, and then some. And the further I get from it, I think the more in awe I become of his career. I remember working in a sporting goods store back in college, and we sold video tapes....and we'd play "Come Fly With Me" over and over....and over, and be enthralled every single time....but I barely recall that version of MJ anymore, unless I really dwell on it like now. Now, if I think of him I think of him sinking that jumper to crush Ehlo's spirit, or clutching the trophy while crying, or getting an IV at halftime and still hitting big shots, and of course the jumper against Utah, push off or not. And though MJ certainly had times when he gave the ball up to Kerr or Paxson during big moments....I cannot hep but think that at age 25 Jordan wouldn't be giving up the ball on no fucking pick and roll to no fucking Anderson Varejao in the 4th quarter with his team facing elimination. No fucking way.

I feel blessed to have gotten to see people like Gretzky, Lemieux, Bird, Magic, Griffey Jr., Pedro, Maddux, Marino, Montana, Rice, Payton, Sanders, Bo Jackson, and others, in their prime, during my life-time. And I look forward to whoever is next, legitimately next, to join that list. But Jordan, fuck. For me, he's the best participant in the history of north american team sports. Six titles. In six full seasons. And I cannot recall that team losing a series to a team they were favored to beat during MJ's time with them, though I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

I've heard all sorts of reasons for the Cavs failures, from Mike Brown to the supporting cast wasn't good enough, etc....and there's truth to all of that, to a certain extent. But, until LeBron gets some MJ or even Kobe-type fire lit inside of him, he's going to fall short of a title often. And if you are going to say shit about being a global icon and being a billionaire, I think it's implied that you're expected to win a title or two along the way.

Anyway, this is just a rambling account of my thoughts as the playoffs have progressed. And it's not like saying "Gee, MJ was great" is some revelatory pronouncement. I just think I have a greater appreciation for it than ever before, just from seeing over and over and over again how hard it is to be a champion, let alone a six-time champion.

Nice post. Having seen Varejão often ruining our national team for so many years (including when he decides he is a good 3-point shooter), I can't even begin to understand how he gets so much playing time in the Cavs, especially in critical moments of the game. I like the guy and his energy, but he has never been more than an average player.

I have a bad feeling about this.

293.garcia.lost.122208.jpg

P.S.: Is anyone else amazed that Dwight Howard can play this consistently dirty all the time and still have no qualms about bitching about the refs in the media? Dude gets away with bloody murder.

P.S.: Is anyone else amazed that Dwight Howard can play this consistently dirty all the time and still have no qualms about bitching about the refs in the media? Dude gets away with bloody murder.

The frustration comes from when he and his defender are allowed to be physical at either end, but when Dwight gets called for the tickiest of ticky-tack fouls that could be called. Is it dubious when the guy finishes with 2 fouls? Absolutely, but if all of the other superstars can get the benefit of the doubt, then why not Howard?

Nice post. Having seen Varejão often ruining our national team for so many years (including when he decides he is a good 3-point shooter), I can't even begin to understand how he gets so much playing time in the Cavs, especially in critical moments of the game. I like the guy and his energy, but he has never been more than an average player.

Definitely agree that he's high energy, etc, but, in crunch time, you want him safely ensconced on the bench.

Thanks for reading that post, by the way, I recognize that it was way too long and rambly, but so be it. :)

Definitely agree that he's high energy, etc, but, in crunch time, you want him safely ensconced on the bench.

Thanks for reading that post, by the way, I recognize that it was way too long and rambly, but so be it. :)

If anything, I felt really nostalgic. That MJ jumper against the Jazz in 1998 is probably the greatest sports memory I have from my teen years (that and us winning the World Cup in 1994, but that's a different matter). So yeah, Lebron has a lot of ground to cover before getting anywhere close to Jordan. But I like him and hope he will come to the Knicks next season. It would be loads of fun to see that guy playing in MSG.

Yes, I certainly am. I understand that he takes his share of hard fouls, but something needs to be done about those elbows of his. It's only a matter of time before he seriously injures someone with those.

I think that the NBA and its corporate army so desperately want Howard to be a superstar that he is starting to believe that he is a victim every time that a foul is called on him. Again, that's just my suspicion.

:yikes:

Nail biter. Can't believe Artest was throwing up so much shit, but he redeemed himself with that last one.

Looks like the conventional wisdom holds true: if Odom has a good game, Lakers win.

And once again, Kobe just shy of a triple-double.

where are our laker fans today?

It's always like this after an L.

it's not any more quiet here than it is after a Laker win when no one else can be bothered to comment

A shame that Kobe's exceptional playing isn't getting enough support. Guy is putting up some very impressive, well-rounded numbers. Two near triple-doubles this series.

Make that THREE near triple-doubles.

Back
Top Bottom