NBA 2023-24 Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
giphy.gif

It's the regular season. They'll be able to crow again come playoff time.
Fair enough.

It's crazy how JJ Reddick, who knows full well that a new coach isn't jumping into a team in the middle of the season and changing things immediately, can go on TV and bash Doc for the Bucks losing when he first took over... and then the next day decry hot take culture on TV.

I like the progress. I’m kind of looking at this as a lost season though. New roster, new coach mid year. Celtics should win it all. If they don’t, that’s a massive let down. Don’t really think the Bucks will be able to compete with them but if they get hot at the right time, then it could get fun.

I was mostly joking, though I do think that Rivers will not be great there. I find the Bucks a little overrated now? Their underlying stats are definitely not at a contenders' level. Their guard defense is a problem right now. Giannis could of course turn a series around by himself, but I am not very optimistic on them.

But mostly I just need the Knicks to get healthy.

You don't want to put too much stock in one loss, but Boston's collapse last night should be concerning to them. For three quarters, they were moving the ball, playing totally unselfish offense. Then once the Cavs started making a run, Boston forgot how to pass. I don't know if that's coaching or what, but severe lapses like that could doom them in the playoffs.

I was mostly joking, though I do think that Rivers will not be great there. I find the Bucks a little overrated now? Their underlying stats are definitely not at a contenders' level. Their guard defense is a problem right now. Giannis could of course turn a series around by himself, but I am not very optimistic on them.

But mostly I just need the Knicks to get healthy.
I will say though that the Bucks have looked better the last 5 games than they have all season, so there's that. Plus, Patrick Beverly has been a blessing. I still don't think this is the year they win it all. It's the Celtics' title to lose, but I have been somewhat pleased by Doc so far.

You don't want to put too much stock in one loss, but Boston's collapse last night should be concerning to them. For three quarters, they were moving the ball, playing totally unselfish offense. Then once the Cavs started making a run, Boston forgot how to pass. I don't know if that's coaching or what, but severe lapses like that could doom them in the playoffs.
Coaching is the one flaw I see with the C's that could become fatal in the playoffs.

Coaching is the one flaw I see with the C's that could become fatal in the playoffs.
an over reliance on 3 pointers and poor end game execution is the flaw I see in the Celtics chances come playoff time.

now that certainly CAN be pegged on coaching - but these have been issues for Stevens, Udoka and now Bazooka Joe.

I personally think they'll figure it out - but, yea - it's an issue. Especially against Denver in June.

I will say though that the Bucks have looked better the last 5 games than they have all season, so there's that. Plus, Patrick Beverly has been a blessing. I still don't think this is the year they win it all. It's the Celtics' title to lose, but I have been somewhat pleased by Doc so far.
i would agree with this. I also think Lillard has been more engaged since the coaching change on both sides of the ball. Ultimately I don't think Milwaukee has enough when compared to Boston because Middleton is a shell of his former self. They're not solving that this year and will have to address it come the offseason. Swapping out Middleton for someone more like , say, OG Anunoby - someone who can guard multiple positions, can still shoot but doesn't necessarily need plays drawn up for him... would be huge for Milwaukee.

You can't have him, though. Get your own.

Frankly I think Milwaukee blew their chances before the season even began.

they should have found a third team in the Lillard trade to redirect Holiday to a Western conference contender. Letting him go to Portland - who you knew full well would just turn around and trade him - ended up being a fatal mistake. Boston taking Porzingis for Smart was a risk. Being able to bring in Holiday for Time Lord negated that risk, and instead of Boston downgrading one spot to upgrade another? yea, they were able to upgrade both the center and point guard positions. Barring injury, Milwaukee won't be able to overcome this this season.

with the new tax apron, they're going to have to get creative in the offseason.

Last edited:
Just heard a very interesting stat about Boston: in the 4th quarter, they run the 4th most isos in the league, and are 27th in points on those isos. That sounds like poor coaching.

Just heard a very interesting stat about Boston: in the 4th quarter, they run the 4th most isos in the league, and are 27th in points on those isos. That sounds like poor coaching.
i'm not necessarily saying it is or it isn't - but it's been the same issue across 3 different head coaches. so seems like it's an organizational priority that should probably be addressed.

Crazy Joe Mazzulla has been quoted in an interview last season saying the most important stat in the NBA is 3 point attempt rate. That scares me. The C's tend to rely too heavily on the 3. Thought the recent Philly game where they only made 5 and dominated in the paint was a turning point away (at least partially) from that organizational philosophy, but who knows.
Not super concerned with last night. That happens in the NBA. they took their foot off the gas and couldn't regain the momentum and stop the bleeding. Mazzulla needs to use his timeouts better, that is a glaring problem with him.

Crazy Joe Mazzulla has been quoted in an interview last season saying the most important stat in the NBA is 3 point attempt rate. That scares me. The C's tend to rely too heavily on the 3.
I agree, but that's essentially the entire NBA right now. If the 3 isn't falling, they're done. Of the real contenders, probably only Denver is above that, simply because of how dominant Jokic is in the paint and as a distributor.

Don't give anyone crazy ideas about OG, Headache.

Thankfully he’s not going anywhere. That beautiful human.

Honestly, I have no idea why Presti didn't throw some picks at the Raptors for OG. Imagine him in that starting lineup instead of Giddey.

Last edited:
I'll also say: counting on KP to be healthy in the playoffs is Boston's biggest if.

Can we talk about the Suns? Has anyone looked at their schedule? They have like Boston x2, Wolves x2, Cavs x2, OKC, Bucks, Clippers x2, Denver and a number of other difficult games. By far the hardest remaining schedule in the league. They are one game ahead of the play-in and three games ahead of #10. That team might not make it even past the play-in, which is hind of hilarious (sorry, KD, don't internet fight me).

This is me harboring hopes that CAA client Devin Booker may ask out in the summer following a Suns collapse.

Last edited:
Can we talk about the Suns? Has anyone looked at their schedule? They have like Boston x2, Wolves x2, Cavs x2, OKC, Bucks, Clippers x2, Denver and a number of other difficult games. By far the hardest remaining schedule in the league. They are one game ahead of the play-in and three games ahead of #10. That team might not make it even past the play-in, which is hind of hilarious (sorry, KD, don't internet fight me).

This is me harboring hopes that CAA client Devin Booker may ask out in the summer following a Suns collapse.
It seems every team Durant forces his way onto, his teammates let him down. Poor guy can't catch a break.

Don't give anyone crazy ideas about OG, Headache.

Thankfully he’s not going anywhere. That beautiful human.

Honestly, I have no idea why Presti didn't throw some picks at the Raptors for OG. Imagine him in that starting lineup instead of Giddey.
I'm not sure why Presti didn't do a lot of things, to be honest. That team is right on the brink of being a real contender with a million assets and cap space. They need interior depth and toughness and they got... an old wing who is always hurt.

Back
Top Bottom