NBA 2023-24 Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yes. they're not tanking.

when OKC traded Russ away - everyone expected the full tank job. but they didn't. they actually surprised people and made the playoffs. THEN they traded CP3 and Paul George and went full tank. they got all those picks AND they got SGA out of the deal.

the guys in charge of the Wizards now are cut from that cloth. it's a weaker draft this year. they're not going full tank. at least not yet.

the beal no trade clause kept them from getting the haul that the old regime SHOULD have gotten for him 3 years ago. so to do this right - they need assets. they have a TON of tradable contracts. they have a ton of veterans on this team that can help establish a good culture now, and be used as trade pieces later. this year is not the tank year.

now 2024-25 - when boozer and cooper flagg are on the draft board? THAT is the tank year. that's the year to go all in and try to get that top 3 pick - and i believe that's the plan.

the folks in charge now know what they're doing. the previous folks did not.

honestly? i think they'll win around 35 games this year. the same as last year, actually - but will be a lot more fun in getting to the same result. they'll run more, play better defense, and have some young kids who you can actually get excited about.

Nevermind

Ok, now I've had time to process and come down from the high, here's my thoughts on the Kings-Jazz game.

• You folks really like your fucking anthem, hey. I hate ours. But I've never seen so many people put their hands on their hearts. Hats off. I swear some people even got emotional. The lady who was singing did a great job but it's lipstick on a pig.
  • Delly must have been injured because I didn't see him, but you could see in the Jazz's struggles to score the impact the most tough, physical, competitive player the NBA has ever seen has had on the Kings.
  • Malik Monk pointed to me after his poster. I think he saw me during the warm-up.
  • Keegan Murray is up there with the best 3-point shooters of all-time.
  • Talen Horton-Tucker is only 22 but from I was sitting (and UiU got us awesome seats and covered the cost for mine, absolute legend, definitely hang out with him if you're in Salt Lake City) he looked old, short, fat and slow. But he was one of their better players.
  • Show me a person who understands a foul in basketball and I'll show you a liar.
  • Utah Jazz's mascot is a bear that rides a motorbike on the court. Very cool.
  • Don't like that there's music playing during the play. Australian sport has recently started incorporating this from American sport and I really dislike it.
  • It must have been very cool to be a Utahn (?) when they had Malone and Stockton and were really good. Smaller city, smaller market, but deeply passionate fans. Must have been a lot of fun, UiU says he has amazing memories of it.
  • All in all, an amazing win for the Kings, and given the Jazz are a top five seed across the competition, shows that perhaps my 72-10 prediction was perhaps a little short.

[*]You folks really like your fucking anthem, hey. I hate ours. But I've never seen so many people put their hands on their hearts. Hats off. I swear some people even got emotional. The lady who was singing did a great job but it's lipstick on a pig.

hell yes it's ridiculous, and canadians have to sit through two of those stupid songs before almost every sports event.

GREAT deal for Philly

I can't believe the Clippers gave up so much

Yeah, dare I say that this actually makes Philly a tad scary, well at least scary enough where I think the #1 seed will become very important (though last year it didn't matter because the Heat went on a tear).

Yeah, dare I say that this actually makes Philly a tad scary, well at least scary enough where I think the #1 seed will become very important (though last year it didn't matter because the Heat went on a tear).

clippers must have been scared of Chicago. I dunno why they included that first as unprotected. clippers could be in shambles in 2028.

philly got rid of the distraction in harden - made it clear that this is the Embiid / Maxey show (Maxey is a stud). And they did one of two things... they either increased their depth and shooting around Embiid, or, more likely, they have a bunch of tradable expiring contracts and picks that can be sent off later in the year for the next guy that comes available.

they also did a third thing here... they got themselves some insurance in case Embiid asks out.

This season is probably the Clip's last gasp with the PG-Kahwi combo. I think both of them are extension eligible and haven't been offered anything, which I take to mean if a big run doesn't happen this year, they will pull the plug on the experiment. So why not take a swing even if you overpay, because if it doesn't work out, you're in a lengthy rebuild anyway.

Ingles singlehandedly took down the Jazz tonight, cobbler. This Jazz team is pretty bad. Why couldn't they have been this bad last year?

So, in-season tournament set to begin. Interesting concept, although I’m not sure it’s going to drive more ratings for them. Other than that goal, what is the point exactly?
Well - it will drive ratings. Not necessarily tonight, but now you'll have single elimination games that will conceivably feature the top teams in the league in a few weeks taking the place of normal, ho hum regular season games. There will be a bump. The play in tournament has done well this far.

You're also trying to incentivize players to, ya know, play. Which is (has?) becoming a huge problem for the league.

But ultimately... it's about the TV deal and the potential corporate sponsor that will inevitably get tied to this event. Everything the league does is geared towards that.

They've experimented with this in the W and G leagues the past 5 years or so, and obviously soccer has done things like this for years.

Who knows whether it'll work or not. A lot will depend on the quality of these single elimination games.

ok that's gross

F-BPsiwWgAAtxhq

I'm glad the Harden saga is over, but the Sixers are still not where they need to be. They now have a team with zero plus passers or dribblers. Embiid and Maxey are a great starting point, and this opens up a lot more things offensively for Tobias Harris, but not having anyone who can really playmake will bite this team in the ass in the postseason. And even with some of the ammo they got from this deal with the Clippers, they are still relatively limited in that they either need to choose improving the depth (trading their glut of forwards for some guard help) or trying to get a third star. They really don't have enough to get both.

Nevermind
I had this thought heading into the season too, and they definitely need to go full tank for the 2025 draft, not 2024. But it does seem like the issue is just how bad Kuzma and Poole are when cast as the top two scoring options. Add in Wes Unseld Jr. continuing to be in over his head, and here you are.

Hopefully they at least play well enough to show off their veterans who can be had at the deadline. Jones, Wright, Gallinari, and Muscala are all no-brainer trade candidates.

I'm glad the Harden saga is over, but the Sixers are still not where they need to be. They now have a team with zero plus passers or dribblers. Embiid and Maxey are a great starting point, and this opens up a lot more things offensively for Tobias Harris, but not having anyone who can really playmake will bite this team in the ass in the postseason. And even with some of the ammo they got from this deal with the Clippers, they are still relatively limited in that they either need to choose improving the depth (trading their glut of forwards for some guard help) or trying to get a third star. They really don't have enough to get both.

A third star is not always a good thing. You severely limit your depth with a third max player. Philly should look to build more like Denver vs trying to grab a third max player imo.

I had this thought heading into the season too, and they definitely need to go full tank for the 2025 draft, not 2024. But it does seem like the issue is just how bad Kuzma and Poole are when cast as the top two scoring options. Add in Wes Unseld Jr. continuing to be in over his head, and here you are.

Hopefully they at least play well enough to show off their veterans who can be had at the deadline. Jones, Wright, Gallinari, and Muscala are all no-brainer trade candidates.

Yeaaaa I may have grossly underestimated Jordan Poole's lack of give a shit on defense.

WUJ staying on was a request of ownership, and I do agree that he never had a real chance with the prior regime, Brad, etc. he was set up for failure. There are stories I could share that have come out since the new management team was installed that baffle the mind.

But this far he's not exactly changing hearts and minds. If things keep going like this I have to imagine they'll make a change this off season. Can't have a coach talking about caring more on defense after the first game of the season.

I do absolutely think they'll be sellers at the deadline. Even Kuz has a very reasonable contract. Everyone but Bilal and possibly Deni is available, as they should be.

A third star is not always a good thing. You severely limit your depth with a third max player. Philly should look to build more like Denver vs trying to grab a third max player imo.
I generally agree with this, but my team's general manager is still Daryl Morey, so I'm mentally preparing myself.
Yeaaaa I may have grossly underestimated Jordan Poole's lack of give a shit on defense.

WUJ staying on was a request of ownership, and I do agree that he never had a real chance with the prior regime, Brad, etc. he was set up for failure. There are stories I could share that have come out since the new management team was installed that baffle the mind.

But this far he's not exactly changing hearts and minds. If things keep going like this I have to imagine they'll make a change this off season. Can't have a coach talking about caring more on defense after the first game of the season.

I do absolutely think they'll be sellers at the deadline. Even Kuz has a very reasonable contract. Everyone but Bilal and possibly Deni is available, as they should be.
Don't think any of this is inaccurate. And I'm not unlike you, I'm following the Wizards way more in my older age as my girlfriend is from DC (so I'm following all of their teams a lot more now). She has probably swayed me a bit as she is VERY down on WUJ, in no small part because she thinks he went out of his way to shun Hachimura before selling low on him. I agreed with her that just having him stand in the corner with the second unit was not a particularly good use of what he brings to the table. Then again, she's also just down on the whole organization after 30-some years of dogshit.

A few late responses to Cobbler's thoughts from Kings-Jazz game.

• You folks really like your fucking anthem, hey. I hate ours. But I've never seen so many people put their hands on their hearts. Hats off. I swear some people even got emotional. The lady who was singing did a great job but it's lipstick on a pig. Ha and Utah is probably one of the most patriotic places in the US (maybe 2nd to like Texas) still, I'm pretty sure I heard you singing along :wink:
  • Malik Monk pointed to me after his poster. I think he saw me during the warm-up. That was definitely the most exciting play of an otherwise not too entertaining game
  • Keegan Murray is up there with the best 3-point shooters of all-time. Jazz defense was horrible all game but yeah Murray is an up and coming star
  • Talen Horton-Tucker is only 22 but from I was sitting (and UiU got us awesome seats and covered the cost for mine, absolute legend, definitely hang out with him if you're in Salt Lake City) he looked old, short, fat and slow. But he was one of their better players. Agreed. Most Jazz fans hate THT. He's not a good fit with this current lineup
  • Utah Jazz's mascot is a bear that rides a motorbike on the court. Very cool. The original bear used to do crazy ass stunts too but they fired the original guy because the Jazz organization feared he or a fan were going to get killed.
  • Don't like that there's music playing during the play. Australian sport has recently started incorporating this from American sport and I really dislike it. I must be conditioned to it because I didn't even notice until you mentioned it
  • It must have been very cool to be a Utahn (?) when they had Malone and Stockton and were really good. Smaller city, smaller market, but deeply passionate fans. Must have been a lot of fun, UiU says he has amazing memories of it. It was an incredible time to grow up with the Jazz making it further and further in the playoffs every year as the 90's went on and culminating in the two Finals appearances. (Jordan pushed off :D)
  • All in all, an amazing win for the Kings, and given the Jazz are a top five seed across the competition, shows that perhaps my 72-10 prediction was perhaps a little short. Haha so far the Jazz are looking bottom 5. Wish we could have given you a more competitive game, the arena atmosphere can get really intense during a back and forth game, unfortunately because of the Kings domination, the locals didn't have much to cheer about.

Overall, I'm glad you could make it to a game with me! The spirit of Delly was most certainly in the building and guided the Kings to a dominant victory.

Last edited:

I can think of a player you need...

A few late responses to Cobbler's thoughts from Kings-Jazz game.

• You folks really like your fucking anthem, hey. I hate ours. But I've never seen so many people put their hands on their hearts. Hats off. I swear some people even got emotional. The lady who was singing did a great job but it's lipstick on a pig. Ha and Utah is probably one of the most patriotic places in the US (maybe 2nd to like Texas) still, I'm pretty sure I heard you singing along :wink:
  • Malik Monk pointed to me after his poster. I think he saw me during the warm-up. That was definitely the most exciting play of an otherwise not too entertaining game
  • Keegan Murray is up there with the best 3-point shooters of all-time. Jazz defense was horrible all game but yeah Murray is an up and coming star
  • Talen Horton-Tucker is only 22 but from I was sitting (and UiU got us awesome seats and covered the cost for mine, absolute legend, definitely hang out with him if you're in Salt Lake City) he looked old, short, fat and slow. But he was one of their better players. Agreed. Most Jazz fans hate THT. He's not a good fit with this current lineup
  • Utah Jazz's mascot is a bear that rides a motorbike on the court. Very cool. The original bear used to do crazy ass stunts too but they fired the original guy because the Jazz organization feared he or a fan were going to get killed.
  • Don't like that there's music playing during the play. Australian sport has recently started incorporating this from American sport and I really dislike it. I must be conditioned to it because I didn't even notice until you mentioned it
  • It must have been very cool to be a Utahn (?) when they had Malone and Stockton and were really good. Smaller city, smaller market, but deeply passionate fans. Must have been a lot of fun, UiU says he has amazing memories of it. It was an incredible time to grow up with the Jazz making it further and further in the playoffs every year as the 90's went on and culminating in the two Finals appearances. (Jordan pushed off :D)
  • All in all, an amazing win for the Kings, and given the Jazz are a top five seed across the competition, shows that perhaps my 72-10 prediction was perhaps a little short. Haha so far the Jazz are looking bottom 5. Wish we could have given you a more competitive game, the arena atmosphere can get really intense during a back and forth game, unfortunately because of the Kings domination, the locals didn't have much to cheer about.

Overall, I'm glad you could make it to a game with me! The spirit of Delly was most certainly in the building and guided the Kings to a dominant victory.

Please tell me more about the fired mascot.

And folks, it's quite funny going to a game in SLC, the arena's wifi is literally called 'JordanPushedOff' hahaha.

I generally agree with this, but my team's general manager is still Daryl Morey, so I'm mentally preparing myself.

Don't think any of this is inaccurate. And I'm not unlike you, I'm following the Wizards way more in my older age as my girlfriend is from DC (so I'm following all of their teams a lot more now). She has probably swayed me a bit as she is VERY down on WUJ, in no small part because she thinks he went out of his way to shun Hachimura before selling low on him. I agreed with her that just having him stand in the corner with the second unit was not a particularly good use of what he brings to the table. Then again, she's also just down on the whole organization after 30-some years of dogshit.

well - i can say this. the usage of Rui (and Deni while we're at it) was less WUJ and more Tommy/Brad. That's what Brad wanted, so that's how they played. You can already see that they're not playing the same way on offense this year with both of those guys gone. WUJ was put in a bad spot by taking over a team of vets - one of which was given the keys to the kingdom (undeservedly) like he was LeBron or something.

the offense looks better (Kuz and Poole's ISO heavy garbage aside). Deni is moving more, which takes advantage of his play making ability. if he continues to play the way he's playing right now that contract extension they just signed him to is going to look like an absolute bargain in 2-3 years. people forget that Deni is still just 22 years old.

what worries me so much about WUJ is the defense. he's a great dude and i'd love to see him succeed - but if he can't get the team to play better defense then he's nothing more than a seat warmer.

re: Rui - sigh.. he's fool's gold. he looks the part, and occasionally shows the part - but he doesn't have that internal motor inside to do it consistently enough to actually be anything more than what he is. he's like a poverty Anthony Davis. he shows you enough from time to time to make him think he's going to be a good player, but just doesn't have the fire inside him to do it night in and night out.

Back
Top Bottom