My Grammy Predictions Part III - Song of the Year

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Fan101

Refugee
SONG OF THE YEAR

NOMINATIONS
? "Drops of Jupiter," Charlie Colin, Rob Hotchkiss, Pat Monahan, Jimmy Stafford and Scott Underwood (Train)
? "Fallin'," Alicia Keys (Alicia Keys)
? "I'm Like a Bird," Nelly Furtado (Nelly Furtado)
? "Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out Of," U2 (U2)
? "Video," India.Arie, Carlos "Six July" Broady and Shannon Sanders (India.Arie)

?Drops of Jupiter?. A fine song indeed. This is one of those songs that I really have a lot of likeness for and one that will go down in history as one of the greats (which Train is becoming). What?s going for it? The fact that it is a bad-ass song with great lyrics, piano and even a string arrangement (I?m a sucker for classical music). What?s going against it? To be honest with, nothing really. I guess just U2.

?Fallin??. A great song and great artist. A savoir to R&B so to speak. What?s going for it? What I just said. What?s going against it? Train and U2.

?I?m Like a Bird?. Nelly is one of those artists that at times I like, at times I get annoyed with. In terms of the pros in her song, it?s good. But in my opinion, that?s all it is and I don?t think it should have been nominated for Song of the Year. There are many others that should have won this over her. What?s going for it? New sound. What?s going against it? Would you really want this song to be the song of the year? I sure as hell wouldn?t.

?Stuck in a Moment You Can?t Get Out Of?. All biased opinions aside: great song. However, Walk On would have been a better nomination for song of the year, but it?s ok. I?m happy U2 is nominated for this award. What?s going for it? A kickass song that has gotten popular over this year. What?s going against it? Train. (I see the train and the spy plane will be colliding here)

?Video?. Brand new artist and song, very unique sound and quality is there. What?s going for it? The fact that we haven?t heard of anything like this before and we love it. What is against it? I?ve never heard of this band and not too many people have either

WHO SHOULD WIN: U2.

WHO WILL WIN: Train.

The lyrics to Drops of Jupiter are so lame, how could that compare to Walk On and all it means?

------------------
"Walk On, stay safe tonight"

Originally posted by U2Fan101:

?Drops of Jupiter?. A fine song indeed. This is one of those songs that I really have a lot of likeness for and one that will go down in history as one of the greats (which Train is becoming). What?s going for it? The fact that it is a bad-ass song with great lyrics, piano and even a string arrangement (I?m a sucker for classical music). What?s going against it? To be honest with, nothing really. I guess just U2.

I don't agree with this statement. The song is a good song, although the lyrics are a little lame, but neither the song, or the band will go down as one of the greats. Every year dozens of rock bands come out with new songs, and most of them are forgotten. I really don't think that we will know, or care about Train, Creed, Nickelback, Default etc, in two years!

------------------
Official Dog-Walker of the ScottPhisto Society

I don't mean to be arrogant, but ...I do feel that we are meant to be one of the great groups. - Bono, Rolling Stone, 1981

Originally posted by U2Fan101:
SONG OF THE YEAR

?Drops of Jupiter?. A fine song indeed. This is one of those songs that I really have a lot of likeness for and one that will go down in history as one of the greats (which Train is becoming).

While I thought this was one of the best songs of the year, I seriously doubt it will go down in history as one of the greats - and doubt even more that Train is becoming one of the greats as well. They are great at being middle-of-the-road, and perfect music to listen to in the salon when getting your hair cut.
wink.gif

k, I reaaaaaaaaaly hope that Train doesn't win with that horrible song

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Originally posted by Salome:
k, I reaaaaaaaaaly hope that Train doesn't win with that horrible song

i agree

------------------

you can try the best you can
you can try the best you can
the best you can is good enough

I like this award-by-award analysis!

But I have a hard time believing that India.Arie hasn't won a single nomination of the 3 you've covered yet. With 7 nominations, she's (they're?) bound to win one.

Train had a very commercially successful song in Drops of Jupiter, but that doesn't mean jack when it comes to the grammy's. Look at Beautiful Day last year...outside of heavy U2 markets, the song was hardly played at all until AFTER it won the three Grammys!

"she checks out Mozart while she does Tae-Bo, reminds me that there's room to grow, hey heyyyyy"

rolleyes.gif

Sorry, but this song is background noise, imho. Certainly not a contender for best song of the year. (Or at least it shouldn't be).

-sula

I too love this award by award analysis..

A lot of ya'll say that the record/song of the year go together pretty much most of the time.. And Ya kno.. we all said the same thing last year with B. Day.. BUt i sooooo hope tha tU2 wins this one.. I forget at teh moment.. is Song of the year the 'lyrics'.. songwriting?..

Anyways, I do have a feeling that Keys will get it.. Along with best new artist.. I'm not too sure that train will win it.. cuz I think if rock wins it.. u2 would, I mean, I'm definitely hoping u2 wins it, but I guess i'm being swayed that the grammy's wouldn't give u2 the same award two years in a row.. But honestly, I do believe it deserves it.. The same for Walk On.. But I'll get to that in the other thread...

GO SIAMYCGOO

Hah.. only a u2 fan would know what that meant

Back
Top Bottom