Muse Cont'd.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

U2Fanatic4ever

Blue Crack Addict
let's continue shall we...?

mattonknee.jpg

They showed Muse live from Abbey Road studio on TV last night! :love: I've already seen the performances on YouTube but it was nice to be able to watch them on a bigger screen.

My Mum said that Dom reminded her of Ringo a little bit because he's "just as dorky", :)

Bloody hell! Knights of Cydonia won Triple JJJ Hottest 100 Competition for 2008, beating Silverchair to the top spot by just 13 votes! :dancing:

For non-Australians, Triple JJJ is a radio station which runs this competition every year. I was so sure that Silverchair would win it with "Straight Lines"! Yay for boys!

Saracene said:
Bloody hell! Knights of Cydonia won Triple JJJ Hottest 100 Competition for 2008, beating Silverchair to the top spot by just 13 votes! :dancing:

For non-Australians, Triple JJJ is a radio station which runs this competition every year. I was so sure that Silverchair would win it with "Straight Lines"! Yay for boys!

Saw this thread and my first thought was the JJJ Hottest 100! Well it deserves at least some attention here..

I like Silverchair and Straight Lines is great but Knights is genius. For some reason I had the impression though that the song had been around for long enough that it would have qualified for the 2006/2007 Hottest 100, but apparently not. Anyway, it was cool that they got to speak with one of the guys (Dom?) to congratulate them, and really gracious of him to pass along his congrats to the runner-up. 13 votes, not much in it..

P.S. Saw your website, I used to be addicted to Ultima back in the day, especially during study times. :drool:

Saracene said:

I was very pleased with this! Good to see the country has some taste.

Last edited:
Arcadion said:

Haha, where do you reckon my username is from :)

Hehe cool! I remember the mess you made in Serpent Isle after being released. :p

And by that I mean Muse are really great. :shifty:

Any others? I think we can take this thread, the Muse fans have gone into hibernation.. :shh:

Zihua said:
For some reason I had the impression though that the song had been around for long enough that it would have qualified for the 2006/2007 Hottest 100, but apparently not.

I've seen a few people grumble about a 2006 song winning, but it was released as a single in 2007, so it was eligible for that year. Can I just say that you couldn't have picked a more polar opposite winner to last year's "One Crowded Hour" (which I also love)? :)

...and now that Muse content is out of the way...

I'm happy to meet fellow Ultima lovers, :) I've been a fan since I was 13 years old or so, I've got many fond memories playing it in Russia with the English dictionary by my side. Has any of you guys been a member of Ultima Dragons club by any chance?

Saracene said:

I've seen a few people grumble about a 2006 song winning, but it was released as a single in 2007, so it was eligible for that year. Can I just say that you couldn't have picked a more polar opposite winner to last year's "One Crowded Hour" (which I also love)? :)

Yeah I think it's fair that KoC had a run for 2007, otherwise it would've missed out completely. It's funny to look back at the early years of the Hottest 100 where the voting was for all-time favourite songs - lots of overlap and virtually identical top 10's. Boring!

Saracene said:

I'm happy to meet fellow Ultima lovers, :) I've been a fan since I was 13 years old or so, I've got many fond memories playing it in Russia with the English dictionary by my side. Has any of you guys been a member of Ultima Dragons club by any chance?

What a great way to learn English, starting with 'name', 'job', and 'bye'. The copy protection bits would've been tough though, wouldn't they? You know, where they ask you to look up the Book of Lore (?) and whatnot. That is really cool though, I'll bet the writers would be chuffed if they heard your story. Now if only there were Spanish language editions that I could re-play and use the same idea..

I joined the Dragons community but never became active within it, probably less active than I am here. :/ It seemed like fun but I think I also signed up around the time that my interest was on the wane, some time after Pagan. Also that damned web page was never updated, just look at it, it's caught in a time capsule or something. :)

.. So was it good fun, the Dragons?

Oh and my Muse contribution is that I snapped up a cheap copy of Origin of Symmetry in JB, and am loving it. Bliss is otherworldly..

Zihua said:

Hehe cool! I remember the mess you made in Serpent Isle after being released. :p
I was a bloody awesome weapon though :)

Saracene said:

Nah, was going to but it didn't end up happening. Would love to play the entire series again, 1-9 and of course the UWs. Can't seem to get 7 & 8 running well in XP however. So anyway, how bout this solo @ 3:30?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=U5lNAUrGJ3k

Zihua said:
What a great way to learn English, starting with 'name', 'job', and 'bye'. The copy protection bits would've been tough though, wouldn't they? You know, where they ask you to look up the Book of Lore (?) and whatnot.

Well, I studied English at school so it wasn't like learning it from scratch, but even with the dictionary the dialogue still left me mighty confused for a lot of the time, :) The copy protection thing drove me mad for while because I had no manual :shifty: (hey, back in 1993 there was no way you could get a legal version in bloody Siberia!) and I was stuck in Trinsic for ages before my Dad got us a cracked copy.

Zihua said:
.. So was it good fun, the Dragons?

I'm actually still a member and still post in the newsgroup occasionally. Naturally since the series are long over the posts have dwindled to a trickle, but I hang around, mostly for sentimental reasons and good company of the long-time members. Back in the days it was an awesome internet community, despite the occasional flame wars and all.

And... that version of New Born is wicked, but my favourite live performance of the song is still this one. Mostly because of Matt going nutty nuts with the riffage at the end:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Fh5RcnzSM4E

It's interesting, sometimes I get a feeling that Matt does all that rock god stuff as a bit of a laugh, and other times he seems to be doing it simply because he's totally lost in a performance and just needs to let all that energy out.

Saracene said:

Well, I studied English at school so it wasn't like learning it from scratch, but even with the dictionary the dialogue still left me mighty confused for a lot of the time, :) The copy protection thing drove me mad for while because I had no manual :shifty: (hey, back in 1993 there was no way you could get a legal version in bloody Siberia!) and I was stuck in Trinsic for ages before my Dad got us a cracked copy.

I'm actually still a member and still post in the newsgroup occasionally. Naturally since the series are long over the posts have dwindled to a trickle, but I hang around, mostly for sentimental reasons and good company of the long-time members. Back in the days it was an awesome internet community, despite the occasional flame wars and all.

And... that version of New Born is wicked, but my favourite live performance of the song is still this one. Mostly because of Matt going nutty nuts with the riffage at the end:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Fh5RcnzSM4E

It's interesting, sometimes I get a feeling that Matt does all that rock god stuff as a bit of a laugh, and other times he seems to be doing it simply because he's totally lost in a performance and just needs to let all that energy out.

i get the feeling about matt too. Sometimes it looks like he is being mr rock god on purpose... others (90 percent of the time) he is definitely so so into it that is what he projects/the passion, emotion of it all.

Saracene said:

If only you'd stumbled across that cheat teleport in Trinsic. You know, the one that gave you all the game items and.. yeah, pretty much spoiled the entire game... nevermind. ;) In hindsight I wish that I'd discovered Ultima a bit later, my fanaticism had sort of died down before I even had access to the internet. But, to this day I still have all those old Ultima boxes (even Ascension) stashed away whereas I've long since offloaded everything else. Must be sentimental favourites..

Which is to say, those were totally inhuman performances of New Born. :ohmy: I think Matt & the crowd just feed off each other, and lucky for us most of that adrenaline ends up in his fingers. :)

Also, how is this for a home-made cover? http://youtube.com/watch?v=V5mQrIRHBuk

And this is an interesting take on Time is Running Out: http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ysi5MIpvj9M

I am in no way affiliated with these guys. :p

Total U2 Nut said:
http://www.he-3.mu/ :combust:

Fuckaduck. It's incredible. The CD will be from the 16th (I was there!!) and the DVD from the 17th. It's released over here on March 17th. I cannot WAIT. :hyper: :hyper:

:yippie: :hyper: :combust:

just in time for my birthday!

my only worry is when and if it comes out in NTSC/Region 0 format for the US.

Has anyone seen anything about whether it's releasing here in the US?

Saracene said:

Map of the Problematique piano instrumental:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=tv89MJOOz5E

What a performance, she is a virtuoso! I love cover versions. Well, good ones that is, thank goodness for YouTube ratings. ;)

Arcadion said:

I actually liked U9 but I can see how some wouldn't...

How did you find it compared to the earlier Ultimas? Speaking of which, check out dosbox.com if you want to run them in XP. Sorry, meant to mention it earlier.

Zihua said:

What a performance, she is a virtuoso! I love cover versions. Well, good ones that is, thank goodness for YouTube ratings. ;)

How did you find it compared to the earlier Ultimas? Speaking of which, check out dosbox.com if you want to run them in XP. Sorry, meant to mention it earlier.

Not as good as 5 & 7 I thought. Thanks for the link I'll give it a go!

martha said:
I ran out of cds in the spinner on the way home from Petco this afternoon, and KROQ played a three song block of Muse. :rockon:

I never hear Muse on the commercial radio where I live, except for when Nova played Time Is Running Out quite frequently a few years ago. These were the times when Matt's voice still scraped across my nerves like a rusty saw, so I'd change the station promptly, ;)

With Ultima IX, I thought it was a decent game on its own terms but as an Ultima game it was a huge letdown. Glaring inconsistances with the series' history, boring NPCs, repetitive plot, horrible love interest, and don't start me on Guardian's new look.

Saracene said:

That's a very nice cover! Thanks for posting. This guy even does Matt's sharp intakes of breath, :wink:

Time is Running Out by four cellos:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=FYZNqShcU1I

Map of the Problematique piano instrumental:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=tv89MJOOz5E

...and I'd like to add that I'm still heartbroken by how crappy Ultima IX turned out to be, :grumpy:

I prefer the chunky sexy Korg arpeggiator to be honest
http://youtube.com/watch?v=SIBt9khDfsg&feature=related

LISTEN TO IT

now OBEY IT :drool: :drool:

I've never been so happy to own a region-free DVD player. Import purchase, here I come! :drool:

They had the import listed on Amazon.com, and it was under $30. :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom