Movie Reviews Part the 12th: Does Gimli hate file conversions as well? Stay tuned!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I really, really liked Another Earth. Looked cheaply made, but part of its charm, I guess. It was nice to see sci-fi that dealt more with the themes raised by the concept than the technology/fantastic elements themselves. And it's refreshing compared to the usual Sundance fare.

The star and co-writer Brit Marling is definitely one to watch. Very impressed with her work here. And she's not unpleasant to look at, either.

I hope this opens wider so more people get a chance to see it.

‪Another Earth Movie Trailer Official (HD)‬‏ - YouTube

Either way is fine with me...

91642.jpg

I caught Another Earth at SXSW. Wasn't as big on it as Laz, but it was a solid take on an otherwise ridiculous sci-fi conceit. Her other co-written feature, Sound of My Voice, seems more to my speed.

Britt Marling's super cute in person.

So, Rise of the Planet of the Apes, could have been a popcorn masterpiece with a better screenplay and a longer runtime, as it is though it's still a surprise of the summer. Yes, this is very much the apes' story, but it bugged me a lot that we didnt know more about the human characters, and pretty much each one of them seems like they had a sceneor two deleted that would have filled us in. People give James Franco a lot of crap, and I will admit he phones in 3 performances for every strong one he turns in, but while he isnt remarkable here, he and Lithgow are the only human characters with any emotion and he isn't given much to work with. Also while Tom Felton plays his role well, I can't help but think taking that role was a mistake. After instilling some much needed pathos into his Draco Malfoy in the last 3 Harry Potter films, he's back to playing a deranged 2D kid, he's a strong actor and needs to find a more sympathetic role if he's to continue in Hollywood. My disappointment is strengthened by the idea that they're going to set up a franchise where the audience is supposed to root for humanity, when the groundwork is laid here for you to be on the apes' side all along. There are however, many great homages throughout.

The direction of the action was well done, but the style of the film itself is nondescript, it's only the effects and Andy Serkis' performance that capture your attention. I seriously can't help but wonder what Scott Frank's version was going to be like, obviously they took their cues from his screenplay, but in the end he isn't even credited as a writer. He was also the original director for this, and considering how much potential he showed with The Lookout, I bet he would have made this even better than it was.

I think I'm pointing out the negatives too much here, there is a lot of upside, it's just one of those cases where you could see how it could be so much more, only made worse bynknowledge of the history of inferior talent replacing the original crew. Kind of what I'm expecting with Moneyball as well.

Bridesmaids 8.0/10 - I was expecting it to be crappy but it turned out okay. It was weird seeing an Apatow version of a chick flick. The food poisoning scene was a lot more funny than I expected. What I was surprised by was that I actually liked the characters. There are some dead spots in parts but the good stuff was spread out enough to keep it from being lopsided.

BTW Britt Marling looks like Madeleine Stowe and Julliette Binoche. :drool:

Sucker Punch was a total piece of crap. Some of the music raised it from being "piece of shit" to "piece of crap."

Thankfully, Everything Is Illuminated was a wonderful palate cleanser.

See i knew Sucker Punch was going to be train wreck garbage from the start, but that didn't stop my friends and I from having a blast watching it in IMAX, there's so much insanity and visual wonder going on that it definitely qualifies as so bad it's good, probably the most expensive so bad it's good movie ever made for me.

And yeah, scantily clad hot girls kicking ass does help the enjoyment, but one of my friends who had the best time with it is a straight girl, so that's not requisite.

It looked like some eye candy fun when I saw the trailers, and then I heard the god-awful reviews .... but still decided I wanted to see it, just to see for myself.

I found very little to like about it.

It's a conceit that's been done many times (escaping a harsh reality in a fantasy) and better almost every other time. It also could have been better if we saw more of the reality of the asylum, instead it was almost treating the first layer of fantasy (the strip club) as reality.

We could always use more stomach vaginas.

No, I thought the movie was awesome. I definitely haven't got the slightest clue what happened, as in, what was real and what wasn't. The IMDb boards are of no use, and any write ups I've seen are a bit too clinical for me to really feel like reading atm.

I actually think that might have been the first Cronenberg movie I've seen, not sure.

*checks*

Nope, I've seen Crash (*shudder*) and most of The Dead Zone. May have seen The Fly when I was younger, but I can't recall now.

Not much of a fan of Cronie's Crash. The Fly is fucking bonkers awesome though.

I'd recommend checking out Naked Lunch or Dead Ringers for some more of his intellectually inclined freak-outs. And of course A History of Violence which remains the best thing he's done in years.

I hate Crash, I only watched it because I was on a James Spader kick and it sounded weird. It's not a love/hate kind of thing for me.

I really need to see A History of Violence. I think I might even own it. Jesus.

Beginners:

beginners.jpg

Directed by Mike Mills the guy who directed Thumbsucker

Unnecessarily arthousey... but is nicely shot and the acting is ok

2 and a half stars out of 5

Sucker Punch was a total piece of crap. Some of the music raised it from being "piece of shit" to "piece of crap."

Was between Sucker Punch and Source Code for a rental tonight...hadn't seen your glowing review, but went with Source Code anyway...sounds like I made the right choice.

I've gotta say that I've come to admire the modern Cronenberg a lot more than the batshit Cronenberg of old. Each of those films is compelling the first time you watch them, but with the exception of The Fly, I never really have the urge to watch them again. A History of Violence and Eastern Promises are enduring and endlessly watchable though.

Man, just saw Midnight In Paris. Definitely one of my favorite movies of the year so far. Absolutely loved it.

Had no clue that it was a fantasy/time travel movie. No clue whatsoever. Coming in to it, I guess I had assumed the whole thing would be set in modern day, and that it would be about Owen Wilson and Rachel McAdams falling in love instead of realizing that they don't love each other.

All the stuff set in the '20s was just great...all the performances great. The dude who played Hemingway was a fucking riot, probably my favorite "character" in the movie. Cotillard, Brody, Bates, etc...good shit. Michael Sheen was hilarious as the intellectual asshole, too.

Also, it's one of those movies that makes me want to go out and party and drink to excess and have a good time. So, that's always good.

Well, yeah.

But I guess what I'm trying to say is that I was sucked up into the whole romantic atmosphere of the film. I've never traveled to Europe, so an hour and a half of that Parisian decadence got to me.

It's a very intoxicating movie.

What did you think of it? I'm sure you've posted something already, but I probably wouldn't be able to find it.

It came out at the same time as Tree of Life and I was only able to see one of them.

Then I figured I would just wait until it hit the cheap theatre. Didn't expect it to be such a big hit. So it's still in the first run locations.

Seems dumb now to pay full price for a movie that's been out for 2 months.

:twocents:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom