More new U2 album discussion!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OMG, I can't believe people here loved Vertigo that much back then :shocked:

It's cause it is a great fucking song. Being overplayed (even by the band themselves) likely led to the dislike.

The song rocks, is incredibly catchy and radio friendly, yet still has (pun alert) an edge to it. It was a perfect single.

As for those who are speculating about U2 doing something "different" with this first single? Sure, different in terms of release and hype perhaps. But make no mistake... after the disaster that was Boots, the first single off this album will be VERY radio friendly.

Considering it's Danger Mouse... think something in the style of Black Keys' Tighten Up. That's what I'm expecting.

Speaking of that... Danger Mouse tends to include some strange sounds and effects in his producing, which aren't always the easiest to reproduce live. I remember seeing the Black Keys open for Pearl Jam and the breakdown part of Tighten Up was very different than on the album. I wonder if perhaps that's what the delay is about... U2 trying to figure out how to play some of these songs in a live setting.

Even if the tour isn't until 2014, they're likely going to have to do some publicity performances upon releasing the single and album.

Wow, I totally remember that day. It was a Saturday, and I spent most of the day at a car wash fundraiser for our youth group at church. I came home that afternoon, got online, and found all of this. :hyper:

Funny thing about that day, the first song I listened to from that album was "One Step Closer" because I thought I opened up "Miracle Drug" but clicked the wrong one. I remember thinking how odd of a choice they made for the 2nd track, especially after Vertigo.

I definitely was one of those who had a really strong positive reaction. Months later it was followed by major burnout though. In returning to the album again recently, I do like it. It's not the strongest album of theirs but not nearly as bad as some people make it out to be.

Funny thing about that day, the first song I listened to from that album was "One Step Closer" because I thought I opened up "Miracle Drug" but clicked the wrong one.

That's really weird. "One Step Closer" was also the first song (other than Vertigo) I listened to. I was a teenager at the time, and for a reason I'll never understand, I listened to the tracks in a random order- not understanding the value of listening to an album, you know, as intended. And something about the title "One Step Closer" intrigued me. After that I recall listening to OOTS, and then I forget the order after that.

That's really weird. "One Step Closer" was also the first song (other than Vertigo) I listened to. I was a teenager at the time, and for a reason I'll never understand, I listened to the tracks in a random order- not understanding the value of listening to an album, you know, as intended. And something about the title "One Step Closer" intrigued me. After that I recall listening to OOTS, and then I forget the order after that.

LOL! That is crazy! I actually still really like the song too. It's very simple, but one of the more relaxing, enjoyable songs of the 00's, imo.

I keep saying we won't get an announcement for another 2 weeks or so. That leaves plenty of time for a September single and Oct/Nov album. I won't start worrying until we hit August 15 or so.

hourglass+empty.jpg

If that's true, and of course we should all be highly suspicious of it, then I would think it would be referring to the release date of the lead single.

A September 1 album release is WAAAAAAAAAY too soon at this point. Especially for U2. Not enough promo time.

It seems too soon even for the single release at this point, too.

Then again, this is some random middle aged woman with 726 twitter followers so IT PROBABLY IS TRUE.

SOUND THE HOUNDS. RING THE ALARM.

If that's true, and of course we should all be highly suspicious of it, then I would think it would be referring to the release date of the lead single.

A September 1 album release is WAAAAAAAAAY too soon at this point. Especially for U2. Not enough promo time.

It seems too soon even for the single release at this point, too.

Then again, this is some random middle aged woman with 726 twitter followers so IT PROBABLY IS TRUE.

SOUND THE HOUNDS. RING THE ALARM.
Lol I see she just tweeted again that the single will be out in September! But I find it so funny that all these very random people who no one of us ever heard of claim to know all this info! I guess I should also tweet that I heard the album and single. I'll believe it when u2 or management or someone close to them says something.

The single coming out on September 1 doesn't strike me as a totally impossible scenario, though I'd expect a few weeks later. Regardless... we're getting close.

The single coming out on September 1 doesn't strike me as a totally impossible scenario, though I'd expect a few weeks later. Regardless... we're getting close.

Or could they, *gasp*, take the 'Bowie' scenario a step further and release the whole thing at once without warning?

... AND BE HAILED AS HEROES! :lol:

The edge's cousin has a twitter now? It's not just a picture of the edge with Jennifer aniston's hair anymore?

I had a quick look at her profile and it looks like she really is Edge's cousin. No idea if she actually has "insider" knowledge but... I think I believe her. :hmm:

Those rumors seemed very unlikely anyway.

Ciara is Edge's cousin. She lives in the UK and works for Mencap, a charity for children with learning disability. She's a friend of British radio journalist Jo Wiley who's also a friend of the band. The two of them got U2 to perform in Islington for Mencap in 2008. She has been active on twitter for some time now. HOWEVER sometimes she seems to be more of a fan girl than a relative, but she surely has access to Edge, there are some pictures floating around of them together at various ocassions. Don't know how close they are or if she really knows things about the album, though :shrug:

I can understand Matt's frustration but most of the reason people visit the site is to get new album information and the band is even more quiet than before so fans are more irritable and desperate. If the album is delayed for next year it will be excruciating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom