More new U2 album discussion!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think any wholesale setlist changes on a nightly basis would inevitably mean Bono forgetting/fucking up lyrics. "Love is blindness/ I don't wanna see/ hmm ohh yeah yeah me" and such like. So yeah, I think the most they'd do is small surgical changes to an otherwise well-drilled show.

But of course, he needs to be Superman and memorize 60+ songs for us fans every night... :doh:

At least he's not using an iPad like some other singers have been in recent years. To be fair, a lot of them are getting older and probably do need something like that for even a 20-song set. But at least some like Bono are still pulling it off plenty without them.

But of course, he needs to be Superman and memorize 60+ songs for us fans every night... :doh:

At least he's not using an iPad like some other singers have been in recent years. To be fair, a lot of them are getting older and probably do need something like that for even a 20-song set. But at least some like Bono are still pulling it off plenty without them.

No, he just uses a giant teleprompter hidden in one of the stage monitors.

... and still fucks up the words.

I'll believe this "vast, varying setlists" thing when I see it. I'm not sure they're capable of doing it. If they are, why haven't they done it already?

Varied set list nights -- one idea for Night Three.

Digital Request Night.

Purchase U2 app for $1.99 and vote for the songs during the show.

Massive digital board display the votes and comments live.

Each person in the stands gets say two votes vote while each person watching on the live stream @ $3.99 gets one vote.

The Stones did this in 1997, albeit through their website, not a mobile app.

Fans who had purchased a ticket could vote for a song which they wanted to hear. If a song was picked by the web vote 4 shows in a row it became a permanent part of the set list ("Gimme Shelter" was added early on in the tour and "Under My Thumb" came one shy of 4 on 6 occasions, but never was requested for 4 consecutive shows).

I believe they brought it back for this current "tour."

Implying it isn't there already?

:cute: Aww.

:uhoh: If you've not seen this place right before the new album, I suggest you run. You run far, far away from here until at least a month or two after the album was dropped. It ain't pretty.

He wrote the goddamn songs himself, how hard is it to remember them if most of them have been played on a nightly basis on tours ever since they were written? Sorry but I find the large amount no excuse. We fans remember most words as well, and we didn't even write them! It's not that he forgets some lyrics to a rare song, he even fucks up songs like One, SBS and pride. What's your reasoning behind that then? :shrug:

I'll believe this "vast, varying setlists" thing when I see it. I'm not sure they're capable of doing it. If they are, why haven't they done it already?
Why wouldn't they be capable of it? They just need to rehearse more.

They probably haven't done because they want to play the perfect show each time.

While interesting - they guy has 695 tweets and 29 followers. He may be trying things to boost his numbers.

yeah he didnt reply to my questions either.. probably just heard that Aslan cover and thought it was the new U2

No, he just uses a giant teleprompter hidden in one of the stage monitors.

... and still fucks up the words.

I figured that might be something they do have around the stage, but at least he's not standing still most of the time, you know?

He wrote the goddamn songs himself, how hard is it to remember them if most of them have been played on a nightly basis on tours ever since they were written? Sorry but I find the large amount no excuse. We fans remember most words as well, and we didn't even write them! It's not that he forgets some lyrics to a rare song, he even fucks up songs like One, SBS and pride. What's your reasoning behind that then? :shrug:

I was more referring to the songs they never play or haven't even heard on their own in 10-30 years, but I wouldn't know why they screw up from time to time. Maybe it just happens? :| I'm guessing if Edge can miss a note or Larry misses a snare hit from time to time, Bono can miss a line or two as well.

Plus, to be fair, it's not like he's the only lead singer that misses word from time to time. Just about every band I've ever seen more than once as had times where the lead singer got confused at some point, and then either we'd have to remind them where to sing or the drummer would come in and start singing for them. A lot of them were the 'popular' songs too. Thankfully, it's never been a colossal mess-up, which is a good thing.

I can only imagine what it'd be like for the band if they actually were spontaneous or took requests... would we all be up in arms if Bono screwed up the lyrics then and "ruined" the experience?

I've got some inside knowledge...I was in a bar in the south of France the other day and Bono was there, it was a really hot day and he was dressed in black as usual, jeans too...anyway, I overheard him talking... the new album is going to be called The Mulberry Bush and they're going to follow it up with a semi-live album a year later called Jingle and Jangle...

I've got some inside knowledge...I was in a bar in the south of France the other day and Bono was there, it was a really hot day and he was dressed in black as usual, jeans too...anyway, I overheard him talking... the new album is going to be called The Mulberry Bush and they're going to follow it up with a semi-live album a year later called Jingle and Jangle...

it'll be critical dissapointment, until their 2016 release Caution, Child changes everything

It's the adrenalin, he's in the emotion.

It's unfair to judge someone without being in his shoes at least once. I'm sure B doesn't do it on purpose, it just happens.

He's got a special brain, and remembering lyrics isn't a strong suit. We wouldn't really want him to be different anyway- it's all part of the package of who he is.

Why wouldn't they be capable of it? They just need to rehearse more.

They probably haven't done because they want to play the perfect show each time.

Both things. Bono HATES rehearsal and they like to get a setlist they feel works and is "perfect" flow wise and makes the "majority" of the crowd happy.

That is why I said, at best, they are capable of coming up with 2 or 3 setlists that are different (in order and several different songs). But full out massive off the cuff setlist changes each night I just do not see happening. U2 just does not perform live like that and they never have. Can that change? Sure, but still very unlikely IMO.

ever perform in front of sixty thousand people?

It feels so bizarre that new U2 music may be just around the corner. Maybe that's because the No Line era still seems to incredibly recent to me. Maybe because this is my second time through, and the first time through came without memories of the recency of the Bomb era. But I remember things like endless leak pun threads, the actual leak of the album, listening to GOYB endlessly when it came out (I've always really liked the song), my friends' reactions to the album, skipping school to buy tickets on presale, and seeing some amazing shows so well. All of it is so fresh that it's hard to believe we're sweeping that under the rug and moving to another era of U2. NLOTH's era was incredibly special for me. I hope this one comes close.

Exactly the same feelings for me. NLOTH was the first album launch that I followed; I spend hours trying to clean up the beach clips audio. It might actually be nice this time around if there are no leaks, and the album or single just drops on us. I remember reading the pre-release descriptions of the songs in (I belive) Q magazine, and then actualy listening to the album and finding I had pre-concieved a completly different thought on how the album would sound. I still liked it, but having a clean slate going in would be really nice. But I know I can't keep myslef away from spoilers or "beach clips" untill it comes out. So yeah. I really hope they just drop it!

ever perform in front of sixty thousand people?

I think another reason is that we, as fans, listen to the songs over and over, over a long period of time. I don't think Bono pops Zooropa into his car CD player and sings along with Lemon at the top of his voice (like me). Hasn't he said before that he doesn't like listening to U2's music? I get it, it's his job to know the lyrics, but I don't think screws them up that badly, considering how often he actually listens to those songs.

I saw an Everclear show several years ago and Art Alexakis couldn't even make it through the first few songs without giving up completely on the lyrics. I left after about a half hour.

I think any wholesale setlist changes on a nightly basis would inevitably mean Bono forgetting/fucking up lyrics. "Love is blindness/ I don't wanna see/ hmm ohh yeah yeah me" and such like. So yeah, I think the most they'd do is small surgical changes to an otherwise well-drilled show.

Is there a time for timing timers?
Is there a time for time itself?

Here she comes. Heads turn a crown.
Here she comes. Surreal as a clown.

/360 experience.

I'm sure this is somewhere in this long thread already.

U2's Upcoming Tour: Three Fan-Friendly Scenarios | Music News | Rolling Stone

So let's pretend that this rumor is true. Here are some ways they could structure the shows to make the fans go absolutely insane.

Scenario 1 - Complete Album Shows
Night One: War + the new album
Night Two: The Joshua Tree + the new album
Night Three: Achtung Baby + the new album

Pros: It seems like the obvious move, since so many bands have had great success with this in recent years. Hardcores will go every night and they will finally get to hear super-deep cuts like "Drowning Man," "Red Hill Mining Town," "The Refugee" and "Acrobat" live. They could even swap around the albums as the tour goes on, forcing fans to fly all over the world for the chance to hear Zooropa or October live.

Cons: It's hard to imagine U2 will want to do something so nakedly nostalgic. Also, it can be a bit lame when you go into a concert and you know exactly what songs they're gonna play and in what order. It takes out much of the fun.

Scenario 2 - Decades Nights
Night One: The 1980s + selections from the new album
Night Two: The 1990s + selections from the new album
Night Three: The 2000s + selections from the new album

Pros: This is still an unabashed nostalgia-fest, but it opens them up to a broader range of material. On night one, they could play hits hits like "Where The Streets Have No Name" and super-obscurities like "I Threw a Brick Through a Window." It'll please the superfans, but not leave the casual ones bored.

Cons: To be frank, night three will be a bit of a letdown. There's plenty of great songs from the 2000s, but it's their weakest decade.

Scenario 3 - Theme Nights
Night One: Hits + selections from the new album
Night Two: Rarities + selections from the new album
Night Three: Band's choice

Pros: If they do this, they won't be tied to a single time period each night. The casual fans can all attend night one, and the hardcores can come to night two and have the chance to hear 1980s rarities like "Surrender" followed by latter-stuff like "Daddy's Gonna Pay for Your Crashed Car" and "Moment of Surrender." Then night three can be a nice balance of the two nights.

Cons: There really aren't any cons for this one. It seems like everybody wins, except the casual fans that find themselves at rarities night and have to endure "Your Blue Room" followed by "A Different Kind of Blue" and "Pete the Chop."

:cute: Aww.

:uhoh: If you've not seen this place right before the new album, I suggest you run. You run far, far away from here until at least a month or two after the album was dropped. It ain't pretty.
Not Interference, but I've seen other band forums prior to the release of an album. It's exciting and nuts at the same time. This place is going crazy analyzing the tiny bit of actual news we have, I can only imagine what it's gonna be like when there is a single, tracklist, release date, etc. It's gotta be a new post nearly every minute for weeks straight, with a lot of crazy, delusional, overexcited people.

Not Interference, but I've seen other band forums prior to the release of an album. It's exciting and nuts at the same time. This place is going crazy analyzing the tiny bit of actual news we have, I can only imagine what it's gonna be like when there is a single, tracklist, release date, etc. It's gotta be a new post nearly every minute for weeks straight, with a lot of crazy, delusional, overexcited people.

Yes. Exactly.

There will be people who say the album is the best thing ever, and then say it's the worst thing ever a month later. Some people will look at the track names and say that those are such stupid song titles that U2 is over and should retire. Things are going to get... unreasonable. But it's going to be exciting! :hyper:

I had no idea that he screws up the lyrics to those kind of staple-songs. I don't follow the tours as closely as you guys do.

That said, I've probably written close to two hundred songs. If you gave me a thousand dollars (for each song) to remember every word of them, I might make it into the 30' or...maybe 40's. But I don't sing them every night in concert. Point being, unless you're singing them a lot, there is no assurance that you'll remember them just because you wrote them. So I can forgive him for not remembering certain songs. But One, SBS and Pride? No excuse whatsoever. But there are only about 12-15 of those. Maybe 20 at most.

Now, if Headache is right about the teleprompter, then that changes things.
I don't blame him for using a teleprompter. I really don't. But if he can't get them right even while using one? Wow.

There are bigger fish to fry than Bono forgetting lyrics.
For instance, the quality of his instrument. His voice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom