More new U2 album discussion!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody else here that would prefer an album of half-awesomeness/half-shit to an album that's merely good most of the way through? At this point, I've given up hope on U2 making another masterpiece, so I'd rather get a few songs that give me "the chills" rather than some album I enjoy and then forget about.

I certainly agree with this. It'd be better (for me, anyway) to have an album with 5 or 6 songs that I repeatedly go back to than 12 songs that I enjoy for a month and then shelve.

I was listening to Hawkmoon 269 on my Dr Dres as I washed dishes this morning. It was so awesome I almost shat myself. These guys are capable of greatness one more time I really have faith.

Anybody else here that would prefer an album of half-awesomeness/half-shit to an album that's merely good most of the way through? At this point, I've given up hope on U2 making another masterpiece, so I'd rather get a few songs that give me "the chills" rather than some album I enjoy and then forget about.

No Line On The Horizon, unfortunately, lacked a single song that I connected with the way I had with about 50 other U2 tracks. There was nothing there that really made me go "wow!" although there was only one truly intolerable moment...I know I'm not the only one that felt this way as it was pretty much a dud with the casual audience.

I'm sure with Danger Mouse at the helm, we'll actually get some singles this time, so I should be satisfied. :up:

If you take Moment of Surrender, Fez-Bb, and one or two other songs out of NLOTH you have a pretty bland album. Im not saying the rest is shit, though some of it clearly is, im just saying it clearly falls short of expectations. Its ironic they launched the biggest/baddest/boldest tour ever off of the back of this album.

Has anyone been able to check the U2 related new websites registrations recently?

I wasn't around when NLOTH was released, but did they also register domain names back then? I just had a quick look at the @U2 news archive and it looks like they registered new domains around this time of the year via some "Digital:CC" company for both ATYCLB and HTDAAB.

Yes that's right, exactly the same format and we knew the get on your boots title quite early. Does anyone know how to search for these by date of registration?

If you take Moment of Surrender, Fez-Bb, and one or two other songs out of NLOTH you have a pretty bland album. Im not saying the rest is shit, though some of it clearly is, im just saying it clearly falls short of expectations. Its ironic they launched the biggest/baddest/boldest tour ever off of the back of this album.

I don't agree with this, but I understand your point. However, isn't that what the original comment stressed? The poster wanted several great songs over an album full of good songs. NLOTH, by your analysis, has those several great songs. Yet most people here are not happy.

One of the problems with NLOTH is time. We haven't had 20 years to really let it soak in. Another person commented about "Hawkmoon". I adore that song. But time is very much on its side. Furthermore, if I weren't such a big U2 fan, I wouldn't like it at all. If any other band did "Hawkmoon" I would be unimpressed. One may say that U2 made this song come alive, which is why it's so great. Maybe - Bono's vocal performance is masterful. But really, it's not a "wow" song - to me, it's a treasured gem on an U2 album that most people probably haven't heard.

And this is how NLOTH is - a bunch of treasured gems. Sadly, NLOTH was missing that "Beautiful Day" or "Vertigo" moment. NLOTH is like "Pop". Most "regular" fans know "Staring at the Sun" but that's about it. A music fan will probably fully enjoy "Moment of Surrender" but that's about it. Both albums lacked that one or two songs that just wowed everyone. Once those are in place, then one can have those gems and a few "eh" moments on the album (as was done on ATYCLB).

In other words, I would prefer a few "wow" moments over 5 or so great songs because the "wow" moments are what people really remember.

I'd have no grievances at all with three truly stellar songs plus three pieces of dogshit. In fact, several of my favorite U2 albums adhere to a similar pattern. R&H has Hawkmoon and Heartland, but also Love Rescue Me and VDL. Zooropa has Lemon but also Babyface and Some Days. The problem with NLOTH is that the spine-tingling ethereal songs of U2 lore are painfully absent. After four years, I don't find the best stuff (MOS, Fez, NLOTH) being in the same league as the aforementioned tracks. It delivers the dogshit alright (middle three) but not the chills. I'm hoping the new album has two or three songs that unquestionably belong amongst the pantheon of all-time U2 greats.

Yes that's right, exactly the same format and we knew the get on your boots title quite early. Does anyone know how to search for these by date of registration?

Yes, finding out what domains Principal Management have been registering lately would almost certainly give us the name of the new album (assuming they've settled on a name, that is).

Maybe someone smarter than me knows another way of doing this, but I believe you can do this through Domaintools.com... but you need to pay to get a report.

E.g., if you go to U2.com - U2 > Welcome you see that the domain U2.com is registered by Principal Management and that they own 55 other domains. One of those is likely to be for the new album. But you have to buy a report to find out what those are :(

No Line On The Horizon, unfortunately, lacked a single song that I connected with the way I had with about 50 other U2 tracks. There was nothing there that really made me go "wow!" although there was only one truly intolerable moment...I know I'm not the only one that felt this way as it was pretty much a dud with the casual audience.

I'm sure with Danger Mouse at the helm, we'll actually get some singles this time, so I should be satisfied. :up:

MOS made plenty of people go "wow".

Singles are the only way U2 achieves the relevance they so desire.

With that being said I'm happy with either.

I don't agree with this, but I understand your point. However, isn't that what the original comment stressed? The poster wanted several great songs over an album full of good songs. NLOTH, by your analysis, has those several great songs. Yet most people here are not happy.

One of the problems with NLOTH is time. We haven't had 20 years to really let it soak in. Another person commented about "Hawkmoon". I adore that song. But time is very much on its side. Furthermore, if I weren't such a big U2 fan, I wouldn't like it at all. If any other band did "Hawkmoon" I would be unimpressed. One may say that U2 made this song come alive, which is why it's so great. Maybe - Bono's vocal performance is masterful. But really, it's not a "wow" song - to me, it's a treasured gem on an U2 album that most people probably haven't heard.

And this is how NLOTH is - a bunch of treasured gems. Sadly, NLOTH was missing that "Beautiful Day" or "Vertigo" moment. NLOTH is like "Pop". Most "regular" fans know "Staring at the Sun" but that's about it. A music fan will probably fully enjoy "Moment of Surrender" but that's about it. Both albums lacked that one or two songs that just wowed everyone. Once those are in place, then one can have those gems and a few "eh" moments on the album (as was done on ATYCLB).

In other words, I would prefer a few "wow" moments over 5 or so great songs because the "wow" moments are what people really remember.

I wouldn't compare NLOTH to PoP. While NLOTH is not a *bad* album, in my mind the portrait it paints is mostly dull or overcast, save for one or two songs as mentioned before. On the other hand PoP is a continuous stream of vivid colors, sounds, explosive bursts, and mind bending skies that stretch for eternity. Its a 60 minute erection. Its like waking up to find out the supermodel you went home with the night before...really is a supermodel! With NLOTH we don't know that, because you wake up alone and depressed and you don't really want to get out of bed. At least that's how it is for me. I tried like hell to like it but its not something I could go back to again and again. I guess with u2 the bar has been set pretty high, so anything less than spectacular could be seen as a failure by some.

MOS made plenty of people go "wow".

It made me go "wow, that was boring".

Sorry for being harsh but I have to be honest about the song. Tried getting into it during the tour. Haven't listened to it for a couple years now. Maybe it's because I cannot relate to it thematically (and thank God for that) but the music to MOS puts me to sleep. Oh well.

Still trying imagine any other band having written the song "Hawkmoon" and then trying to guess if it still would have been awesome, but I can't even get past the first part.

More relevantly, MOS blew my mind right away. It's amazing.

'Moment of Surrender' was never on the level of say a 'One' or a 'With or Without You' for me (or the general public, as the charting would show) -- but I would say 'Magnificent' and 'Unknown Caller' have some spine-tingling moments. The familiar, yet elusive U2 magic comes out in those songs. 'Moment of Surrender' seems more like 2000s U2 by the numbers to me. But it's a nice, verging on adult-contemporty pop song if you like nice, verging on adult contemporary pop songs. The verses are more unique, and some amazing vocal work by Bono. The chorus suffers from the very thing that makes it great: It is very poppy, and is where the song becomes more generic, IMO, in contrast with its passionate, not so poppy verses. But again, as pop song, it's a nice song, and has more depth than most pop songs on the radio. For me, if you're going to go "pop", don't sacrifice such amazing verses on that song. If you're going to go "pop", go all in, like 'The Sweetest Thing', which I actually enjoy on a pop level more than 'Moment of Surrender'.

I guarantee you if Pearl Jam (just plucking a band from mid air) did Hawkmoon, it would be great. Imagine Eddie hitting those baritone notes in the verses and then screaming at the end. Imagine McCready wailing on it. Imagine the chugging churn of Ament and Cameron's backbeat. Imagine Gossard holding it down with a driving rhythm. Imagine they had a group of female singers with them to sing the outro just like with the original.

It would be totally freaking awesome.
Why? Because it's a great band doing a great song. Not too complicated.

It made me go "wow, that was boring".

Sorry for being harsh but I have to be honest about the song. Tried getting into it during the tour. Haven't listened to it for a couple years now. Maybe it's because I cannot relate to it thematically (and thank God for that) but the music to MOS puts me to sleep. Oh well.

If you start singing about atm machines
youre gonna have a bad song.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom