More New Music Rumors and Such...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
back to ndm's comment about the reccent album's having no songs that "transcend".

Must differ with you strongly!
For me transcendence is in the Muisc, the Lyrics and the Singing- any one or more of these. The more of these there are ...usually the more transcendent it is for me.

On ATYCLB- the 2 that quicly come to mind are Walk On and Kite. Kite esp live, Walk On recorded, AND the version done on the post 9-11 Televised Benefit Concert with the Halle Halle Hallelueia chorus.

On HUTDUB - City Of Blinding Lights, Miracle Drug, Yahweh

now to me.... NLOTH -- i consider NLOTH to stand next to Achtung Baby , and probably JT next to them both- as the penultimate albums of U2 or any rock group.

One very major reason for it.... I consider it to have some of the most (and many)transcendent songs on there!
No Line (the song), Breathe, Unknown Caller, Magnifcient, Fez-Being Born, (original) Crazy Tonight* and parts of MOS.

(* the redone CT Live is fabulous fun , but i do not consider it transcendent.)

I am so happy with NLOTH (even if DOn't love every song on there, I love so many of them.

First half is okay, but as mentioned, it seems to fall apart half way through.

Think the song was written for Bono to sing.

back to ndm's comment about the reccent album's having no songs that "transcend".

Must differ with you strongly!
For me transcendence is in the Muisc, the Lyrics and the Singing- any one or more of these. The more of these there are ...usually the more transcendent it is for me.

On ATYCLB- the 2 that quicly come to mind are Walk On and Kite. Kite esp live, Walk On recorded, AND the version done on the post 9-11 Televised Benefit Concert with the Halle Halle Hallelueia chorus.

On HUTDUB - City Of Blinding Lights, Miracle Drug, Yahweh

now to me.... NLOTH -- i consider NLOTH to stand next to Achtung Baby , and probably JT next to them both- as the penultimate albums of U2 or any rock group.

One very major reason for it.... I consider it to have some of the most (and many)transcendent songs on there!
No Line (the song), Breathe, Unknown Caller, Magnifcient, Fez-Being Born, (original) Crazy Tonight* and parts of MOS.

(* the redone CT Live is fabulous fun , but i do not consider it transcendent.)

I am so happy with NLOTH (even if DOn't love every song on there, I love so many of them.

I guess the only thing I'd consider close to transcendent live from the last three albums is U2's performance of 'New York' in Madison Square Garden in June 2001. That was amazing, but you had to be in NYC to really appreciate it and it was probably the mix of place, audience, and U2's connection with NY that energized the song like that.

I'm indifferent to the Spiderman thing. Whether it's a success or a failure, it doesn't really matter to me. I'm more interested in new material that has nothing to do with comic book characters. What can I say, I was just never into comics.

Ugh....spiderman sounds horrible. Poor Bono, it must hurt to hear his song butchered by a mediocre performer. This band can't make a good decision to save thier lives.

And the day you see an album called "U2: Spiderman" is the day Larry leaves the band.

Don't understand the hate for BFFTS. I like it, especially when I imagine a version with Bono on vocals.

Also, "Every Breaking Wave" was performed again tonight, in what I think is one of Bono's better vocal performances. Also it's "Every gambler knows that to lose is what you're really there for" again, which is good news.

I'm indifferent to the Spiderman thing. Whether it's a success or a failure, it doesn't really matter to me. I'm more interested in new material that has nothing to do with comic book characters. What can I say, I was just never into comics.

:applaud: :up:

I think my big problem with the Spiderman project is that, because it's obviously been an organisational and financial fiasco up until this point, I suspect that Bono and Edge have found it more of a distraction than they ever envisaged. It's not a U2 project, yet it has to have required plenty of creativity - I don't believe that Bono and Edge would deliberately make less of an effort with the Spiderman material than they would if it was for a U2 project. Or, maybe they are able to approach 'Spiderman' differently and keep it totally separate from 'U2'. When did they find the time to do this though?

I''m conscious that I'm maybe rambling around a point here! I think it's maybe because, despite their consistent claims to always have final album tracklistings whittled down from dozens of songs (50-60 for NLOTH, for example), there's little evidence that they're actually that prolific. Even though I applaud the inclusion of, and am excited by the quality of, the unreleased material currently being performed and rehearsed, it's not exactly all 'new', is it? Imagine if Edge, sitting in his hotel room, suddenly came up with a great new song and then convinced the band to perform it on stage that night, even if only as an acoustic version with guide lyrics. It would be thrilling if they were brave enough to take that extra step, above and beyond even what they're doing right now, which is basically roadtesting lyrics and arrangements on songs in the harsh glare of a high-profile tour. In itself, that's very brave for U2, and certainly worthy of commendation.

However, back to Spiderman. Personally, I think it's going to be a flop. If the financial predictions are in any way accurate, it seems like it'll have to sell out for years just to break even, and I doubt if even the greatest show ever made could manage that. Don't get me wrong, I don't necessarily want to fail, but I think that it will. If the songs are good / great, then Bono and Edge's creative effort will have been wasted unless there's some way of rescuing them. But if they don't fit as 'U2' songs, then that's it. I'm not sure if Adam or Larry have ever commented on the Spiderman project, but there's no reason why they'd necessarily welcome the possibility of recasting those songs into band material. If these songs already exist as full arrangements and melodies, what could they really change to make them different?

On a related point, I think that the big interest in Spiderman is hearing how well Bono and Edge can manage on a large body of songs without Adam and Larry's creative input.

The Spiderman song is pretty good, certainly better than a lot they've released in recent years. Obviously it will sound a lot better if U2 ever perform it. :up:

I'm indifferent to Spiderman too. Musical theatre is just... not for me. The music is awful, the acting is awful, the story lines are generally awful.There are some that are different/creative that I would be happy to see (Avenue Q was great), but when I think of hell, being trapped in a theatre for a never ending performance of something like Wicked is pretty much it. Or strapped up to a loop of Andrew Lloyd Webber songs. I would actually take the burning option, thanks.

Anyway, the song, there's not much to it. I don't really feel the need to hear it from Bono/Edge either. I haven't read the other Spiderman threads, or every single post in here, but surely it has been pointed out a dozen times already that the guitar bursts are just Dirty Day recycled almost note for note?

Heres the Zurich version of Every Breaking Wave. I still prefer the Helsinki one.
YouTube - U2 Zurich 2010-09-11 Every Breaking Wave - u2gigs.com

Edge is doing something different with guitar. He is playing deeper notes where in Helsinki they were higher.

And I dont wanna be negative Nancy with the whole Spiderman thing - I just think Bono and Edge could have invested their time better somewhere else. The whole thing just looks like a disaster. From the band to the costume to the art - it looks very cheap and ridiculous.

I think U2's next album will be big.

The more I hear of North Star and EBW, the more I think either would make for a big single. And Glasto might even have a shot. And who knows about Mercy.

Anyways, I think U2 may be about to dial back the subtlety... in a good way. EBW is subtle, I think, in the lyrical and thematic sense, but the melody is absolutely captivating. And I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

Really though, I think they're coming back full strength.

North Star still sounds kind of unfinished to me, unlike Every Breaking Wave, which is easily my favourite new U2 song out of the 4 they're playing this tour. The Vienna version is my favourite one. Of course I was there :D Seriously, it's a beautiful, simple song and Bono sings it beautifully.

The Spiderman song is good, not great, somewhat "unfinished" in the end, the guitar should be played by Edge, the song should be sung by Bono, it's totally a U2 song. I'm not very fond of the guy singing it, not a good vocalist and the performance was, well, a letdown for me. However, I wouldn't mind hearing U2 play that song live. Of course with musicals, the cast will sing the songs on the soundtrack and I don't think there will be a U2 "Spiderman" album, but it would still be nice hearing the band play some of this tunes. I don't think Larry and Adam would mind if the music is good. They also did music for movies and other side projects, and who knows maybe they like musicals as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom