More New Music Rumors and Such...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rattle And Hum era U2 written all over it. I would be happy with them releasing this as a song with just Edge and Bono. This could definitely turn out to be one of my favorite U2 tunes. Please guys release a recorded version of this.

I thought you meant the same as digitize did, and I didn't even give it a second thought. :lol:

But I agree, every time I hear Magnificent come on the radio (not often at all) I get super excited, until I remember the edit and it makes my tummy hurt a little bit. :sad:

Oh believe me, I do think radio is crap, :lol:, it just wasn't the point I was trying to make at the time!!

Oh please, sure it has ringing guitar and an uplifting anthemic sound, but other than the debt it owes to ASOH, it is hardly U2 by the numbers. That hypnotic rhythm, the extended build-up, the textural interplay throughout the whole thing, and the depth of the lyrics from such simple verses. It is not redundant with their career simply because it retains hallmarks of their sound. It wasn't a hit because of mistimed promotion and a poor radio. And in all honesty, most people are so cynical these days they'd much rather listen to something angry and depressive, or simple and raunchy than loving and positive.

I think you've got me all wrong here - I don't mind uplifting, loving, or positive. I just don't think it's a good song. "Original of the Species" is one of my favorite U2 songs, and that's as uplifting and safe as it gets for this band. That being said, "Magnificent" sounds like something that could have been on ATYCLB, to my ears at least. It sounds like they wrote the natural successor to Beautiful Day and then, since they were trying to keep it kind of "weird" for NLOTH, decided to try and make it a little dancey. But it's not that dancey to me, I don't think the lyrics are anything brilliant at all ("Only love can heal such a mark" sounds like a caricature of a Bono lyric), and I'm just not impressed with it. It's obviously okay if you like it, it's just my opinion that it's not a good song. I don't understand where me not liking the tune leads into me preferring something angry or depressive. This band only has so many Acrobats and Exits, most of the songs are uplifting. In fact, just two tracks later we have a beautiful little uplifter called Unknown Caller which I love. I just don't like Magnificent.

The problem with Magnificent is that it peaks during the intro. Once the first verse starts, the best part of the song is already over (except for the slide solo, of course). I always thought the song would've been better as a slowburning, building, building thing, like the song Bad. Like the way it climaxes with those "wide awake" choruses, Mag would climax on the 2nd or 3rd "only love" chorus. It's a missed opportunity. But that intro, yea it's fucking awesome. So fucking awesome that it's the only part of the song I ever feel like listening to.

So, as for EBW - really really dig it!! I think it's better than NS and G, and it's the only tune out of the 3 new ones that has that kinda subtlety to it, like it makes me want to go back and listen to it again because I don't think I got every part of it. So, yea, really good tune!

North Star I still maintain sounds better with strummed chords rather than the chimey approach. Still sounds good in its more recent form, but with those chimes the song kinda loses it's melancholy feel, instead sounds like borderline anthem territory.

I think you've got me all wrong here - I don't mind uplifting, loving, or positive. I just don't think it's a good song. "Original of the Species" is one of my favorite U2 songs, and that's as uplifting and safe as it gets for this band. That being said, "Magnificent" sounds like something that could have been on ATYCLB, to my ears at least. It sounds like they wrote the natural successor to Beautiful Day and then, since they were trying to keep it kind of "weird" for NLOTH, decided to try and make it a little dancey. But it's not that dancey to me, I don't think the lyrics are anything brilliant at all ("Only love can heal such a mark" sounds like a caricature of a Bono lyric), and I'm just not impressed with it. It's obviously okay if you like it, it's just my opinion that it's not a good song. I don't understand where me not liking the tune leads into me preferring something angry or depressive. This band only has so many Acrobats and Exits, most of the songs are uplifting. In fact, just two tracks later we have a beautiful little uplifter called Unknown Caller which I love. I just don't like Magnificent.

To each their own. But just so you know, I wasn't saying you didn't like it for its positivity, that part of my post was talking about the reception of it as a single in the public at large.

And once again I disagree about it being in the vein of BD or ATYCLB, the arrangement of instruments alone shows that to be true. I like the simplicity of the lyrics, the style of the song almost necessitates it to me.

That said, even if I was to think the rest of it sucked, Edge's riff is so much fun.

I have a suspicion that Magnificent was probably a great song until Eno got his hands on it and made it "swishy"

This appears to be Magnificent in its earliest form, including Eno and Lanois. I wish they'd have followed this direction more and kept this rhythm and beat instead of taking it the way they did. But, its their song, so they can do what they want.

YouTube - U2 FEZ video bonus NLOTH HQ

In terms of the next album and Songs of Ascent, I'm wondering if meditative songs necessarily equate to 'slow' or 'ballad' type songs. I think that a song like Return of Stingray Guitar could fit on a SOA type album, full of meditative songs. I still think, despite the fact that SOA would have a theme, there would still be the faster tracks and slower tracks to keep it fresh. So songs like 'soon' and 'ROTSG' could still fit among those haunting meditative songs, while other tracks we assume woud be included, like North Star, might just as well be on the next rock album and take a form similar to WITS or soemthing... only time will tell!

Was that U2's comparison?

Rolling Stone, I think. A comparison ... sorry to all the fans I just don't hear a great song yet in EBW. NS, Stingray and even Glastonbury are better for me.

Though it could change once we hear the finished songs.

Every Breaking Wave? Wow! They had a song as good as this and left it off the album, so does that mean that they really considered Crazy Tonight and Stand Up Comedy to be better?! I know they're an all-time great band and I'm only a passionate fan, so what do I know? But still...! For once - and for me, anyway - a song that (even stripped to the core) justifies the hype.

More please, preferably before the end of the year!

(Oh, and a new version of NLOTH? Can that be considered NLOTH 3?!)

wasn't EBW on Gavin's NLOTH paperboard as "priority to finish"?
both melody & lyrics are 1st class, can't wait for the studio version
i can't believe they cut off such a greatness for SUC(k) :crack:

Lyrics time!

Every breaking wave on the shore,
Tells the next one there'll be one more,
Every gambler knows that to lose,
Is what you're really there for.

Some are ?? fearlessness
Now I'm speaking to an answer phone
Like every ?? leaf on the breeze
Winter wouldn't leave it alone

Hey now, hey now
I don't know if I'm that strong
Don't know if I'm that strong
To be somebody to need someone

Every sailor knows that the sea
Is a friend made enemy
And every shipwrecked soul knows what it is
To live without intimacy

I though I heard the masters voice
It's hard to listen while you preach
Like every broken wave on the shore
This was as far as I can reach

Hey now, hey now
To be somebody to need someone

The waves know we're on the rocks
And drowning is no sin
And you know my heart is
The same place yours has been
And we know the fear of winning
So we end before we begin

Oh-oh-oh-oh, oh-oh-oh-oooooooo

The waves know we're on the rocks
And drowning is no sin
And you know my heart is
The same place yours has been
And we know the fear of winning
So we end before we begin

You know it's really weird sitting here listening to this and finally hearing some of these lyrics that stuck in my head since over a year and a half ago. The Every sailor knows that the sea
Is a friend made enemy
never left my head so this is just really cool. :up: :)

(Oh and could it be "Like every solemn leaf on the breeze" ?)

I agree with those who made The Fly(elevation era) comparison.
It's the best of the new songs, though I think the full electric version will be better, but then I'm no lover of U2 acoustic songs anyway.
I rank them in this order
1. EBW
2. Stingray
3. Glastonbury.
4. North Star

EBW has that difficult to explain quality that U2 songs nearly always used to have, that it moves something deep inside of you, and that's something I haven't fely from them in ages.

I want a EBW single, with North Star and Stingray as b-sides, studio versions. I want it now. Damnit I like the new songs so much.

Can't choose a favourite though, they're all so good.

Feel like they need to know that EBW is wonderful.. They said they were gonna see what works onstage/with the fans. Guys, that song will work, truss!!!!:reject:

I think i remember hearing that Eno actually came up for the chords of the song... so the essence of the track is down to him. But i also remember him saying they had a very rock n' roll, 'masculine' version, too similar to the HTDAAB tracks, and he suggested they add the club beat and tone down the guitar, to make it more 'feminine'... which they did.

I actually hope they don't stop with G, NS, EBW, RS (hopefully not one of the four songs), and actually add a couple more new songs. It practically forces them to release it this new material.

Though I think the big mistake would be if they released only a live EP without studio versions.

hey guys. just got off the weekend and i am sure I missed a great setlist party. i just heard EBW for the first time and man that song is beautiful. great lyric and melody...what the hell happened? :wink:

I'm hooked on Every Breaking Wave; love the lyrics and how it sounds acoustically. Will be interesting to hear what the studio version will sound like.

I think i remember hearing that Eno actually came up for the chords of the song... so the essence of the track is down to him. But i also remember him saying they had a very rock n' roll, 'masculine' version, too similar to the HTDAAB tracks, and he suggested they add the club beat and tone down the guitar, to make it more 'feminine'... which they did.

I'd believe that. It's Eno that makes the song. Edge is not up to much. The lyrics are truly terrible. Without that driving beat and the lush swirling production, there's not much there.

OH MY GOD EVERY BREAKING WAVE I'VE BEEN WAITING TO HEAR THIS FOR LITERALLY A YEAR AND IT STILL EXCEEDED MY EXPECTATIONS :drool::drool::drool:
*ahem*
So...yeah, EBW. Should be a good single for SOA. Can't wait to hear the full version, especially if it builds in intensity like early reports said.

wasn't EBW on Gavin's NLOTH paperboard as "priority to finish"?
both melody & lyrics are 1st class, can't wait for the studio version
i can't believe they cut off such a greatness for SUC(k) :crack:

yes, it was on the original board with Gavin

"Hey now, hey now
To be somebody to need someone"

My god is that fucking cheesy. The verses are fine but this is crap. And I liked "I don't know if I'm that strong" the FIRST time, when it was in The Playboy Mansion. Come on, Bono. You can do better than that. The music doesn't sound very original or inspired, either. A passionate vocal does not a good song make, folks. So many people just go into Bono-hypnosis every time they hear a new track and fail to acknowledge the lack of anything else going on.

Yeah, it's better than Glastonbury or North Star, but that's not saying much.

Am I the only one here who still thinks Soon is the best and most promising new track from this year?

Am I the only one here who still thinks Soon is the best and most promising new track from this year?

maybe, but that's what opinions are for. I found most of the lyrics to be pretty good. I do love the tranisiton of "hey hey now" into the chorus. reading the boards here, like most u2 material, there are haters and lovers of EBW. I think the melody is pretty good as well. I hope to hear the studio version soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom