MLB 2009 Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So fucking lame. I wanted to see the big man finish his career, and keep moving past people on the all-time homer list, in Chicago. There's still a lot of life left in that bat. As for first base, of course he still can play it. It's not like he's missing a leg or an arm or something. He just won't give you much range over there, is all.

Ahhhh. At least now the Gentleman Masher has a good shot at his ring. Great move for Los Angeles.

Good luck, Jimmy.

:singletear:

I actually love Garland like a brother and think he's a hell of a competitor, as that fat ass World Series ring on his finger will attest to. I'm just kinda bummed out right now. Didn't mean to rain on your parade, trojanchick. Your already damn good baseball team just got better, so please continue celebrating.

The key to this deal might be the PTBNL. Maddon's quote from yesterday:

"We're very excited about the player that we can't name yet, but also about the other two," Rays manager Joe Maddon said. "The lefty has a great arm, and Sweeney is one of the best hitters in the minors."

From this quote, many are speculating that the PTBNL is the center-piece of the deal. Keith Law says that the PTBNL in this trade is definitely more than a throw-in.

If the PTBNL ends up being Brandon Wood, I'm gonna shit. I mean, that would feel like a punch to the gut. I'd hate to see Sean Rodriguez go, too.

Oy. It looks like the PTBNL is Sean Rodriguez...

-------------
Angels add five to roster; Sean Rodriguez is not among them | Angels Unplugged | Los Angeles Times

Angels Unplugged
Steve Bisheff & the Times staff go deep with the Angels

Angels add five to roster; Sean Rodriguez is not among them
August 31, 2009 | 10:59 pm

With teams allowed to expand rosters Monday, the Angels recalled five players from triple-A Salt Lake after Monday night's game, infielder Brandon Wood, outfielder Reggie Willits, catcher Bobby Wilson and pitchers Sean O'Sullivan and Rich Thompson.

The fact that infielder Sean Rodriguez, who is batting .301 with 29 home runs and 93 RBIs for Salt Lake and has extensive big league experience, was not called up has fueled speculation that Rodriguez is the player to be named later in the Scott Kazmir deal.

--Mike DiGiovanna in Seattle
-------------

The Rays acquitted themselves well in this deal, believe me, guys.

One of my favorite non-game baseball memories:

The Yanks and Rangers had a mini-altercation. Toby Harrah had bowled Joe Cowley, the Yankee pitcher, over on his way down to first base, if memory serves. Cowley tried to tag him out on a slow roller, I think. My memory on the specifics is fuzzy, but I remember with perfect clarity what happened the next day. I was at the game, the NY Papers were screaming for Harrah's head.....so during BP, I saw some Rangers signing autographs. I went down to the players, and started talking to Dave Stewart. It was hot as fuck, so he was sweating pretty profusely. I was 2 feet away from him and said to him, "hey, where's Toby Harrah?" He would not reply. I yelled more loudly "Where the hell is Toby Harrah?!!??!" and Stewart yells back "He's looking for you, clown". I laughed my ass off. The best part is that I was either 12 or 13. So, a 12 or 13 year old is pretending to be wanting to fight Harrah, and Stewart calls a 12 or 13 year old a clown. Love it.
Reminds me of a similar story...somewhere early 90's, Red Sox hosting Orioles in an April game back when you could stroll to Fenway on a cold April Saturday afternoon and just purchase tix and go in. Me and 2 of my friends decide to go to the game last minute, grab bleacher seats. Late in the game a pitcher named Williamson is warming up for the O's, we have now moved behind the visitors' bullpen as the crowd has thinned (it was like 45 degrees out). My friend Chris after a "few" beers goes and stands behind the bullpen and says "Hey Williamson, my grandmother throws harder than you", Williamson turns around and says "then how come your grandmother isn't a major leaguer?" Chris has no reply and walks away shamed, and my other friend and I are in stitches.

As for first base, of course he still can play it.

I lol'd.

"We're not brining him over here to play first base," Colleti said. "We're bring him here to come off the bench and be a great influence in the clubhouse. He's one of the true great guys in the game.

"In fact, the night before the deadline he called me. ... He just said: 'I just want to be honest with you. I'd love to come. I want to help you guys any way I can. But playing first base is not something I'm going to be able to do -- maybe in an emergency situation, perhaps.'"

Cubs fans even attempting smack talk amuses me.

At least Philbert is nice and well mannered.

I guess what I did was smack talk, though I think it was taken more offensively than I had hoped. My AL team is the Tigers. I can't help but get sucked in out here in Michigan. I meant no disrespect...

Go Orioles!

Perhaps you missed my point...or maybe I'm missing something? You asked "Can he still play first?"

Of fucking course he still can play first. Hell, I can play first. I just wouldn't be very good at it or have any desire to do it on the major league level...just like Thome at this point in his career. I'm sure even your old ass can play first base.

Anyway, the whole situation reeks and I'm going to go cry myself to sleep.

Huge doubleheader for the Rangers today. Gotta grab the first one, since McCarthy going in the nightcap is about as close to a guaranteed loss as it gets.

Good call, Wash. Good call.

There's really no reason why I dislike him so much, but I do.

Grilli? Always gives up something. Always.
Every day Eddie? Homer waiting to happen.
CJ? Occasional greatness is overshadowed by some pretty high profile fiascoes (at Detroit the first week of the season is what made me snap).

The rest of the roster? Love em.

Perhaps you missed my point...or maybe I'm missing something? You asked "Can he still play first?"

Of fucking course he still can play first. Hell, I can play first. I just wouldn't be very good at it or have any desire to do it on the major league level...just like Thome at this point in his career. I'm sure even your old ass can play first base.

Anyway, the whole situation reeks and I'm going to go cry myself to sleep.

Dude, come on, don't be so literal. We're talking sports here, and you damn well what the question means. And in the context of this discussion, no, he cannot play first base.

Also, I'll bet I'm a better first baseman and hitter than you are, you snot nosed punk. Just don't challenge me to a footrace, that would be cruel.

Dude, come on, don't be so literal. We're talking sports here, and you damn well what the question means. And in the context of this discussion, no, he cannot play first base.

Also, I'll bet I'm a better first baseman and hitter than you are, you snot nosed punk. Just don't challenge me to a footrace, that would be cruel.

You're a better player than him? Why cause he's an alcoholic?

Two words: Mickey Mantle

You should know better.

I don't like AJ Burnett.

And this is not hindsight, I loved the Tex and CC signings but never liked the AJ signing. There might even be interference evidence of this.

You mean you don't like spending 82.5 million on an erratic, walk-happy righty who never gets more than a handful more wins than loses, is prone to wild pitches, had one good season at the age of 31, and doesn't have ace-caliber stuff? Hmm...

COOL WHIP with his first homer in what feels like months!

I clearly remember not liking the CC signing, but I gotta give the big lug credit; he's having a solid year.

Looking at the earlier thread, you and I agreed that CC was getting too much $$$ but I still maintained that it was a good signing. Dude's unreal in August, he actually gets stronger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom