MERGED-->U2 Vertigo vs Coldplay Twisted Logic+ (Is it me or do a lot of bands)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oy, if we're not going to stay within the guidelines of the original post, we may as well close this thread.

In the interest of bsp77, as I'm sure you'd like to keep this open :wink:, please only post if you've actually seen both shows. If you want to turn this into a Coldplay sucks vs. U2 sucks vs. I suck tantrum, go back a few pages in the EYKIW forum & find the merged "Coldplay can kiss my ass" thread.

Otherwise, please only post if you've actually seen both shows and have an honest opinion as the result of that. This has been a fairly interesting thread so far.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
of course

because as we all know, u2 invented the video screen.

and the color red.

and cheetos.

I alway knew they were behind the cheetos:drool:

haivng seen Coldplay on Saturday Night and U2 on Tuesday night I can probably give an open opinion - Coldplay's lighting was like u2's - perhaps in the fact that the screen looked kind of like one one used for the elevation tour and several elements are the same but they are 2 different bands altogether

Chris Martin was very engaging with the audience - the band all bunched up together for Kingdom Come and Ring of Fire - Chris Martin ran out into the crowd during In My Place
It was a great concert just not in the same way a u2 concert is for me:shrug:

I enjoyed the lighting as well but they might have been from the fact that the couple next to me steadily smoke an ermmm... illegal substance the entire show and I might have inhaled a bit of second hand smoke

plus steak n shake tasted amazing after the concert:drool:

U2's show comes from a different place - if you matched coldplay's twisted logic tour to the war tour (both with 3 albums under their belt at that satge in their careers) I'd pick the mulleted Bono any day

that being said I look forward to what coldplay has to offer in the future

i have seen both... and i loved both. but the big difference to me was the strength of chris martin's voice compared to bono's stretching to reach high notes. sorry to say, but martin's voice sounded alot better. and yes, when he is 45 i am sure his voice will be similar. i was surprised at the energy that coldplay had, i figured that it would be a sit down concert, but i was standing and having fun most of the time. i expected u2 to be great, but i didn't expect coldplay to be great, and they were. u2 kinda disappointed me in chicago and philly... but then cranked it up in jersey and msg. sounds like they are reenergized for this third leg, so we will see. as for coldplay, we will see how martin responds to the recent problems with his throat.

coldplay obviously stole all their influence from u2... just look at all those u2 songs that have bono playing the piano.

This is while I have always admired Headache.

Impressions on Twisted Logic firsthand after tomorrow night's front row experience
:drool:

of course

because as we all know, u2 invented the video screen.

and the color red.

and cheetos.

You know I luv ya Gabe but ya gotta admit, that`s pretty funny! :lol:

(and you know how I feel about Coldplay too!)

Last edited:
I have been half and half about seeing Coldplay. After reading this thread I really want to see them later this year. No band will come anywhere near U2 for me so I won't be comparing them, but CM has a unique addictive voice and there is plenty of room on the music planet for both bands. Fix You :drool:

@ nurse chrissie...what is steak n shake?

1stOne said:
I have been half and half about seeing Coldplay. After reading this thread I really want to see them later this year. No band will come anywhere near U2 for me so I won't be comparing them, but CM has a unique addictive voice and there is plenty of room on the music planet for both bands. Fix You :drool:

@ nurse chrissie...what is steak n shake?

White Shadows, Politik, Fix You, Til Kingdom Come, Clocks. hell the whole set list was just superb. You'll love it :wink: :drool:

I've been to both Vertigo and Twisted Logic and enjoyed them both very, very much, U2 wins in my book, just because they are much more evolved in terms of the theatrics of the show.

I didn't even read this all this thread, but both bands are mutual friends and respect each other.

At least Chris Martin isn't like Henry Rollins, who slags off U2 all the time!

I've enjoyed reading this thread! :up:

Through circumstance, I missed Coldplay the last 2 times they were in Australia. Now they've announced their Australian tour next year, (UNLIKE SOME I COULD MENTION :madspit: ) I'm definitely going! :hyper:

Coldplay is so much better in concert!!!

I've seen Coldplay twice and love them to death!! There was so much love and energy coming from Chris martin. I was at U2 last Wed. in Chicago and was very disappointed!! Bono was my hero and noew I feel let down. I felt no energy coming from him. As if he was going through the motions for the show. Very sad!! Kudos to Coldplay!! They are the real deal!! They really love and appreciate their fans!!!!

i hate when the cheese (can you really call it cheese?) gets all over my fingers

Okay, I haven't seen Coldplay so I can't compare the two...but I have seen Green Day! Anyone else seen them this tour? I thought they were INCREDIBLE. I have so much more respect for them now. I have to say in terms of audience interaction they're at least as good as U2, if not better. Billie Joe pulled up a little kid to help him squirt the audience at one point :lol: and he was always running around between sides of the stage and the walk in the front. The bassist and backup dudes would run around too... but by far the highlight of the show was when they pulled up a drummer, bassist, and guitarist - and Billie let the guitarist KEEP his guitar! Must have made that kids' life (he was only 18!).

That said, I do wonder if Green Day has taken some pages out of the U2 handbook, or if they're just coincidence :hmm: during one song (I can't remember which one!!) Billie Joe had a spotlight and slowly shined it around the audience...sound familiar? :wink: but I don't know if U2 were the first band to do that, I'd be surpised if they were. also during Are We the Waiting they had stuff projected over the audience like the stuff at the end of Walk On... and there were other similarities, like the previously mentioned audience interaction. But I don't think GREEN DAY WERR COPING U2 OMG LOLZ, I just think there is a possible influence. For example, Holiday live always reminds me of Sunday Bloody Sunday though this could just be more a case of similar roots (like The Clash), but - "THIS SONG IS HOLIDAY, IT IS NOT ANTI-AMERICAN, IT'S ANTI WAAAARRR!!" vs. "This song is NOT a rebel song, this song IS SUNDAY BLOODY SUNDAY!" like I said I don't think they're copying off U2 I just got a similar vibe, which I thought was cool.

In terms of comparing the shows overall, of course my vote's gonna go to U2. Green Day had some nice extended jams, but some of them were a little too long imo. Billie did a call-and-respond thing with the audience about 50 million times, which was really cool, but a bit overused as he used the same one every time. Despite the pyrotechnics and such that Green Day had I think U2's shows are far more interesting visually and nothing beats the excitement I had when the little Zooropa baby came on and the whole Zoo Station experience :drool: My criticisms of Green Day live are more like nitpicking though...the fact is, these guys are BRILLIANT live. They aren't one of my favourite bands at all in the studio (the only album I have is American Idiot) but live they are up there with U2...in ten years time, who knows, they may be as good as U2 are now. But I do think U2 has this special spark that no one can quite replicate.

Back
Top Bottom